Question : Can Canon 550D use 24-70mm f/2.8?

Evolutionary

May 21, 2010
Hi all,

I am currently using a canon 550d, I need a lens to shoot indoor/outdoor for my friend's wedding day.
Just want to check is 24-70mm f/2.8 the best lens to use?

Thank

Yes 550D can use the 24-70 but it's not advisable as 24 x 1.6 = around 40mm, which maybe too narrow sometimes. If you want the 2.8 aperture, I recommend canon EFs 17-55mm 2.8 with Image Stabilizer. The reach is just right and IQ is similar to 24-70.

Like what alwaysjerricky had mentioned, 24-70mm (EF mount) can be used on the 550D, but it might not be the best lens to use, depending on how you want to frame your photos. On a crop sensor camera, 24-70mm is not really that wide.

Hi thank guys,

Other than 17-55mm, is there any lens suitable for weddings?

Hi thank guys, Other than 17-55mm, is there any lens suitable for weddings?

15-85, sigma 17-50 2.8, tamron 17-50 but this has no silent focusing so if this bothers you do take note.

Hi thank guys,

Other than 17-55mm, is there any lens suitable for weddings?

This links sums it all up...
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Wedding-Lens.aspx

Beyond equipment (equipment is just at the most 10-15% of the equation) is the skills to get to the right spot at the right time and framing it nicely.

If you are about to charge for some wedding photo shooting service, you should at least have the knowledge of what focal length works for you.

Hi all,

I am currently using a canon 550d, I need a lens to shoot indoor/outdoor for my friend's wedding day.
Just want to check is 24-70mm f/2.8 the best lens to use?

No, you need to get a white lens for weddings.
Jokes aside, any lens that you are able to use will work. Kit lens, UWA, prime, zoom, you name it.
If you think that it needs f/2.8 then read up again about DoF, use a calculator and do some checks. Family members are not interested in thin DoF experiments. They want to see all aunties and uncles in group shots around the table. For this, f/5.6 and flash works best.
If you search the forum you will find similar threads and the recommendations are all the same. Lenses don't make wedding pictures.