preferred setting for taking drangonfly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohok1973

Jan 20, 2010
Any expert to enlighten what will be the preferred settings for Shutter speed for taking photos of dragonfly?

Yesterday i was at the bukit batok natural reserve, saw a bird, an eagle to me, came down the water and caught a fish! But i did not set my shutter speed correctly so my photo was total blur, so angry with myself.

Ok what will be the shutter speed preferred too for taking flyby birds?

TIA

so you are shooting a bird or dragon fly?

depends on what you want to achieve, freeze motion?
then depends on how fast the bird/dragonfly is flying

there are no magic settings that suit every shot of a flying bird/dragonfly
but basically a fast shutter speed is used to freeze motion

so you are shooting a bird or dragon fly?

depends on what you want to achieve, freeze motion?
then depends on how fast the bird/dragonfly is flying

there are no magic settings that suit every shot of a flying bird/dragonfly
but basically a fast shutter speed is used to freeze motion

yes I want to freeze motion, yes usually i set it to 1/60 shutter speed, but not fast enough for the flying bird i saw, hmmm i should next time set it to a faster shutter speed but than again i might need to have higher ISO, than noise will be a problem.....

first, test your camera and find out how high the iso you can set and still have acceptable levels of noise
then test the shutter speeds to find out what you need to freeze objects moving at a certain speed

there you go, have fun

Any expert to enlighten what will be the preferred settings for Shutter speed for taking photos of dragonfly?

Yesterday i was at the bukit batok natural reserve, saw a bird, an eagle to me, came down the water and caught a fish! But i did not set my shutter speed correctly so my photo was total blur, so angry with myself.

Ok what will be the shutter speed preferred too for taking flyby birds?

TIA
I'm no expert but I'll try to answer your questions.
Like what ortega had said, there are no magic settings for such shots.
As for DF shots, that you are asking, it all depends on where the df is. Is it in the shade or in the sun? How bright is the sun or how dark is the shade? So there's no fix settings.
To catch an eagle catching fish, 1st you have to camp out & observe if there are eagles feeding out there. Then set up your gears & preset your settings & wait. If you are shooting something at an ISO of 25 & slow shutter speed @ the widest aperture, then suddenly you spot the eagle, you wun have the time to change the settings & definitely you'll fumble & miss the shot or in your case, totally blur.
Again there's no fixed shutter speed for flying birds. An eagle hovering in the sky 300 feet up & pigeons flying past you at 20 feet up & 10 feet in front of you are 2 different scenes. One is slow & the other is very fast. So there's no fixed shutter speed.
Go & experiment on such shots & see the results

dude, if you wanna freeze motion, 1/60 is not even fast enough to combat handshake blur, dun even talk about subject motion.

try 1/200 or 1/300 at the very minimum.

thanks guys, ya my hands are real shaky.

Will try the higher shuter speed and iso to test the noise acceptance.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.