Price of 40D is quite low - a pricing strategy to counter Nikon new products

Status
Not open for further replies.

USM

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
Once again, Nikon came out with fantastic new products that would make Canon shy off.

Canon knows that with the introduction of Nikon D300, its features and functions would blow the 40D away. Therefore, they have to price the 40D low in order to compete.

Remember when Nikon launced the D200 first at around $2,900, Canon followed later with the launch of 30D by pricing it at around $2,299. Canon knows that they can't compete with Nikon on features, etc, so only in terms of pricing. With such low priced 30d, Nikon felt the pressure on its D200 sales, and subsequently reduced the price of D200 in order to stay competitive.

Also, given the fact that 40D has already launched in the markets, so it is better to capture before more shares/sales before D300 flood the markets.

Brand new 40D body goes for <S$1,800. :bigeyes: This is OMG! I wonder how much will be the Nikon D300?

40D comfirm less then $1.8k? :think:

Based on the canon HK site...its going for abt HK$8980, which is abt S$1750
Great stuff ;)

Canon Singapore Prices is always higher than Hong Kong. Isn't it? Hopefully that will change.

Sigh. I know somebody who went to HK over the weekend. I just missed the golden opportunity to get a 40D at sub-$1.8k price. :cry:

:Later,

Wow! if the price really is <S$1.8K for body alone, it's going to be about the same price point as the 350D when it was launched!
That'll be excellent! Now for the 5D replacement pricing....

Wow! if the price really is <S$1.8K for body alone, it's going to be about the same price point as the 350D when it was launched!
That'll be excellent! Now for the 5D replacement pricing....

Nice one ...

I think this upcoming Comex Show 2007, we will get to see the price from this 2 great company... :cool:

I just missed the golden opportunity to get a 40D at sub-$1.8k price. :cry:

It could have been S$1,680 only in HK.

How I wish I could ask someone from HK to buy for me, but none of them I know of knows about checking the cameras...

*#$@..........my fren coming back from HK . He is there to shop for 5D, he last saw the 40D at about sin $1.7k. Just called me, he is still hunting around b4 leaving for airport. Arh....should ask him to buy for me.................

*#$@..........my fren coming back from HK . He is there to shop for 5D, he last saw the 40D at about sin $1.7k. Just called me, he is still hunting around b4 leaving for airport. Arh....should ask him to buy for me.................

The trick is to buy it back without incurring GST.... which means I cant get my fren to ship it to SIngapore.

I am making a trip to shanghai in a few weeks time, maybe can check out the prices there. Or maybe stop by HK on the way back to S'pore. :)

Hi hi

From Hong Kong, the street price of 40D body was HK$8800 / US$1125 / S$1719
with freebies of 2G CF Lexar & Tripod & LowproBag

not sure what the 40D kit prices are....

the kit 18-85 IS are being resold by new 40D owners for about S$600 a copy.....

pre-owned 4 - 8 mths old Canon 30D with battery grip is asking for about S$1k.

Hi hi
pre-owned 4 - 8 mths old Canon 30D with battery grip is asking for about S$1.

You sure about this??
Whereabout in HK is this marvellous sale taking place?

anione planning a year end HK photo trip. ;p

Kudos to Canon for bringing the prices of cameras down so that more people could afford them. They brought DLSRs to the masses when they introduced 300D, and even in film days, when they introduced low-end SLRs like EOS 300. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.