Q about Digi Cabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine's 10 o'clock is ard 46-47%. if set to 9 o'clock, its ard 40-43%. Digi Cabi as well.

RainbowSix said:
I have some doubts on how these dehumidifiers works. I bought a DB 36 a week ago together with a colleague. Hence, we were like comparing among ourselves on the position that we shld be tuning the dial so that it will hit the 40% - 50% range. However, I realize that that we do not meet: for example, i could be hitting 40% when the dial is pointing at 10 o'clock but he hits 40% at 12 o'clock position.

This makes me wonder if:
1) The dehumidifier control works so what like a thermostat - each dial position will dictate a specific manufacturer's setting (eg xxx%...). Hence, the controls keeps 'drying' the air in the cabinet until the desired RH is reached and stopped. It is like saying i want to heat a kettle of water until 50 degrees. Once it hit 50 degrees, it stops; or

2) The dehumidifier control works independent of the actual RH - each dial position will dictate how hard shld it be drying the cabinet. It is like saying, in the context of heating a kettle of water, I will always add a 1m branch to support the burning fire. Depend on how much water there are in the kettle, it might not always boil.

(2) is different from (1) as the former is dependent on the local environment that you are in. Assuming (1) is valid and a test is done on a same unit in two vastly different location (Singapore and desert). Without changing the position, the same RH value will be achieved.

However, if (2) is true, the unit will have to work harder in Singapore to change the RH to the 40% range in general than the unit in a desert, while maintaining the dial position unchanged. While keeping the unit at the same place and dial unchanged but yet the RH changes, it would means that the RH of the environment has changed.

In view of my experience with my colleague and the example stated in this threadstarter, I tend to believe (2) is true and that the situation faced by Knoxknocks in the rising RH is normal?

Appreciate your views, pls. Sorry if this does not make sense. :sweat:

In my experience with these dehumidifiers, the thing is to never trust the built-in analog hygrometer to tell you what the actual humidity is in the cabinet is. It is highly inaccurate. And the sensor that controls the dehumidifying unit is equally inaccurate. And both the sensor that controls the dehumidifying unit and hygrometer are not linked so you won't know what setting gives you the desired humidity level. You have to push the thing to the max and pull it back to the desired humidity. It takes a few trys before you figure out where to put the dial to. And each box has a different setting for the same humidity level - don't expect digital accuracy here.

If you want more accuracy in you humidity readings only, buy a digital hygrometer from Sim Lim Towers for about $20-40.

The lowest I've managed to get all three of my Dry cabinets (two AmPros and one Tropic Dry) to go down to is 20% humidity on high. They usually hover around 30-40% on medium-high, 50-70% on medium.

But as long as you have the cabinet at about 50% humidity, you should be right.

For the old non adjustable cabinets, the dryer unit goes through a typical cycle of 6hrs dehumidifying and 45mins of desiccant drying. For the cheaper analogue adjustable cabinets, the RH adjustment knob simply shortens or lengthens the time the desiccant is allowed to dry the air inside the cabinet. As for the new digital models, there is a humidity sensor that determines the exposure time of the desiccant to maintain the correct humidity in the cabinet. Hope the clarifies things.

I just purchased the Digi Cabi DB-036 1-2 weeks back and had a huge problem getting my dry cabinet to stabilize. I had set the dail at the "ideal range" (or so the info sheet claimed) but noticed that humidity was dropping constantly, abit slowly.

After some trial and error, I had managed to stabilize my humidity level at a very comfortable range of 47-52%. The high rainfall levels the past several days has not really affected my digi-cabi given its location placed.

O..the dail points to ..about 0900-1000 hrs location. Just slightly more (towards the 9) and the green light shuts down.

Hope the above helps

Bleuwhale said:
I just purchased the Digi Cabi DB-036 1-2 weeks back and had a huge problem getting my dry cabinet to stabilize. I had set the dail at the "ideal range" (or so the info sheet claimed) but noticed that humidity was dropping constantly, abit slowly.

After some trial and error, I had managed to stabilize my humidity level at a very comfortable range of 47-52%. The high rainfall levels the past several days has not really affected my digi-cabi given its location placed.

O..the dail points to ..about 0900-1000 hrs location. Just slightly more (towards the 9) and the green light shuts down.

Hope the above helps

Something must be wrong with my set.. . the green and red LED is always on!!! :confused:

Mine is closer to 8 o'clock position :dunno:

shouyi said:
Haha.. . it's so kind of you to mention me in your post.. . "I am that colleague".. .. ;p

Your views are very acadamic.. .. have you considered if our sets of out-of-order??

To all who are using digi-cabi, may I how where is your dial pointing at? 9 o'clock?
9 o'clock. There is 'A' letter on it. It is 44% RH.

Regards,
Arto.

shouyi said:
Something must be wrong with my set.. . the green and red LED is always on!!! :confused:

Mine too :angry:

I bought a DB 036 from Carrefour last week too.

Can anybody tell me what does the green light and red light represent?

Can't find the details in the manual.

Many thanks!

hoonming said:
I bought a DB 036 from Carrefour last week too.

Can anybody tell me what does the green light and red light represent?

Can't find the details in the manual.

Many thanks!
RED light is power.

GREEN light is humidity. Try to set the knob CCW (to the left), and see whether the GREEN light is dimmed or off. My setting is on 9 o'clock position, and give me 44%RH. The GREEN light is dimmed but not off.

Regards,
Arto.

nyxx88 said:
Mine is closer to 8 o'clock position :dunno:
Yups..

Sorry, but mine is also at the 8am position.... just a few "ticks" away from switching off...but I'm happy. My dig-cabi has stabilized at 47-52%

Grins - Lucky Brat

knoxknocks said:
errr...my set's digital ;)

I'm using the DHC-80L also.
If your's is still hovering at 60% after setting at 45% after a long time (maybe 5~6 hours).
You should consider contacting Digihub. The box is 5 years warranty so just make use of it.

I think it really matters a lot on your ambient condition where the cabi is.

I tried mine at 9am, which gives me 34% Humidity.
But my cabi is always 12 hours in air-con, and the rest of the day, in closed room with tinted windows panes.

Artosoft said:
RED light is power.

GREEN light is humidity. Try to set the knob CCW (to the left), and see whether the GREEN light is dimmed or off. My setting is on 9 o'clock position, and give me 44%RH. The GREEN light is dimmed but not off.

Regards,
Arto.

Hi Artosoft,

Yes, the moment I turn the knob CCW to 9 o'clock, the green LED becomes dimmer.

Why like that ah?

Andy Ang said:
I think it really matters a lot on your ambient condition where the cabi is.

I tried mine at 9am, which gives me 34% Humidity.
But my cabi is always 12 hours in air-con, and the rest of the day, in closed room with tinted windows panes.

Well, for the author of this thread is using a DHC series, there's no dial for adjustment.
Everything is done through digital presets. The cabinet would automatically bring the RH down to the required value regardless of operating environments.

hoonming said:
Hi Artosoft,

Yes, the moment I turn the knob CCW to 9 o'clock, the green LED becomes dimmer.

Why like that ah?
Your electronic Dry Cab is not a pro series one (like mine).

I suspect the knob on dehumidizer unit (that's on the back of the Dry Cab) is only for controlling the DC power supply to the Peltier element (Thermo-Electric Cooler, or TEC), the element that cold on one side, hot on the other side by DC power. If the green LED become dimmed, that's means DC power is also low (this will make peltier element work not at it's full power). We need this, as we need certain level of humidity (40-50% RH), not as dry as it can (I think it can be lower than 10% RH, but I haven't test it).

That's element's cold side (inside the Dry Box) will liquidating 'water on air'. This water will go through sponge to the outside of Dry Cab, and the element's hot side (outside the Dry Cab) will evaporate water to room (outside the Dry Box). That will make humidity inside the Dry Cab lower than outside (room's humidity).

If not pro series Dry Cab, you need to trial and error before you get 40-50% RH.
Many CSer reported knob pointer at around 8-9 o'clock position for 40-50% RH. That's a good start to test.

Regards,
Arto.

Hi, does it mean that it's still working if the green light is completely off?

My place is very humid, but my dry cabi has been staying around 25-35RH according to the panel. Don't know why. Now I had turn it just a bit up the 9 o'clock position, and the light is off. But it is still maintaining about 30-40RH range.

I just hope that the cabi is not spoilt. Or was it my panel. Any idea how much to get another meter to read the actual humidity? Please advise. Thanks.

Hoky said:
Well, for the author of this thread is using a DHC series, there's no dial for adjustment.
Everything is done through digital presets. The cabinet would automatically bring the RH down to the required value regardless of operating environments.

thanks. i'm still trying to figure it out. some days, it can go all the way down to 45%, and i feel that the unit at the back of the cabinet is warm. other days, it'll go all the way up to 60+% to 70% without opening the cabinet. i'm just monitoring it for a while. If it doesn't stay consistent, i'm gonna send it for repair.

Let me share a easier way here. I never power up my digicab. I put 1 Hippo or similar dehumidifier inside and it will keep the humidity at about 20+%. It can last a few months. This way I also can position my digicab anywhere and not limited to near an AC outlet. Some might concern about too low humidity but it works for me.

akak said:
Let me share a easier way here. I never power up my digicab. I put 1 Hippo or similar dehumidifier inside and it will keep the humidity at about 20+%. It can last a few months. This way I also can position my digicab anywhere and not limited to near an AC outlet. Some might concern about too low humidity but it works for me.
Why don't you buy sealed container and put Hippo. Cheaper than dry cab on your situation.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.