Problem with Olympus 5060 / PT-020

Status
Not open for further replies.

solstiz

Feb 26, 2006
Anyone encountered similiar problems can give some advise or share exp?

juz back from a frustrating trip to the Similan Islands. First time I use 5060 underwater and it give me problems on every dive! :angry:

When underwater, the menu would come on automatically and some settings ie AEL, maunal focus, etc would get selected by itself! Worst of all, some buttons refuse to response as if one of the buttons are stuck in place thus the camera hangs... even the dial does not respond when I switch from "A" to "P"!!!

As the dives goes by, observed following:
1..No buttons on the casing is stuck thus affecting the camera.
2..The camera works perfectly fine when not in the casing... or in it without the cover close.
3..The camera goes crazy esp when at greater depth! (Is the pressure affecting the buttons?)

:sweat: dun think the underwater quakes last week affecting my camera....

I use the same camera but not the PT-020 housing. I met someone else with the same setup as you and have problems with the buttons and also difficulty powering up the camera while in the housing. She returned the camera+housing to the shop to exchange for something else.

Since your cam works fine outside the housing, you need to first check if any buttons or levers are being pressed while inside the housing. If so, your camera may not be sitting far enough into the housing - there may be some rubber inserts on the front (or on actuators) that should be trimmed. You also want to check if some other parts of the camera body is being squeezed by the housing - if so it can have the effect of "shorting" some of the buttons, causing the cam to freeze. In particular check that the zoom +/- lever is properly engaged and not being accidentally pressed to either ends (if this happens, no other buttons will respond).

If either case above is true, you may want to return the PT-020 housing to Olympus for replacement or switch to Ikelite housing instead.

Anyone can advise where can I get a red filter for the PT-20?

Don't need the red filter unless you are using video capture mode. I guess you can use a normal red filter and find a suitable size rubber band such as bicycle inner tube to hold it in place. Alternatively, use a thin red gelatin mounted inside the lens housing.

fastshot said:
Don't need the red filter unless you are using video capture mode. I guess you can use a normal red filter and find a suitable size rubber band such as bicycle inner tube to hold it in place. Alternatively, use a thin red gelatin mounted inside the lens housing.

Thanks.

I am using 5060/PT020 too and have not encounter this type of problem. But I did notice the shuttle button level of the housing sometime get stuck after pressing at depth (maybe >10m). Since the camera works fine without housing and only have problem when housing closed or enter water, my guess will be as fastshot mentioned, button/s was depressed.

Maybe you can try without the camera in the housing and make sure all buttons/dials/levers are pressable/turnable/switchable.... Then try it with camera and see if all these work.

Also the manual recommend without using filter for the camera, but I have use the UV filter that come with the camera without any problem. Maybe you use more than 1 filter and the lens was not able to fully extend?

Another problem I heard was user frequently forget to lift out the 'mode select dial' (of the housing) before opening the housing thus causing the mode dial or housing dial to bend.

thanks for the tips! have actually check by putting the camera into the housing without the back cover close and operated the cam w/o any problems... also confirm that none of the lever is stuck when underwater... will take a closer look to make sure the zoom lever and mode dail is in correct placing...

got my macro and wide angle lens from 10bar... they have red filters to fit Oly housing too...

I am using the same setup .. do not encounter the problem u mentioned

Sounds like either your camera is not "seated" properly in the casing,

or

There is something wrong with the casing ... manufactured slightly too small such that it is pressing against the buttons when closed

Make sure the cam is not off-set when u stuff the silica gel packs in ...

Status
Not open for further replies.