Prosumer Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
For getting to know the ropes of more advanced photography thru prosumer before taking the DSLR plunge...perhaps a 2nd hand Panasonic FZ20 would be sufficient ;p

For getting to know the ropes of more advanced photography thru prosumer before taking the DSLR plunge...perhaps a 2nd hand Panasonic FZ20 would be sufficient ;p

The horrible ISO performance of the Panasonics might just turn him off photography entirely! :p

Best to get a Fuji, Sony or Canon.

The horrible ISO performance of the Panasonics might just turn him off photography entirely! :p

I agree.. Once a a FZ30 user and almost lost interest in photog.. But probably it's just me because my skill sucks :confused: Now using 400D a bit better hehe..

But some features of FZ I still miss... it's just the noise .. grrr.

CANON G7 for you sir?

Horrible cam, slammed even by many Canon fanatics. He's better off with a G5, a Fuji, the new nikon 5000 or a Sony H-series.

Heck, I'd even recommend the outdated Sony V3 over the G7.

Terrible ISO in low light, I agree but tremendous performance during the day and a constant F2.8 lens at all zoom ranges to boot.
with a Stabilization system added to it.
Just my own personal experience on the FZ20

Terrible ISO in low light, I agree but tremendous performance during the day and a constant F2.8 lens at all zoom ranges to boot.

Oh, nobody will deny the sheer quality of the Leica lens. But the body the lens is attached to horrible.

Come on, In the DAY, Even Sony T-Series is ok. :think:

Just my own comments on your post:
Even the old Sony V3 had a shutter-lag of <0.1 seconds, DSLR-speed in a small prosumer body.

shutter lag is one thing. but the ability to focus fast enough and snap; is another thing all together.

even with those USM lenses from the Powershot S series, it's still no match for SLRs.

and personally, based on this point, i'll never go back to any non-SLR cameras already. not even if i have to break my back lugging it around. =)

shutter lag is one thing. but the ability to focus fast enough and snap; is another thing all together.

Minolta G-HS lens... :lovegrin:

And the V3 could focus and shoot at wide-angle in up to 0.3 seconds. :D

FZ-20 was back then the best prosumer camera. And i still have it. Canon and Sony prosumer high ISO also cannot make it. Fuji :dunno: never try.

Well time to check out the newest prosumers in the market then or go for the great old timers :)

i'm using a prosumer and from my personal opinion, go get a second hand dslr.. the more u shoot, the more limited you feel with ur prosumer.. i bought my cam and after 3 months of shooting can already feel the limitations.. now saving for a dslr.. honestly, i kinda regret getting the prosumer.. haha

Exactly my sentiments. Prosumers IMHO is not a bridge, it is a bridge you will want to burn down eventually. So why build that bridge to burn down anyway? Just get your way across to the dSLR realm, then explore the land beyond already.

FZ-20 was back then the best prosumer camera. And i still have it. Canon and Sony prosumer high ISO also cannot make it. Fuji :dunno: never try.
Sony and Canon only have noise. With proper programs can save.

FZ-20 turns pictures into watercolour due to Panny's over-aggressive NR.. I don't know why they want to do something like that, maybe it looks good in tests.. =D

My personal views are that the DSLR or even a film SLR would be the way to go.... If I am not wrong, a used Nikon D70 (body only) is about $500 and a new Nikon 50mm F1.8 lens is about $175. If I were you I would spent the $675 on a DSLR and forget the prosumer camera.... since a DSLR would provide more flexibility for you to grow and experiment in the area of photography... the combination I have suggested would allow you to play with a shallow DOF that is not found in almost all prosumer cameras.

I am a newbie and I have struggled with the question of whether to get a prosumer or a DSLR. In the end, I got myself the Ricoh GX100 over the D80/400D simply because it is rather compact, has built-in wide-angle lens and the manual controls that I need for learning. Yes, there are various limitations but I have only just started on photography, I want to bring my camera everywhere and practice composing, getting myself familiar with the aperture and exposure settings whenever I see an opportunity.

Once I grow out of it, I will then switch to a DSLR and perhaps keep the prosumer as backup or give it to my gf.

Ghuka, perhaps you can give the GX100 a try as well?

Just my $0.02.

my advise is, if u have some spare cash to use, rent a dslr from our services offered/wanted section and feel the difference.. a prosumer is kinda restricting.. some of my prosumer problems im facing now are, that f1 race coming up? the prosumers shutter lag will kill u.. need that extra sharpness or dof? max only f8.. zooming in and zooming out so slow also.. with a dslr u just need to turn turn turn :bsmilie: u will also need to spend more money on that extra battery as the lcd takes alot of juice plus the resale value is terrible.. high iso is terrible especially for panasonic.. looks like a waterpainting.. sigh.. my prosumer.. go get a second hand dslr !! :bsmilie: :sweatsm:

Very well said. Prosumer IMHO is something you buy to get dismay with.

Status
Not open for further replies.