Que Audio Mini Shotgun Microphone

Raptor937

Jul 9, 2010
[video=youtube;loMWvXEVDaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loMWvXEVDaI&hl=en-GB&gl=SG[/video]

Anyone have experience with Que Audio's mini shotgun microphones?

Seems like a very nice compact setup for home videos, but I've not been able to find many reviews on this particular microphone.

Last edited:
The audio in the presentation is very good. I took a look at the price in ebay and I think the price is much higher than the rode video mic. Of course the rode videomic is not a hypercardioid but I wonder if the price is justifiable since in the video BHPhoto says many of the accessories and cables are optional buys.

[video=youtube;-ewMZUNrihg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ewMZUNrihg[/video]

What Sam Mallery had to say about the mic.
This mic is sold in kits, and the one I used was the Q DSLR-Video Kit. It comes with everything a DSLR shooter needs (the mic, shock mount, shoe mount, output cable, wind protection, batteries and case). I really liked its size and sound. The mic itself is the same size and weight as a metal ballpoint pen. It has an impressively clear and present sound for such a compact shotgun. The output of this mic is a small, threaded connector, and it requires a special cable that screws into the thread. The other end of the special cable has another thread onto which you must attach a special output connector. Because there are so many proprietary parts, it’s best to purchase this mic in one of the kits. B&H sells just the QMSG1 mini shotgun on it’s own, but without all of the supporting accessories, it’s useless. This mic requires two button-sized batteries to operate. I believe they’re hearing aid batteries, so, in theory, you can easily pick them up at a local pharmacy. As much as I love the small size of this microphone, the included carrying case is impractically large. The included outdoor windscreen is a little too heavy for the mounting hardware to handle. The weight of the windscreen makes the mic swing away loosely from where you position it. But, as you can hear in the shootout video, this mic sounds really good. The sensitivity of this microphone and the sensitivity of the input on the GH2 are a match made in video nerd heaven.

What Chad Johnson over at dvinfo.net said about this mic
I understand the desire to hear the mics out in the world. As far as a mics susceptibility to wind goes, no mic is good in wind. All of these would be blown out with rumble. If I took these out in the wind, it would be a shootout between furries, not mics. And the physics of mic placement is the same for all mics: The further away a mic is, the worse it sounds. You can determine which mic would sound better out in the world (wind protection aside) by judging the side rejection. The VideoMic had the best side rejection. You can see by looking at the wave forms in the white noise test. It's a lot of work to try to get a situation to present the exact same conditions for 4 mics outside. What I hoped to do is illustrate the character of these mics in relation to each other. If the mic sounds thinner than the others in my studio, it will still sound thinner than the others on the world.

If you want my opinion:
The best sounding mic - almost a tossup between the VM and the VMP, with the VM edging out over the VMP with better side rejection. However the VMP has the 20db boost which is invaluable for use with noisy recording devices like DSLRs.

3rd place: the Que. Sounds thin, but has some fidelity. However - it lacks sensitivity, being at least twice as quiet as the rest. So when you record with it you have to turn up the gain, adding noise. In FCP I had to turn up my wav forms all the way to match the others, even when recording with 26db of gain on the T2i. BUT if you have a clean source of gain the noise is not an issue. If you record into a Sony D-50 you can run the mic on plug-in power and the D-50s clean gain will give you a nice signal. The mini boom pole is cool too.

Last place: MKE400. Pretty thin sounding to me. Even in a controlled situation, and talking right into the mic. Worst side rejection too. But the smallest package. So if you want your DSLR to look really cute with an adorable wee mic sitting on top - I say go for it! Ha ha. I expected more out of that mic. But as you guys said, it's not in the real world. Problem is I don't yet own a DSLR. I must return my borrowed one today. I would love someone like Sam Mallary to take the testing further, as I think he has both an MKE400 and a VMP. And I think he's doing a shootout too. So maybe he can take it a step further and step out in the world and go head to head with the 2 mics. He also lives in New York, which has lots of interesting stuff happening. I live in Arcata, Ca (next to Eureka Ca) and there is not much here. Just wind and rain....

Pretty good Mic and it comes in a complete kit. Surprisingly cheaper than BH..Got it from the dealer here locally..