Price falling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadwe

Sep 18, 2003
East
I have a questions for those who have been in photography for quite some time. Do you notice whether the prices for cameras (SLR and DSLR) and lens fall as time passes (like computers) either due to technology advances or otherwise?

leadwe said:
I have a questions for those who have been in photography for quite some time. Do you notice whether the prices for cameras (SLR and DSLR) and lens fall as time passes (like computers) either due to technology advances or otherwise?

Think they do tend to fall in price although the drop in price is not that drastic.
But perhaps with the coming trend of new product launches ever so often...you'll never know.

Companies might also change their pricing policies to capture bigger market share? Lets wait and see...:D

leadwe said:
IMO, almost all camera bodies (be it SLR or DSLR) depreciate in value over time. New models are always being constantly churned out by the major players (esp true for digital format), and hence prices are falling as fast as a rock falling thru air. :D Yes, technological advances do have a major role to play too, possibly also the breakthroughs in manufacturing processes now also allow camera bodies to be produced at lower costs than say, 5-10 years ago.

For lenses the prices might drop slightly over the years, but recent trend seems like the prices of lenses fluctuate up and down...anyone know why? Maybe due to fluctuations in market demand, shortfall in stocks etc. But compared to camera bodies, lenses hold their value well over time (esp the original manufacturers' lenses). Just look at Canon's L series, for e.g....a used lens such as 70-200 f2.8 L can still command a premium price even though its several years old. Not so for 3rd party manufacturers' lenses....with the exception of perhaps a handful, most 2nd hand 3rd party lenses are traded for quite a bit less than what they originally cost. But doesn't mean that they're quality is worse than original lenses...there are lots of pretty hi-quality 3rd party glass out there that can match original lenses IMO.

Just my 2 cents...

ST1100 said:
Have you tried getting an old and cheap Leica?

Sorry your point being? I'm not familiar with the prices of Leica lens old or new..... u lost me there......

some lenses do appreciate in value.

Leica usually keep their value well. some rare/special edition models sell for many many times their original price.

mpenza said:
some lenses do appreciate in value.

Leica usually keep their value well. some rare/special edition models sell for many many times their original price.

In that case, these are more of the category of collectors' items rather than being bought to be used...

Status
Not open for further replies.