Pros and cons of Z3 vs Canon IS S1

Status
Not open for further replies.
tchuanye said:
FYI from DP review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/page8.asp

Comparison cameras:

Canon PowerShot S1 IS (3.2 MP, 10x zoom)
Fuji FinePix S5000 Zoom (3.1 MP, 10x zoom)*
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10 (3.2 MP, 8x zoom)
Panasonc DMC-FZ10 (4 MP, 12x zoom)

Conclusion:
"It is slightly difficult to comment on the perfomance of a camera that is, essentially, in a class of its own (3MP, 10x stabilized zoom). The good, though hardly surprising news is that the S1 IS is producing images of considerably higher resolution than its predecessor the Pro 90 IS, though we're not talking about a quantum leap here. In fact, the S1 IS produced slightly dissapointing results - certainly not class-leading - and you don't need to look very hard to see just how much more fine detail the similarly-priced Panasonic FZ10, for example, is capturing (albeit with 30% more pixels). That said, the S1 IS certainly outperforms the only other 10x zoom, 3MP camera here (the Fuji FinePix S5000), and compares well with the KM DiMAGE Z10 (which only has an 8x zoom). But ultimately the relatively low pixel count combined with the compromises involved in producing a compact 10x zoom lens seriously limit the amount of fine detail you can expect to capture.This is going to have a significant impact on how large you can print your pictures if you want them to look nice and crisp."

Not sure why phil compare S1 with a Z10.. Z3 is a much closer competitor actually. May be to make S1 looks good.. :think:

very surprised nobody mentioned the tilt and swivel LCD of the S1 as a major advantage to the other megazooms... to me its a major selling point..

buddy said:
very surprised nobody mentioned the tilt and swivel LCD of the S1 as a major advantage to the other megazooms... to me its a major selling point..

Owned the S1 but sold it off for the FZ10. From experience, FZ10 gives sharper details in comparison with the S1. Presently using Z3, sharp pictures, fast focusing and continuous shooting. This is, in my opinion, the selling point of the Z3. FZ10 was good (solid build and Leica Lens) but slower than the Z3. :(

Zenten said:
Owned the S1 but sold it off for the FZ10. From experience, FZ10 gives sharper details in comparison with the S1. Presently using Z3, sharp pictures, fast focusing and continuous shooting. This is, in my opinion, the selling point of the Z3. FZ10 was good (solid build and Leica Lens) but slower than the Z3. :(
agreed wif zenten...
FZ10 pic quality is veri gd..

been using a canon s1 for a few days.... realise the 640x480 30fps video is not as good as canon boast....zzz.... the quality is somehow pixelated.... wonder why....perhaps indoor? haben got time to test it outdoor for video....hmmm....

kegler said:
been using a canon s1 for a few days.... realise the 640x480 30fps video is not as good as canon boast....zzz.... the quality is somehow pixelated.... wonder why....perhaps indoor? haben got time to test it outdoor for video....hmmm....

Like you said, it could be the low light condition that you were shooting under that caused the somewhat pixelated look. On the whole, I still think the S1 still has the best movie mode amongst the all the cameras in this class. :D

Z3 cost $680 w/o gst. i asked from a few shops...

Zenten said:
Like you said, it could be the low light condition that you were shooting under that caused the somewhat pixelated look. On the whole, I still think the S1 still has the best movie mode amongst the all the cameras in this class. :D

i've heard people mention about the low speed card for 640x480 30fps n having difficulty in recording.... i tested wif an old cf card...speed should be slow .... althought i get a '!' after 10sec....the recording still goes on... after that viewing it on pc or cam, no problem...hmm....i wonder ! is for wat purpose since the recording seems to be ok

the price is attractive!

Just tried Z3 AS over the lunch hour.. at maximum zoom 420mm? I took at few shots at 1/100 sec, they look good in the preview zoom in. That's a 2 stop gain liao..

Zenten said:

That would be noise under low light rather than pixelated.... pixelated look comes about when u over stretch a low res pic....

Zenten said:

That might be due to the aggressive sharpening algo in the camera.... some people dun like it.....

so which is a better buy, z3 or fz10, i am torn between this 2...

I have also looked at both Z3 and FZ10.

Not sure about you, but I have seen a couple of forums with normal pp posting their pictures from both cameras, and I find the FZ10 produces better results. But that is just my opinion. :)

Plan to get the FZ10 maybe next week during the fair. :thumbsup:

Z3 uses AA batteries... FZ10 uses propertiary battery...

tchuanye said:
I have also looked at both Z3 and FZ10.

Not sure about you, but I have seen a couple of forums with normal pp posting their pictures from both cameras, and I find the FZ10 produces better results. But that is just my opinion. :)

Plan to get the FZ10 maybe next week during the fair. :thumbsup:
dun get FZ10 wait for FZ20...
it is slower complared to Z2.... so wait wait....

Status
Not open for further replies.