Press...media causing crisis to worsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

djarth

Dec 8, 2004
Hi all,

Do you wonder if the media has a role in making economy worse?

Look at the daily papers with screaming headlines that this co, retrenched this amount, that company lost this amount....doesn't it make people fear more and in turn stop spending....which in turn worsens the crisis?

As a owner of a small company, everyday i've thoughts if i should retrench ppl since so many companies are doing it, to be able to survive, since the economy is painted in such a horrid state...

Yes...the economy is in bad shape...does the media have to proclaim it every single day!

What do you think

Justin

Yes I totally agree that the media makes it worse.
Especially when they keep making such predictions like "the economy will continue to decline until the end of the year" etc. That just causes people to panic and sell shares etc, and stop spending, thus adding to the problem!

Why don't they put a spin on it, and mention what people can do to turn the economy around?
There's some people that want the economy to dip. When it's at an all-time low, they will pour in tons of money into shares and make huge profits once it goes back up.

Last edited:
Just look at today's straits times...

Instead of the Chingay photos, they decided to tell you 16000 were retrenched...
C'mon as if we need more bad news in our face

Just look at today's straits times...

Instead of the Chingay photos, they decided to tell you 16000 were retrenched...
C'mon as if we need more bad news in our face

Bad news travels faster than good news, and it sells better too.
I hate marketing and advertising, they are very manipulative for their own sake.

guys, why u all still dun understand wat gahmen is doing?? why????
next yr there is a big event rite??????

so to them look good next yr, wat must they do now? they must paint a hell shitty image now, so that next yr watever package or money payout looks like a right move..

just like the recent package, it looks good becos the media has made our economy looked like shiit.

its just toying with the ppl's impression, u guys get it already???

unfortunately bad new sells better than good news...is the same concept throughout the world...and one more thing the media in sg is some what under control from the garment as well...

Last edited:
It makes the government look good when the media keeps throwing bad news in our face, then the govt comes to the rescue and saves us all with handouts and rebates.
Personally I think all the handouts and rebates are a joke, so far hardly anyone has been affected by the financial crisis, so why should everyone get handouts and rebates right now?

i give u guys another scenario:

scenario A
If u are full and just drank 10 litres of water, now i offer u a cup of water, how do u feel?

u will just ignore the cup of water rite?

scenario B
now i tell u that the world is dying, everyone is laid off and everyone is jobless, and end up u also kena retrenched, so u are lonely in ur house starving and super thirsty. Now i offer u a cup of water, how do u feel?

u will feel like the cup of water is bursting like the nigara falls. u feel that the small cup of water is in fact a LARGE waterfall amount of water.

and now next yr there is an "important event"
if u wan ppl to remember wat u did, of course scenario B will make ppl think u are the god, u are the best rite???? although scenario A and B payouts are the same, but by changing the landscape, the value of the payout changes!

Personally I think all the handouts and rebates are a joke, so far hardly anyone has been affected by the financial crisis, so why should everyone get handouts and rebates right now?

the fact is ppl are affected by the nonsense published by the media everyday, and end up every company also worried. when company worried = hold back hiring, retrench = ppl no jobs = ppl no money = ppl doesnt spend = company cannot improve revenue and profits = retrench furhter and freeze hiring further = all die.

ppl may say credit crisis is a FACT, and it is hitting the big companies. wat limbei say is the effect is not as pervasive as the media hoo-haa perceive. the media is worsening it to hell.

Its not just the local media, turn and the BBC and you'll really be depressed...

Don't they understand that they have other social responsibilities as well, not just reporting facts...

I wake up this morning....look at the headlines....instead of being thrilled by the Chingay display....well...you know....16000 jobs are lost...

I think to myself, maybe i should just cut someone's pay cos everyone is doing it

the fact is ppl are affected by the nonsense published by the media everyday, and end up every company also worried. when company worried = hold back hiring, retrench = ppl no jobs = ppl no money = ppl doesnt spend = company cannot improve revenue and profits = retrench furhter and freeze hiring further = all die.

ppl may say credit crisis is a FACT, and it is hitting the big companies. wat limbei say is the effect is not as pervasive as the media hoo-haa perceive. the media is worsening it to hell.

True, but that's mostly affecting people who got retrenched, and unemployed people who are looking for work, and those looking to join the work force for the first time (uni/poly grads). That is only a small percentage. Those are the people that should be getting handouts and rebates, instead of all the employed people who are still drawing income (like myself).

Rebates and handouts should be given to those that need it and apply for it. It shouldn't be automatically handed out to anyone and everyone.

however, if i m an employer and is making healthy profits at the moment, i would be thrilled with this so called crisis.

why is that so? this is the best time to rid the company of those that doesnt contribute, and nobody will speak up against it.

and there u see so many banks and company retrenching rite? Now is the best time to trim away the excess fats of the company :thumbsup: Fake "crisis" is good!

Yeah! Is like they are really obsess and addicted. Continue to play on people sense of insecurity and fear. Some news presenter can even annouce it with a smile.

Good time and opportunity for company to continue using fear marketing.

Bad news travels faster than good news, and it sells better too.
I hate marketing and advertising, they are very manipulative for their own sake.

how about when the papers were harping about how good the economy was last year?I thought that was worse than saying the economy is bad.At least we know the economy is bad. and don't you think that the people who actually affect the stock markets do abit more research than reading ST?

how about when the papers were harping about how good the economy was last year?I thought that was worse than saying the economy is bad.At least we know the economy is bad. and don't you think that the people who actually affect the stock markets do abit more research than reading ST?

Agreed!! I think painting a rosy pic when it is not the actual case is worse.

I guess the recession hasn't hit everyone. If you are in manufacturing or semi-cond, it is very real.

My brother's company has asked employees to take no-pay leave, spread out over the next few months. My company has encouraged us to take leave; it's not mandatory yet. Companies are cutting costs to save jobs. My impression is that if you're laid off, it won't be easy to find a similar job.

I don't blame the media. In fact, I think it has tried its best to avoid giving bad news. The online websites are full of bad news everyday. No choice -- it's bad news all over the world. With banks still hiding their real exposure, it's not going to get better any time soon.

ostrich_head_in_ground_full.jpg

Sticking your head in the sand is not going to help matters.

the-x-files.485999.jpg

The truth is out there!

i tot cannot anyhow spread bad news wan? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.