Privacy issues on Street Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gwenhwyfar

Hi there, does anyone know anything about privacy issues with regards to street photography in SINGAPORE? If i take a picture of someone/some people and submit my photos for a competition, am I infringing any privacy law?

Hi there, does anyone know anything about privacy issues with regards to street photography in SINGAPORE? If i take a picture of someone/some people and submit my photos for a competition, am I infringing any privacy law?

U might be ask for some form of model release depending on the organising committee R&R.

There are no privacy laws in Singapore.

It could also help to read the sticky called "IPOS Links on Copyright - Essential for Photographers to understand their rights " found in the General section.

Well actually privacy laws and/or model releases are quite different concepts of law from that of copyright.

Well actually privacy laws and/or model releases are quite different concepts of law from that of copyright.

Ah, you do have a good point.

I remember there was this huge hoo-ha about these pictures of a guy and girl walking in their underwear in the HDB flat. The outrage was not that a photog did a peeping tom trick and took their pictures from a different flat using a telephoto lens, but rather that the couple dared to "expose" themselves like that in their own home...

Ah wlel that hoo haa is actually neither privacy nor copyright nor model releases :p

It involved a criminal act of exposing oneself to public view I believe. Not sure if they were charged :p

Ah, you do have a good point.

I remember there was this huge hoo-ha about these pictures of a guy and girl walking in their underwear in the HDB flat. The outrage was not that a photog did a peeping tom trick and took their pictures from a different flat using a telephoto lens, but rather that the couple dared to "expose" themselves like that in their own home...

Hi all, thanks. Appreciate the info. I remember reading about asking the photo subject to sign a release form, but what if there are many many subjects in the photo? can't possibly ask all of them to sign right? I think in australia unless it is for commercial purposes, you do not have to ask the subjects to sign a release form, but not sure about Singapore. Anyone knows?

Hi all, thanks. Appreciate the info. I remember reading about asking the photo subject to sign a release form, but what if there are many many subjects in the photo? can't possibly ask all of them to sign right? I think in australia unless it is for commercial purposes, you do not have to ask the subjects to sign a release form, but not sure about Singapore. Anyone knows?

not in Singapore.

these 2 links will help, it apply in Singapore :

http://www.ipos.gov.sg/leftNav/cop/About+Copyright.htm

http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/News/Story/A1Story20090615-148535.html

some people said these are very grey, but in law , it is either black or white.

Last edited:
Withdraw or remove what? You don't have to delete your photos or stop shooting if that is what you are asking.

i heard if they dun like it
you have to withdraw or remove
other than that no issues

how about those shops in malls? there are many shops that display "no photography" signs. if i am outside the shop (at the aisle), and I take pictures of the merchandise, is there a case against me? does the shop own the aisle in front of the shop?

The shop cannot stop you if you are outside his shop.

If you are outside his shop and on a public road (ie shophouse type of shop); he 100% cannnot stop you.

If you are outside his shop and on an aisle (ie its a shopping centre); the shop owner can then ask the building owner to evict you, since the aisle belongs to the building owner and not liklely to fall under the shop's lease (which is why most shop leases don't allow you to put things outside the shop; although most landlord close one eye).

Whatever the case, the most they can do is to kick you out; they cannot ask you to delete or surrender your cam.

how about those shops in malls? there are many shops that display "no photography" signs. if i am outside the shop (at the aisle), and I take pictures of the merchandise, is there a case against me? does the shop own the aisle in front of the shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.