Purple Cast When Using Tian Ya ND8 Filters(Stacked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

liionel

Jun 4, 2007
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
hey guys, as the title suggests, the other day i was at punggol trying my hand at shooting the shoreline and decided to extend my shutter speed.

decided to try out my new tian ya filters and stacked 3 ND8s onto my tokina 12-24.

however i got a really purplish cast on my photos, almost red.

WB was set to auto.

is this normal? does this mean everytime i want to use the nd8, i'd have to set custom WB?

its abit late, tmr then post up sample pic of what i mean :)

meanwhile i hope people who use tianya or maybe even cokin filters can advise.

cheers!

cheap cheap filters, don't have so strict specification. one filter 5M (5 magenta) off, stack three filters will be 15M off

that's why some filters cost a few hundred dollars a piece.

is this normal? does this mean everytime i want to use the nd8, i'd have to set custom WB?

it's tianya, it's anywhere from $7 to $12 per pop.. don't expect too much from it to be fair.

try not to stack that many filters. wait for the light if you must, or stop down.

cheap cheap filters, don't have so strict specification. one filter 5M (5 magenta) off, stack three filters will be 15M off

that's why some filters cost a few hundred dollars a piece.

ahh i see. any way how to remove the purplish cast in my photos? i shoot in raw but somehow i'm not able to fully remove it..

Actually the higher end ones like Singh Ray also starts to give a little reddish hue on stacking a few.
The best situation for all is to use one that works right.

I am not too good in PS , cannot really advice on selective removal of casts without affecting the other parts of pictures.

Ryan

shoot raw doesn't mean you able to adjust anything or everything in one go, it you may need to do a lot of steps, like a lot of layer masks, does the purplish cast appear on highlight? midtone or shadow area, if it is overall it will be easiest.

shoot raw doesn't mean you able to adjust anything or everything in one go, it you may need to do a lot of steps, like a lot of layer masks, does the purplish cast appear on highlight? midtone or shadow area, if it is overall it will be easiest.

overall! gonna upload a sample real soon. hang tight!

DSC_1775NEF.jpg

there... :(

there are unavoidable color shifts when you do intensive nd stacking and cut out a lot of light.

sometimes the best solution is also the simplest, auto color here does this:

2819921581_685f2bfae7_o.jpg

highlight yellow/blue +10
magenta/green + 10
cyan/red -5

midtones yellow blue +10

and since the foreground is still pinkish (what a horror), use eyedropper, select background color, use a soft large brush set to 25% opacity and darken mode (foreground too also due to lighting differences).. and paint over:

2820763786_2fe12e84cc_o.jpg

it actually depends on the tones you want to have, i thought blue here would be good.

frankly i think the picture can do without color, since it is flat lighting here.

One good way to remove colour cast is to use Curve to set your white and black points right. Once these 2 are correct, all colour cast are gone. But in this shot, there is difficult to find the white and black points...so you can adjust it to your liking. By the way, in future, you may want to take an additional shot of know black and white object, then use it to set the black and white points, then duplicate the correction to the actual photo.

Hope this helps.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.