pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumma

Jan 5, 2005
Oulu, Finland, Finland
www.wongliji.com
hello to all professional photographers,

i'm trying to find out the fees for rights usage. ur help is definitely appreciated.
been trying to find online but couldn't get a better understanding of the market rate.

what are the fees like for say 1 year non-exclusive rights, image to be used only in singapore?

i would like to know what kind of rights are available as options for clients to choose as well.

thanks in advance and i appreciate no OT!

cheers!

Dear Drumma,

Not sure if you have done this but try looking at what stock photos agencies are charging. I tend to adopt gettyimages.com as a guide - either by pricing down or modifying the range. I chose gettyimages because I was once their client when i was still working doing corporate stuff.

Other agencies such as digitalvision.com corbis.com may also be helpful. they tend to have all the agreements, pricing options, rights definitions listed on their websites.

hope this help,

daniel

hello to all professional photographers,

i'm trying to find out the fees for rights usage. ur help is definitely appreciated.
been trying to find online but couldn't get a better understanding of the market rate.

what are the fees like for say 1 year non-exclusive rights, image to be used only in singapore?

i would like to know what kind of rights are available as options for clients to choose as well.

thanks in advance and i appreciate no OT!

cheers!

Hi Drumma,

Can't really advise you about local market as I only dealt with not more than 5 clients who bought images under royalty free rights. They paid about $500 per image (about 30 mb in size) and the condition I gave them is as long as I did not withdraw the images under royalty free condition, they would be able to use it. Once it is withdrawn, a termination intent document would be issue to them to tell them to stop using the images.

If you are looking at rights managed images, I tend to think that the prices would be higher as such images are normally restricted to the number of purchases. I would say 3 to 5 times more than royalty free images (i would be wrong).

heh daniel,

what bout singapore? like a price range? any ballpark figure?

heh daniel,

what bout singapore? like a price range? any ballpark figure?

I don't think that there is any "standard" price because there are so many factors to consider in deciding on the worth of your images. The closest you can get is like what the other posters have mentioned, benchmark against Getty Images or a similar stock photography dealer.

Getting back to my point about the many factors involved, you need to first consider the client's intended usage for the photo (implicitly how much you think they are going to be willing to pay for your photo before deciding it's cheaper to get from somewhere else), eg if for print, then how big is the print run, any restrictions on where the picture is used? Will it be used on t-shirts, mugs, other merchandise? Then your own valuation of the photo counts. Was it a one-of-a-kind type of image, or something that another photographer could easily have taken?

Finally, ask yourself how much do you want for the image? Is it that important to you that it must be protected? If you're dying for the client to use it, then you quote lower. If they need you more than you need them then quote higher. I don't see how anyone can give you a standard rate offhand just like that. It's quite subjective.

I once sold a photo for one-time use through a graphic design agency to a client for $250. That was an underwater image of a clown fish on an anemone, and it was for a one-time print run of some posters of about 5,000 pieces if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.