Professional photographer in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
sabby said:
I was checking out some overseas photographers' portfolio and was quite amazed by their works.When i check out some singaporean photographers' it didnt amaze me as much.Am i wrong to say that the standard in singapore is much lower to international standard?

Sab.
4 million Singaporeans vs billions of the rest of thw world ? :think:

Photography is not like football, because the only way to win is to score a goal. Photography is more like Sport category .... there are many different sports and different ways to score a winner..... Maybe sabby should let us know what photography style he is comparing....:dunno:

waileong said:
The question is so lame, the market in S'pore is so small, of course the standard of pro photography here cannot compare with other countries. It's the same for many other fields-- football, golf, tennis, technology, science, etc.-- not just photography.

So any photog who wants to grow has already gone or will likely go overseas.

Thus the question is quite a waste of time.

I wonder though...

How many overly sensitive forumers does a troll attract?

If the main post is not clear enough, look at the "haha" part, look at the "I'm a newbie but I want to know the standard of pro photography". Why would a newbie worry about the standard of pro photography when he can't even tell one f-stop from another?

If that's still not obvious, look for when "sabby" joined and how many posts he has made. And that since the initial troll post, he has not made a single comment.

All the signs are there, yet why do people fall for these things?

Why do people like to make enemies on forums? Or at least, spend time arguing rather than learning?

Wai Leong
===

Your comments are valid.

But I see it differently. I do not see this thread as a troll.

I put myself into the shoes of the TS. I am starting out in photography. But I have something called the internet. I search for photography websites here and elsewhere.

Then I saw something interesting. I saw that, TO MY EYES, the images from the foreign websites appear to be more interesting and inspiring.

Yes It is absolutely true that I might not have seen some of the better websites in Singapore. It is also true that some great and local photographers do not or are not interested in having websites.

But what am I to conclude? I am a newbie and not familair with the way things are done.

So I write in this forum.

But I get slammed as a "frog-in-the-well", when in actual fact i was trying hard to expand my horizons.

If my impression of what I saw is not representative of the quality of photography here and elsewhere, then please, educate me.

Explain to me that local photographers are not interested in maintaining websites. Explain to me that the critical mass in Singapore is small, and therefore hardly able to produce a Ronaldo (which explain why Singapore is not in the World Cup)

There is nothing to be ashamed about what local professional photographers are doing - which is to put bread on the table. The market here is too small for imageries that do not bring in the dough. I can understand that.

But please do not make me into a troll, when what I needed to know is how to explain what I saw.

ok folks,
sorry i was away so i couldnt check back on this thread till now.
Firstly, i apologise for any arguements cause due to this thread.
Secondly, my reason for this thread was trying to know how you guys feel abt the standard of singapore photography and probably be able to show me portfolios of singapore photographers,just trying to learn more and see more photographs and then shoot more as well.

sab.

sabby said:
ok folks,
sorry i was away so i couldnt check back on this thread till now.
Firstly, i apologise for any arguements cause due to this thread.
Secondly, my reason for this thread was trying to know how you guys feel abt the standard of singapore photography and probably be able to show me portfolios of singapore photographers,just trying to learn more and see more photographs and then shoot more as well.

sab.
Haha...
New here? CS has the highest % of quibbles compared to other forums. Just need to get used to it. & I sure ain't no pro photographer & the fotos are not of pro standard, but u're welcome to view my gallery. ;)

Volks said:
student,

I have compiled a list of local Professional Photographers & knew a few of them in person.

In this elite circle, some truth are there that many still don't believe in showcasing works in website, but has very established Clientele base, local & overseas to roll great works over & over again.

Some ads out there may appeared big bang jobs done overseas but wait, they are local productions!

The list's not limited to specific specialities but I have omitted wedding photostudio as I think it belonged to retail category - 1 to 1 trade but not working alongside with advertising & Industry professionals with a diffderent demand.

1. www.shootinggalleryasia.com
2. www.royzhang.com
3. www.derricklim.com
4. www.caesarfoto.com
5. www.weekhim.com
6. www.trizonegp.com
7. www.johnclang.com
8. www.panorama.com.sg
:cheers:

UPZ for Peter and Choo from Caesar! :lovegrin:

full of craps. if u don't know the scene of commerical photography, do not just comment that the standard of singapore photography is no good or not up to the standard. i think most of u are just still going in ur own small circle - round & round & never step out.

Let me ask u, have u heard of Roy Zhang, Yang Tan, Eric Seow, Teo, etc. They are all Singapore Photographers. They have done World Wide Ads. Don't tell me they don't have the standard.

They have their own website, just that they didn't pay to advertise their site, which they don't have to.

I think Yangtan is well known in the New York advertising scene. damn impressed by the timberland and malaysian airlines campaign!

sabby, i think there is no easy way for you to know the commercial photography scene. it's primarily inner circuit and different from the 'retail' photographers often heard by newbies.
the commercial photography scene is a much bigger industry in terms of dollar value.

I think Yangtan is well known in the New York advertising scene. damn impressed by the timberland and malaysian airlines campaign!

sabby, i think there is no easy way for you to know the commercial photography scene. it's primarily inner circuit and different from the 'retail' photographers often heard by newbies.
the commercial photography scene is a much bigger industry in terms of dollar value.

agree. but there are also some people out there doing commercial photography and yet still earning enough to get by...

Status
Not open for further replies.