Publishing of photography books

picatso

Jun 6, 2009
Singapore
Hi, anyone has published any books whether related to photography or not, any advice to share?

Would love to know too...

Hahaha...

Hart

So what are you planning to publish? :)

And are you looking to go with a publisher or do it yourself?

I wrote and published a short story in 2003 (unrelated to photography). Went looking for a publisher, was told there wasn't a market for my work, so published it myself. Wrote and typeset it, paid a designer to do the cover illustration, got an ISBN number from NLB and sent the artwork to a printer. Mind you, I had over a decade of experience in DTP and prepress work at the time (I still typeset an occasional book), so all this was well within my general job scope. Marketing it was an entirely different story.

NLB has a good deal of information if you're self-publishing - Deposit

Since my own experience, there seem to be other options available e.g. Self Publish a Book - Lulu.com

Maybe publishing a dead tree book is getting outdate. EBook may be the way forward if the Ipad generation gets bigger.

if a physical book is not so possible, how about DVDs?

Need to make yourself famous first, then public maybe interested to read how to control and shoot those winning awards...

Hi,
We've published 2 relatively substantial booklets and 1 very small booklet
1 of them is on sale at BooksActually and Basheer.
Printing costs in singapore are crazy, and breaking even on them is tough. So if you're intending on making money from book smake sure you already have a list of people who want to buy it.

Apart from that it's enormously satisfying to get a book printed.

For smaller print runs you can look into digital printing (less than 1000 pieces)