Prime Lenses for Cambodia/Angkor Wat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree if u have 2 bodies, it is good to carry one with a wide lens and and other with a long lens (I usually prefer zooms). But then again the weight is a big consideration. I do carry 2 bodies on trips. Serve as redundancy too. V flexible for most situations.

I also agree if u can afford (both $$ and muscle) to carry large aperture lens (of course for zooms it would be the f2.8). The large aperture eg f2.8 would be useful in low light or to keep the focal plane very tight around the subject (ie blur the background).

I believe I got the muscle to carry the big guns ;p but don't have the money to buy any one of the trinities without selling off my current lenses :dunno:

And primes are much smaller and lighter to carry around and has bigger aperture too :bsmilie: but a lot of footwork which I doubt ANgkor Wat has room for...

I believe I got the muscle to carry the big guns ;p but don't have the money to buy any one of the trinities without selling off my current lenses :dunno:

And primes are much smaller and lighter to carry around and has bigger aperture too :bsmilie: but a lot of footwork which I doubt ANgkor Wat has room for...

me too. two mid weight lens + a small lens is all i can take on me - my limit for carrying them around.

Gt time to deploy tripod? If yes, 18-55 and 55-200 stopped down to f/8 or more will be sufficient. Great light-weight solutions.

Since you're going to be shooting more architecture and landscapes, you can give this a thought. (i still advocate primes though :bsmilie: :thumbsup:)

Gt time to deploy tripod? If yes, 18-55 and 55-200 stopped down to f/8 or more will be sufficient. Great light-weight solutions.

Since you're going to be shooting more architecture and landscapes, you can give this a thought. (i still advocate primes though :bsmilie: :thumbsup:)

May have time but don't know if got room to set up tripod :dunno:

I guess I will make do with the 18-200 for now. Its performance should be comparable to the 18-55 + 55-200 combination. There is also the 50/1.4 for the portraits. Primes are fun but I find it hard to use indoor. Will save up for either the 14-24 or the 24-70. The focal range seems to be quite nice, even on DX.

I think the combination of 17-35 + 50/1.4 + 85/1.8 should be sufficient for Cambodia / Angkor Wat. What will be the good FL for taking sunrise/sunset shots? Is GND and/or ND filters important?

From a landscape photographer pov... gnd and nd is an indispenable tool :) but... wiht the advent of the digital age... you can make do without it if you are into heavily post-processing the image. shooting multiple exposures and subsequently blending can yield better results than using a gnd. but of course, take up much more time as well.

yup that 3-lens combination would be pretty good to carry around. i bring around a similar combination when i go walk about... 17-40, 50 and 135.

Status
Not open for further replies.