Qns: Can i use my Micro 4/3 lens on 35mm film SLR camera?

Randall Chng

Feb 7, 2011
Hi, i have a few Olympus Micro four thirds lenses and am interested in getting a 35mm film SLR camera (maybe the Olympus OM-1). Would like to check if

1) My Olympus Micro four thirds lenses could be use on a 35mm SLR Camera (i.e. the Olympus OM-1)?
2) Which 35mm SLR Camera would be a good choice?

Thank you.

Cheers!;)

short answer is no

short answer is no.

even if you able to find a lens adapter to mount a M43 lens on a 35mm camera, you will see a circular image in the black hole in your viewfinder, and the similar image in your negative.

sensor%20lens%20coverage%20sets%202012.jpg

No.

And to add, most m4/3 lenses are all electronic.
Aperture control and focus won't work at all on a non-m4/3 camera.
Unless there is an adapter that does reverse engineering on the lens operating firmware.

Hi, i have a few Olympus Micro four thirds lenses and am interested in getting a 35mm film SLR camera (maybe the Olympus OM-1). Would like to check if

1) My Olympus Micro four thirds lenses could be use on a 35mm SLR Camera (i.e. the Olympus OM-1)?
2) Which 35mm SLR Camera would be a good choice?

Thank you.

Cheers!;)

It's quite obvious you are a total newbie in regards film cameras and photography.I wonder if you should even get into film.Digital is cheap and convenient compared to film nowadays seriously.
I have met a film diehard and he actually convinced me of the superiority of film over digital in
terms of image longevity and storage.He said how confident can one be to be able to access your image files 10-20 years later with different storage technologies? Now I'm not here to stir controversy but just to highlight issues particular to these image formats as an aside topic.

On the other hand this gentleman even goes as far as to say film is quite affordable but he added
that it's best to DIY.That is delevolope the film yourself with easily available chemicals and not
depend on shops.Now for a newbie it's a tall order to surmount.What I can say is to do some research.
What film camera to get and what type? Rangefinder or SLR? Some suggest a rangefinder like Yashica
electro35 and it's varients but it has a fixed lens that cannot be changed like SLR.Which SLR then?

Even if you have the camera what is the process of transfering from film negative or slide positive or transparency to digital to post process and store? Talk about scanning whether DIY or commercial shop? It goes on. So fools rush in where angels fear to thread haha.I have met ayoung student who was bent on film an bought a Canon film camera on impulse, I do not know how she ended in terms of the photographic interest. My best advice if you are still gungho about film, start with black and white film as photographic art is predominently in black and white.;)

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone for the advice! i will reconsider again!