Project Superstar, Wcon n Slave Flash on FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow its really a sock.. is that a special sock for flash or just and old sock?

haha it's a diffuser. bought at CP for $7 i think.
there's the hard plastic type and there's this sock type.

I just call it a sock. i've a feeling if we get a good pair of non cotton sock, we can use it as a diffuser too.

wait till u see my home made bounce card. and my up and coming project of an 6XAA battery pack for the FZ camera, idea taken from don chua, in midst of doing..

must make u my shi fu already.. im too poor to get a better camera so im trying very hard to make my fz5 function like a dslr.. can the slave flash work in bright sunlight? i need fill flash

unseen said:
from my testing:

FZ 5 fires 1 flash in the day (when the flash is used as fill in flash, and the surrounding is bright). normally outdoors, in the sun, or super bright room.

fires 2 flashes when it's darker. as a very rough guide line, sunlight about 6:30pm or so, or in an average lit room..

so judge yourself see if u need to set your slave to detect 1 flash or 2 flashes.. emoblitz one i can switch between the 2 of them..

ew...... my achiever one cant.
i better go check it out again
thanks bro!!!

reiv said:
must make u my shi fu already.. im too poor to get a better camera so im trying very hard to make my fz5 function like a dslr.. can the slave flash work in bright sunlight? i need fill flash
I'm but a learner like you. I'm still experimenting. Only thing short on FZ5 is manual focus (which 95% of the DSLR users don't use anyway) and hotshoe. yeah slave can shoot in bright sunlight too. definitely. but i dunno how far can it detect.. generally i can move in a hemisphere radius of 1 arm length and still get flash..
:) well don't make the camera be like an dSLR. make it work the way u want can le. dSLR or not, 75% of the reputable branded digital cameras cam produce superb images.

Let's all learn together.

Thanks! Is that the Emoblitz DS328AZ? Available from Funan Centre?

unseen said:
my mounting bracket now:

flash.jpg

Hi "Unseen" just a simple question ... how does that slave fire the flash .. like when it know where to fire and how does it know when we going to press the shutter button?

ok a bit technical.
camera flashes (or any other flashes) triggers the photosensor/diode/resistor.
the slave will follow and flash.
photo is taken.

for digital cameras, most of them fires 2 flashes. 1st flash helps the camera to take auto whitebalance, 2nd flash to take photo. most digital slaves will need to support the 2 flashes. for the FZ5, it's intelligent enough to flash once only if used as a fill flash. thus, your slave will need to support both 2 flashes and 1 flash

Why it works: Flash fires for 1/1000 of a second (if i don't remember wrongly), and usually shutter speed is fixed at 1/60 of a second (you can always use less). if u think about it, the shutter is open for a much longer time than the flash firing. thus, there's enough time to fire another burst of flash.
if there are 2 flashes and set to wait for 2 flashes, then it'll wait for 2 flashes, and fire on the 2nd.
if 1, then it'll burst straight away.

HI "unseen",

Thanks for explaination even thought not fully 100% understand (due to my slow CPU) heheh ... but I think I got the "picture".

hmm basically.. when the internal flash flashes, the external flash will follow.
:) that's all to it.. you're welcomed.

But would there be a case where the shutter speed is so fast, that by the time the slave flash fires, the shutter has closed?

eh...
if your shutter speed is something like 1/400, then i don't think you'll be needing much of flash..
BUT.. at max power, the flash is on for a lil longer.. say 1/1000 of a second.
shutter speed of 1/100 - 1/1000, you still got ALOT of time for the photoresistor/diode to react.

if flash not firing at full blast, the speed is even faster.. heard/read that flash can fire as fast as 1/50000 when minimum power..
by comparison, shutter speed max is usually 1/4000 for the top of the line cameras. as
for high shutter speed it's assumed u haf alot alot alot alot of light, but need a bit of fill flash, so min power will do..

in theory, there shouldn't be such a case.
In practical, if your battery is running low... anything goes..

just dropped by ap today and got the flash.. very difficult to get the desired effect! i turned to S1 and fired it directly at my target.. super bright.. over exposed.. so i pointed the flash up and tried again.. this time underexposed.. what is wrong??

reiv said:
just dropped by ap today and got the flash.. very difficult to get the desired effect! i turned to S1 and fired it directly at my target.. super bright.. over exposed.. so i pointed the flash up and tried again.. this time underexposed.. what is wrong??

Use a bounce card.

donchua said:
Use a bounce card.
hmm it seems to only work when the flash is firing at full power.. but im not sure how to make it fire at full power all the time!

Can share how much you paid for the flash? Huggable thinking of getting one too! You can get the "sock" like unseen to diffuse the flash light.

reiv said:

Thanks for the insight explaination! I'll get 1 to try out myself. Surprising the so called higher end models, like Suntax, does not allow the flash to swivel. For the "false trigger" problem with the slave flash, can I block the sensor so that it would not detect the flash from other cameras?

unseen said:
eh...
if your shutter speed is something like 1/400, then i don't think you'll be needing much of flash..
BUT.. at max power, the flash is on for a lil longer.. say 1/1000 of a second.
shutter speed of 1/100 - 1/1000, you still got ALOT of time for the photoresistor/diode to react.

if flash not firing at full blast, the speed is even faster.. heard/read that flash can fire as fast as 1/50000 when minimum power..
by comparison, shutter speed max is usually 1/4000 for the top of the line cameras. as
for high shutter speed it's assumed u haf alot alot alot alot of light, but need a bit of fill flash, so min power will do..

in theory, there shouldn't be such a case.
In practical, if your battery is running low... anything goes..

huggable said:
Can share how much you paid for the flash? Huggable thinking of getting one too! You can get the "sock" like unseen to diffuse the flash light.
$55.. haha the guy quoted me $65 but i said i heard other ppl got it for $55 so he got no choice.. heh

Huggable went to AP during lunchtime to get the flash. Will try it out tonight. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.