Product photography

orionct

Jun 24, 2009
Hi all,

If i wanted to do product photography, targeted item are jewelry like different gems/jade pendants, ring, necklace, earing for online selling purpose (not for commercial purpose) ...what kind of equipment and set up do I need ? Can i do it strobist way using multiple speed light setting up at home ?

and if I want a professional service, what is the charges, any one know?

Thanks a lot!

Hi all,

If i wanted to do product photography, targeted item are jewelry like different gems/jade pendants, ring, necklace, earing for online selling purpose (not for commercial purpose) ...what kind of equipment and set up do I need ? Can i do it strobist way using multiple speed light setting up at home ?

Thanks a lot!

well. i dabbled in it a while. first: u want accurate color reproduction. thats one of the important stuff. u want ur image to be as real as possible with minimal faking.

2: details. u need sufficient light for a small aperture.

3: size, how large do u need it to be?

i used tago tech kit before. i'll say its not easy. if its for personal blogshop, dun need too high standards i guess. get a nice arylic for the reflection and a long black canvas cloth or for the infinite sweep effect.

How is online selling purposes not commercial purposes? :think:

Lighting jewelery is all about controlling shadow and highlights. Basic stuff, but when you look at it up close, that's were it all falls to bits (and also why commercial photographers earn thousands of dollars per day doing it).

Look up 'How to photograph jewelery' on Google and youtube. Lots of guides there. :)

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Hi Allen,

Yes, thanks for your comment, the color tone is very important.

Hi Dream Merchant,

What I mean not for commercial meaning not for the advertisement usage, some of the photo they will be more particular for advertisement, brochure, poster so the detail is all very important. and also you need to create the overall feeling for the product, so you might not taking the product alone and might need to create some mid low key photo so the product is outstanding.

but for online selling, i just need plain and simple, as long as it is taken completely with different angle, of course the color tone same. tats all i need.

Hi Allen,

Yes, thanks for your comment, the color tone is very important.

Hi Dream Merchant,

What I mean not for commercial meaning not for the advertisement usage, some of the photo they will be more particular for advertisement, brochure, poster so the detail is all very important. and also you need to create the overall feeling for the product, so you might not taking the product alone and might need to create some mid low key photo so the product is outstanding.

but for online selling, i just need plain and simple, as long as it is taken completely with different angle, of course the color tone same. tats all i need.

product photography isnt anywhere near simple. u have to play on selective focus, bringing out the best of ur product while trying to hide the worst, without making it look like ur hiding stuff. u have to balance what is good abt ur product, along with its bad side, while presenting in a truthful way. if it makes sense to u.

just look at iphone and how they shoot for their product ads. iphone ads are one of the best advertisements ever made seeing their product isnt exactly top end, and its expensive:think:

wonders of advertising.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot!

Depands on the final result that you want. It is not a question of web or printed images though the resoulation may matter, it is all about lighting, do you want your $50/- jewelry to look like, $5/-, $50/- or $100/-

$5/- DIY ( light tent, sunlight, etc )
$50/- some in CS can do it for maybe, $500/- per day?
$100/- get a professional but it may range from $1500/- > per day.

So you have to first decide what it it that you want.

Last edited:
Just to add, jewerly shots are one of the modt demanding in terms of lighting and detailing. For a good shot, $1500/- per day is already on the low side.

"$1500/- per day is already on the low side."

Maybe in over sea ang mo photographer there is!

I am Chinese in Singapore and over sea, I never soot more than $1500/- per day in my job.

I am jewelry photographer.

Maybe the Tao K I meed is a bit Cat! Maooooo!

"$1500/- per day is already on the low side."

Maybe in over sea ang mo photographer there is!

I am Chinese in Singapore and over sea, I never soot more than $1500/- per day in my job.

I am jewelry photographer.

Different quote for different studio but most of my peers ( professional photographers ) shoots at $1500/- > per day. Though I still shoots only selectively on a freelance basis, this is still my rate, even local ang mo are charging higher. Of course you're free to charge as you please as there is no minium rate for photography in SG.

My last job, I shot for a computer company for their inhouse cat/training material, $250/- per shot and I shot 8 shots that day within 8 hours.

Last edited:
I alway told my friend that photography did not let me rich$$. But I enjoy my work, eat good food, nice girl, can travel and made friend around the world.

Thanks God! Thanks Photography!

Hi, i actually posted in another thread. i was wondering too how much should i charge for product shot.. I still thinkin to take up the assignment to help the company to take some construction stuffs like safety helmet, boots, hammers etc and design a catalog for them. They have 4500 products, a 4 months duration, with 3 friends helping me. Total cost would be 30.4k. Is it ok? We are still amateurs though

I engaged a photographer/s for catalogue shoot not too long ago. About 3K small items, 1 month project, they charged about $4.5K. Don't take it to be the market rate. It's willing seller/willing buyer motto. I thought it was fair deal and paid for it.

As long as you can take a photo that is satisfactory to the client, it doesn't matter whether you're a pro or amateurs. :cool:

please learn your photoshop too. shooting is only a simple stage as compared to photo-shopping the photo to make it look pro and nice.

Hi, i actually posted in another thread. i was wondering too how much should i charge for product shot.. I still thinkin to take up the assignment to help the company to take some construction stuffs like safety helmet, boots, hammers etc and design a catalog for them. They have 4500 products, a 4 months duration, with 3 friends helping me. Total cost would be 30.4k. Is it ok? We are still amateurs though

This guy quote is for the design and production of the catalogue at $30.4k and the photography is just a small part. I closed that thread as it was not strictly photo biz but more an design team job. If such thread is allowed ppl here will be coming in here to ask question like design, print and photography package price for menu, brochure etc. I will be deleting off that irrelevant post.