Punggol North Racial Harmony Street Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.

eikin

Apr 27, 2004
東京 Tokyo
Organised by Punggol North CCMC, Punggol North Racial Harmony Street Parade proved to be one of the most successful
community event in the GRC. I was covering the event under Northern Lights Photography Club (operating under
Rivervale CC, Punggol North GRC) together with poohbear, ortega, evq.

many thanks to yqt and tupi guy for coming down to help as well :thumbsup:

also thanks to icarus for i was using his 12-24 the whole evening (trying out something new, haha) the wide angle
wasn't easy to control and i was prolly on 12mm all the time. but hey, just try man,
decided to do a 'Wide and Tight' series for a change, here it goes ...

00_crowd.jpg

The Parade starts around 6pm, but more than an hour before that residents from around started to gather along the
designated stretch of Punggol Field road.

01_triumph.jpg

A vintage automobile on display along the road before the Parade. The Parade is part of Punggol North GRC's series of
events celebrating our National Day. It is somewhat reminiscent of National Day holidays of the past, where floats and
performances go into the heartlands.

04_play.jpg

02_fanfare.jpg

The welcoming party having little rehearsal before the arrival of the guest of honour.

03_chat.jpg

05_play.jpg

06_meeting.jpg

more preparation snippets.

07_GoHarrival.jpg

The Parade's Guest of Honour arrives, welcomed by a colourful multi-racial fanfare.

08_hostMP.jpg

The Hosting MP exchanging warm greetings with the Parade's participants.

09_launch.jpg

Minister of Defence, Teo Chee Hean, launching the Parade.

and the performance starts ...

10_give_your_hand.jpg

Give me your hand!

11_wushu.jpg

A wushu display

12_harvest_dance.jpg

'Harvest Dance' adapted from the African Zulu tribe

13_samba.jpg

Samba anyone?

14_band.jpg

and here comes the school band!

and a series of colour multi-racial dances
15_harmony.jpg

16_harmony.jpg

17_harmony.jpg

Hiphop and cheerleading coming together ...

18_hip_hop.jpg

19_hip_hop.jpg

and since Racial Harmony is the theme of the Parade, here're more colourful dances ...

20_harmony.jpg

21_harmony.jpg

22_harmony.jpg

23_harmony.jpg

24_harmony.jpg

The Finale is a dance item depicting the joyous atmosphere of weddings of different races.

25_finale.jpg

starting with the Chinese wedding ...

26_finale.jpg

here come the flower maiden distributing goodies to the kids.

27_finale.jpg

the classy European wedding.

28_finale.jpg

and the spinning bride!

29_finale.jpg

next comes the Sikh and Indian community.

30_finale.jpg

some energetic stunts from the Sikh representatives ...

31_finale.jpg

32_finale.jpg

and lastly the elegant Malay wedding ...

40_malay.jpg

41_malay.jpg

and the vintage cars drive past after the performances ...

33_finale.jpg

34_finale.jpg

The Guest of Honour and the Hosting MP are next invited to launch a new bus service
(service 34, from Punggol to Changi Airport)

35_bus_launch.jpg

36_souvenir.jpg

and a small token of appreciation from our little residents.

37_meet_the_people.jpg

Minister Teo proceeding to greet the residents of Punggol North after the Parade.

That's the end of my coverage posting here. cheers.
equipment:
D70s
SB-15
Sigma 12-24

Great coverage...like the ratio you did on the pics, works very well:thumbsup:

eikin said:
The Guest of Honour and the Hosting MP are next invited to launch a new bus service
(service 34, from Punggol to Changi Airport)

35_bus_launch.jpg

great, got direct bus to airport next time liao, no need to take train to go one big round or take bus to pasir ris then change train :thumbsup:

Nice! I enjoyed your pics! ;)

thanks guys for the feedback ;)

yangbeng said:
just one comment...~ watch out for the flash...alot of the highlights are blown. but its a nice series never-the-less

yah, i get what you mean. the flash power is not strong (SB-15 is a very very old flash) and a couple of times i'll have to sacrifice part of the pictures to expose the other parts correctly. it's really frustrating.

actually i should say the distance the flash cover is not wide and far enough, not enough power to light up wider areas

Wai said:
what ISO?

not enough ambient for the last few, should boost the ISO up or open up the aperture

yah, aperture already at 5.6. ISO wise, wanted to go up to 1600, but i don't like the noise at that level, think i stopped around 1200++, can't remember the number. but i did push up all the way to 1600 when the sun went down completely.

Wai said:
great, got direct bus to airport next time liao, no need to take train to go one big round or take bus to pasir ris then change train :thumbsup:
Bus svs 27 doesnt cover Punggol? :think: Anyway YQ, I find this cropping very funny as you were using the 12-24. Very unconfortable seeing the ppl at the both side. Like ET. Also, as mentioned, the flash...

sumball said:
Bus svs 27 doesnt cover Punggol? :think:

it is going to sengkang, unless i drop at TPE exit, cross the bridge and change bus 83 or go sengkang, take train to punggol, then take LRT.

when u are carrying big luggage, dun think u want to do that, that's why i usually take MRT to airport, minimal walking

sehsuan said:
the cropping aspect ratio feels odd to me.

the cropping reminds me of one of the series that Rueyloon took last time

anyway, it works for me except #4 #5, when the coverage is so wide until dunno which is the main subject.

also, the flash was uneven but can't help since he already push as much as he can...

a full frame body + fast ultra wide like 20mm/1.8 would be great ;p

sumball said:
Bus svs 27 doesnt cover Punggol? :think: Anyway YQ, I find this cropping very funny as you were using the 12-24. Very unconfortable seeing the ppl at the both side. Like ET. Also, as mentioned, the flash...

sehsuan said:
the cropping aspect ratio feels odd to me.

haha, those distortions. i'm still quite ok with that. as for the cropping aspect ratio, i wanted it 3:1, originally wanted to try 2:1, but i want to exaggerate the movement more, so compressed the frame somemore.

Status
Not open for further replies.