Printing from slides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryer

Dec 17, 2002
Tampines
Visit site
hi guys,

How would you guys print your final image from your slides..Im currently thinking of a few options..I have about 30 +/- unmounted slides to print.

1) Direct print from slides. $1 per 4R, works out to $30 for 30 4Rs. :sweat:
Pros: Convenient. Said to suffer the least quality loss which results from scanning.

Cons: Not in position to do PS adjustment. What else? Expensive!

2) Scan, Adjust in PS, print. Not too sure about price, but have gotten a service in Bedok that does scanning at $8 per roll. However, the results wasnt good. Blownout whites (no such problem when viewing from lightbox), colour casts. Furthermore, the slides i need to print comes from different rolls (abt 7 rolls), so i would not do per roll scanning. That would kill me cost wise. Looking out for affordable per frame scanning..

Pros: Cheaper? :dunno: Able to do PS corrections.

Cons: No quality assurance?

Help!!!

Comments pls? :sweatsm:

sell your camera and existing films. GO DIGITAL! :D

*just kidding*

It seems cost is a major factor for you. In any case, I print from slides (EBX, velvia, sensia) and scan them myself, as well as tweaking in PS to ensure I get what I want. Negatives are not a problem too. I used to have labs print my slides but I wasn't happy because....well, "you dont always get what you want" as the song goes and I was pissed at my money being thrown into the gutter. Some (or most) labs do drum scans which some people say are real good, but the thing is they burn it to CD for you at such low resolutions (probably less than 6 megapix) and in JPG format (not even TIF)!!! Why these are bad things? Well firstly, you can't print as big as you would like for the ocassional "must-do enlargement" photo and by saving in JPG there is already inherent quality loss unlike TIFF which is lossless. Also, I've experienced dust and other particles in my scanned files which is unacceptable! What I did was to buy a good film-dedicated scanner. Most have dust and scratch-removing technologies like ICE or FARE. The initial cost will set you back about $1300 for a good film scanner like nikon's new coolscan v ed (probably more than 20 megapix - HA! Try to do that with a consumer DSLR today!) and a couple hundred more for a good inkjet printer. It's steep, but the cost savings in comparison to setting up your own chemical darkroom (enlarger, etc) or wastage at a lab that overexposes your scans will prevent further frustration. In addition you can archive all your old slides and negs and burn off to CDs or DVDs, and even do things like restore colours, remove grain, dodge and burn, under/over-expose, increase contrast, reprint in sizes up to 16X20 etc without having some moron at a lab screwing it all up.
Probably not an answer to your question but hope it helps

popeye...you wanna donate some $$? hahaha..

Thanks newton! appreciate your advice. Would love to own a scanner myself,but haven really got the $$ for it.. :cry:

Well, ive zoomed in to use KT at Hong lim..and did some calculations.

1) Direct print.
They quoted me 60c per print. However, i suspect they are doing digital print? :sweat:

total cost of 30 slides: $18

2) Scan first, adjust, print later.
They quoted me $1 per frame scanning. This adds up to $30 for scanning ALONE. Adding that to 30c 4R printing,which costs $9, total cost is $39.

Option 2) is double that of Option 1).
So does the quality of 2 justify the price?

Comments?

Sorry peepz, i know im a pain in the arse. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.