Price of 20d dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.
topster said:
urging ppls to hold on to their 20ds is not sharing info, its influencing ppl towards your point of view. There are more ppl in the world without 20Ds than with, so its good news for most of us.

And posting the way you do is considered spam in most forums.

To influence people to sell is same isn't it? I just thought treating equipment like stock is unhealthy. Nothing personal.

topster said:
urging ppls to hold on to their 20ds is not sharing info, its influencing ppl towards your point of view. There are more ppl in the world without 20Ds than with, so its good news for most of us.

2nd post;)
Not influencing but sharing my thoughts of equipment only.

Max 2.8 said:
which website says it dropped? can't find... New one still selling at $2700+ at AP, CP. $2000+ is reasonable, since 10D is still going at $1000+. Dun start rumour lah.
Direct Quote from Tin Cheung reported by my colleague also confirm the price... tin cheung is selling 20D Grey for around 8.2k HKD

and my friend got a 5D grey for 21k HKD

Get ur friends to get for u in HK if they are passing by. definately more worth it than getting in here in SG... even so compare to BuyNSell... :p

Hi Max, we do understand your concern, but you should also realise that there is a sudden increase of sale of 20d in the B&S towards the end ot last year.

Why these people are selling fast? You may ask. The obvious reason is that they know that if they don't sell at good price now, they will never fetch a good price once the new model hits the market. I seriously doubt that they are going for 5D, i.e. upgrading. Of course, there could be some cases.

That's the life of digital arena that we are living in. We can keep on telling people that there is no need to get newer model and so on. But how many people can resist the temptation of newer models? Even PROs will buy new models to suit their needs / styles, etc, let alone hobbyists and
amateurs. If there is no one buying new models, how would camera manufacturers survive and to continue investing in R & D?

It's a totally different world between film SLR and DSLR. Sometimes, using stock market as an analogy to describe the digital market is quite interesting. Of course, it is not as dynamic and volatile as the stock market.

It's a 2 sides of the story. The sellers may be incurring losses by selling but on the other hand, the buyers are happy because they can now afford a 20d body now. Therefore, it's depending on which side of the fence that you are standing.

You also brought up a valid point. Where on earth that Singapore is selling 20d for <$2,000. Look at CP, AP and so on. By now, all of you should realise that it will never happen here back home unless mircale happens. You can study history - such as D30, D60 and 10D, 1D and 1Ds. You should know how camera manufacturers worked in Singapore. I shall not go into details. Simply put in a simple sentence - prices drop in Singapore is not a phenomenon.

If this thread has caused any hard feeling towards the sellers of 20d, I apologise for it.

topster said:

max's comment is not considered spam in this forum. any comments made by anyone, part of the reason is to influence, nothing wrong with that.

I can only speak for myself, and maybe you feel I am trying to influence others, so be it, I am not upgrading my 20D at this point. I won't do it for the next gen 20D nor the 5D, because the improvements are just not sufficient generation over generation to justify the cost.

For the next generation 20D, we probably get increase resolution and some other incremental imporvements. The increase resolution is of minimum benefits to most photographers. The other incremental improvements, many is of no use to me, so I am paying for many things I don't need. Even now, there are more features in my 20D that I don't use than those I use.

I will upgrade when the digital sensor can handle a wider exposure range, increase color depth, when it can get meaningfully close to what film can do right now. I don't believe the next gen 20D will do it. We are still in a megapixel race.

well said deadpoet. i still think the mfgs should concentrate on improving exp latitude and dynamic range.

USM said:
Hi Max, we do understand your concern, but you should also realise that there is a sudden increase of sale of 20d in the B&S towards the end ot last year.

Why these people are selling fast? You may ask. The obvious reason is that they know that if they don't sell at good price now, they will never fetch a good price once the new model hits the market. I seriously doubt that they are going for 5D, i.e. upgrading. Of course, there could be some cases.

That's the life of digital arena that we are living in. We can keep on telling people that there is no need to get newer model and so on. But how many people can resist the temptation of newer models? Even PROs will buy new models to suit their needs / styles, etc, let alone hobbyists and
amateurs. If there is no one buying new models, how would camera manufacturers survive and to continue investing in R & D?

It's a totally different world between film SLR and DSLR. Sometimes, using stock market as an analogy to describe the digital market is quite interesting. Of course, it is not as dynamic and volatile as the stock market.

It's a 2 sides of the story. The sellers may be incurring losses by selling but on the other hand, the buyers are happy because they can now afford a 20d body now. Therefore, it's depending on which side of the fence that you are standing.

You also brought up a valid point. Where on earth that Singapore is selling 20d for <$2,000. Look at CP, AP and so on. By now, all of you should realise that it will never happen here back home unless mircale happens. You can study history - such as D30, D60 and 10D, 1D and 1Ds. You should know how camera manufacturers worked in Singapore. I shall not go into details. Simply put in a simple sentence - prices drop in Singapore is not a phenomenon.

If this thread has caused any hard feeling towards the sellers of 20d, I apologise for it.

No prob USM. Just dun want fellow CSer to jump into the panick wagon. I'll stand by what I said. To sell or not is still 20D users' choice.

2nd hand digital cams will never fetch good price, the price of the camera is in the user's heart.:think:

Deadpoet said:
max's comment is not considered spam in this forum. any comments made by anyone, part of the reason is to influence, nothing wrong with that.

I can only speak for myself, and maybe you feel I am trying to influence others, so be it, I am not upgrading my 20D at this point. I won't do it for the next gen 20D nor the 5D, because the improvements are just not sufficient generation over generation to justify the cost.

For the next generation 20D, we probably get increase resolution and some other incremental imporvements. The increase resolution is of minimum benefits to most photographers. The other incremental improvements, many is of no use to me, so I am paying for many things I don't need. Even now, there are more features in my 20D that I don't use than those I use.

I will upgrade when the digital sensor can handle a wider exposure range, increase color depth, when it can get meaningfully close to what film can do right now. I don't believe the next gen 20D will do it. We are still in a megapixel race.

DP, try the 5D. You'll love it;)

RossChang said:
Direct Quote from Tin Cheung reported by my colleague also confirm the price... tin cheung is selling 20D Grey for around 8.2k HKD

and my friend got a 5D grey for 21k HKD

Get ur friends to get for u in HK if they are passing by. definately more worth it than getting in here in SG... even so compare to BuyNSell... :p

Ross,

I not buying lah...I sold my 2 20Ds last year liao. he he....

RossChang said:
Hmm... I wonder how IR on a 5D looks like?... eh...:think:

ha ha....dun bother lah....newer sensors have tougher IR block filters....I think will need a few minutes exposure.

Max 2.8 said:
DP, try the 5D. You'll love it;)
Tried. Love it, but just not enough to let go my 20D just yet. I will probably be first in line when the next generation 5D comes out.

Deadpoet said:

Its not the content that i suggested might be considered spam. He suggested it was fine to post a word in 10 different posts in rapid sucession. Read carefully before defending someone blindly.

Any news of a price drop is good news to consumers especially when it concerns an excellent product like the 20d

sel sel sel :bsmilie:

why on earth is Max is concerned about the price drop of the 20D, this is only the normal flow of economies, that when a better and new product comes out on the market, it will help to push the current models pricing down

it will enable all avivd photographers to get their hands on one of the most promising cameras in Canon history.

Terryw83, I am not concern about the price drop of 20d. I am concern about the unhealthy cycle of dslr users...but I doubt you understand.

topster said:
Its not the content that i suggested might be considered spam. He suggested it was fine to post a word in 10 different posts in rapid sucession. Read carefully before defending someone blindly.

Any news of a price drop is good news to consumers especially when it concerns an excellent product like the 20d

Topster, welcome to CS. This is a rather unique forum. Lots of members post +1 post again and again, and it's considered acceptable. By the way, there is a limit of how fast you can post. I believe is 1 minute of something like that. Not very rapid in my book.

So, before you hit back, understand where you are first before making a fool of yourself.

Of course, news of price drop is good news to those in the market. Max and my comments regarding price drop is, even though prices is lowered, it does not means upgrading is a must.

Oh, one more thing. I don't defend blindly. I just comment on dumb posts.

Just for information, my friend just bought 20D body only in Jakarta with 1 year official warranty around S$1985, he said probably can go lower if he wants to shop around.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.