Question : How to "do your homework"?

Zeronta

Sep 10, 2010
Hi, yes I have searched up many threads with people mentioning "do your homework" before buying camera equipment, because they quote different prices to different people on different days.

Question is, how to "do your homework"? Is simply calling up 5 shops on the same day enough? Or do I have to call a few times over the week to find the best price? What else do I have to do?

Thanks.

Call/email/go down personally to shops and write down all the quotes you've got and get it from the one you find it worthwile...

For me, I will first check the Price Guides in Clubsnap for the items I want to buy. I'll use that as a reference point, then call up a few retailers that are recommended by members in this forum (and that I've had a good experience purchasing from) to get the latest price quotation from them. After they quote me the prices, I'll ask for their name. From there, I'll decide where I want to buy from. If you want to be extra cautious (though I think this is very extreme), walk into the shop and ask for their quotation again, but don't say you called earlier. If they quote you something different, then you ought to get out of there.

It's best to consolidate all your orders and ask for quotations at one go. Sometimes one item is cheaper at A, whilst another item is cheaper at B. Total up the costs for each retailer to see which is the lowest overall.

Also, make sure you know what you want and what you don't want. By that I'm referring to accessories like filters and spare batteries which they may try to promote to you when you're making your purchase. Usually I'll trust the retailers I go to for their recommendations, but at the end of the day, it's a judgment call by the consumer whether to get these additional items that he didn't consider beforehand.

I haven't had any experience of prices fluctuating within a week. From a business' perspective, I think it would be too troublesome to constantly change the price lists, unless it's during a period when a new model is launched or something like that, then you may want to pay more attention.

Hope this helps.

most shop's equote usually states that the quotes is only effective within the 1 week. :)

just to add, usually cash terms only.

Some shops may not include the GST on their equotes, so you may need to take note of it.

just to add, usually cash terms only.

Some shops may not include the GST on their equotes, so you may need to take note of it.

I see. I'm paying cash anyway so thats okay. thanks.

First of all, know what you want. Read reviews, user feedbacks online about each camera strong and weak points. Then shortlist the cameras that fits your criteria. Know the price from clubsnap pricelist then go to the shops try out the few you choose.

Try out as in ergonomics, not taking pictures and viewing on the tiny camera LCD screen and judge from there.

What's good about recommended shops is that they don't push other camera models to you and condemn the model you ask for (maybe for 1 of the shops from feedbacks).

So by knowing the pros and cons, the price, you won't get cheated. I trust the online community more than any salesman, whatever they say I don't care.

Especially true for filters.

Last and not least. Don't get side-tracked. Buy what you need. Someplaces will try to recommend things & accessories that you may not need.:)

Beside all the usual emailing and calling to various shops, I will also check the price in B&H and Amazon, which must include estimated shipping charges. This way I would know if I am paying the correct price for the item.

Hi, yes I have searched up many threads with people mentioning "do your homework" before buying camera equipment, because they quote different prices to different people on different days.

Question is, how to "do your homework"? Is simply calling up 5 shops on the same day enough? Or do I have to call a few times over the week to find the best price? What else do I have to do?

Thanks.

(1) check pricing mentioned on clubsnap now and then

(2) call up the few shops, and ask for quote, ask whether with gst , without gst, ask for name of staff.

(3) be clear on what item you are looking at, don't be a kuku and get quoted for sigma 18-50 non f/2.8 versus sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (for example)

normally how much are they charging if paid by credit card 12months?

Depends on the shop.

Usually charge 3% for Credit Card payments & 5% extra for instalments. Some places don't have this policy at all.
:)