prime WA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm, yes, even without filters. Esp the really fast ones.

EiRiK said:
will vignetting occur on prime WA lenses?

Use the accompanying hoods. They help to reduce the vignetting.

coke21 said:

I think the hood is there to prevent flare?

Some times the hood is designed with a flower shape which helps to prevent the hood itself from causing vignetting. That does not help if too many filters are stacked on the lens.

coke21 said:

if the lens vignette wide open, it will vignette with or without an accompanying lens hood, whether or not the lens hood is an original or oem one.

btw i think "light falloff" might be a more correct term for the phenomenon described above.

i stand by red dawn.
must not confuse the 2 terms.

light falloff vs vignetting

falloff occurs when lenses are used wide open... maximum apperture... and this is solved by stopping down the lens a bit... one or 2 stops... fall off is characterised by dark (but not back) at the edges of the frame.

vignetting occurs when a foreign object (filter mount or wrong hood) blocks the corners of the frame causing a black edge on the picture...the correct hood will never cause vigneting unless its mounted wrongly.

so what are we discussing here?

roygoh said:
I think the hood is there to prevent flare?

Some times the hood is designed with a flower shape which helps to prevent the hood itself from causing vignetting. That does not help if too many filters are stacked on the lens.

Sorry. My mistake. You are right in saying that the flower shaped hoods are shaped that way yo prevent vignetting and not to prevent vignettign per se.

I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.