Putting your portfolio online, Flickr or custom website?

Aimevous

Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I just have a short question for the veterans here, do you put your portfolio simply on flickr or do you host + design your own website?

Has anyone tried both methods and does either method result in better sales/deals?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm interested in doing stock photography as well as to showcase some of my work to potential clients, so I'm torn between either presentation formats.

Personally I feel that flickr helps a bit more for stock work (in addition to the usual stock agencies), but it doesnt exactly give the kind of "feel" that a personalised portfolio site can.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

It's up to what is your preference. ;)

If you're having a registered business, you may consider getting your own website.
It may looks more "professional" (to some). ;)

If you're freelance photographer, you may consider putting your pics on a "free" online website (i.e. Blogspot)? :dunno:

All the best..

Thanks for your advice.

Currently I do have my own web server with a sizable space so hosting cost is not an issue, hence I was thinking which one has a better reach.

I'm a freelance though.

Thanks again :)

Your own website will be a better reach . . . :)

oh ok. I roughly understand already.. For those hosting on your website, what software are you using to host it? Care to share?

Wordpress with a photoblog theme or some photogallery system?

Greatly appreciate all the replies so far =)

i done all 3?

i hosted my photos on flickr to save bandwidth on my hosting plan, using a free script, i can pull the flickr photos and display it on my website which i made myself (its plain and simple as i dun need a fanciful website).

:)

I feel that putting a portfolio on a website is better. And Flickr for general image sharing.

facebook and flickr for friends' viewing and comments

own website for added functionalities and customized layout that are not available on flickr ...........

I would think that if you are IT savvy, then having a website or domain for your work is better. More customisable.
I am not, so I use site like Zenfolio that can host my portfolio and also allow some degree of customisation. I think Smugmug also allow that. This can also free up more time to practise photography rather than spend lots of time designing the webpage.

Alright, many thanks for the suggestion! Think I'll look through the various options this weekend :)