Question from newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

khyou99

Dec 30, 2007
1.What setting is best used for shooting kids in low light condition at outdoor ? I tried the following setting but the result is bad.
• relatively high shutter speed (1/100s) with flash. The object is well exposed but not the background.
• Slower shutter speed (1/2s) to properly expose the background but got blur object since my kids is moving.

2.What is the significant of the max f number (minimum aperture) of a lense. For example, a lense with f/2 – f/4 and f/2 – f/5 ?

maybe try a higher ISO speeds?

Max f number would usually be about f22 for kit lens 18-55, if stated f2-f4 means it has zoom in it so

for example: 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
at 18mm min f number is f3.5, at 55mm min f number is 5.6

1.What setting is best used for shooting kids in low light condition at outdoor ? I tried the following setting but the result is bad.
• relatively high shutter speed (1/100s) with flash. The object is well exposed but not the background.
• Slower shutter speed (1/2s) to properly expose the background but got blur object since my kids is moving.

2.What is the significant of the max f number (minimum aperture) of a lense. For example, a lense with f/2 – f/4 and f/2 – f/5 ?

What flash are you using? are you using the built-in flash? Try using a SB800 or SB600 for the longer reach of the flash.

I have got 2 kids too, and I use a high shutter speed. Try using the S-priority setting (1/100 should be alright in low light condition). Your aperture would be quite large at perhaps f/3.5 - f/5.6 (max for your 18-55), so your depth of field is quite shallow and background will not be in focus most times.

Anyway, must you have everything well-exposed? It depends on what you want to capture? Your children's face, your children's action, or the surrounding as your subject? Think about what you want to show in your photo too.

Status
Not open for further replies.