Power options for long trekking trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an external power pack, meant more for wedding shooters who want to power up both camera as well as flash.

Quantum power packs

Since you're gonna be using the camera only, then it may be able to power your camera for a much much longer time than using just the batteries.

How much is a quantum?

erm memory problem... might want to consider something like this nexto
from the specification, a single charge should let you copy 30GB of data.

as for battery, best bet would be alkaline AA batt, but it gonna be heavy. :sweat:

Suggest bringing film camera.
KKH should be no problem, have power sources along the way.
If the 20days trekking Concordia, I suggest either bring lots of CFs & batteries and sell them later, or rent the CFs & batteries. I wouldn't want to fiddle with another device (portable storage), worry about another power source etc.

If u got porter, get a lead acid bettery.:devil:

Else, like what others said, film is still the best way to go.

I think it might be better if u can state the camera model you intend to bring, and an estimate of the number of shot you might be taking. :)

Yes- sounds like the most appropriate option will be:

- bring lots of rechargeable AA batteries to be used in my battery grip (for 400D) as these are relatively cheap and light-weight
- bring more cf's (thinking that I may need around 8-10Gb) rather than relying on external hdd storage

don't bring anyting that can easily malfunction, such as a portable HDD.

What camera are you using?

If you ar using BP511 batteries, get the ones with the largest capacity, I believe it's 1800amp.

Then get the largest CF cards. Well, 4GB is pretty common nowadays. If you get 2x8GB, you are home free.

You may even pre-sell them to some buyer, as long as you disclose to them you these are used cards and batteries.

just a word of advice, bring as few things as possible, bring things that are common parts, and dont bring things that have too many moving parts .. portable HDD.

I am a Canon DSLR user. Going on a trekking trip in the mountains for 20 days soon. Likely to be taking lots of photos- probably 10-15 Gb in total.
Thinking about problems with power supply for both the camera and storage device.
For camera, the obvious solution is to buy and carry lots of batteris- both expensive and heavy.
For storage, possible solution is to buy high-capacity Cf cards rather than using the storage device- again expensive.

In both cases power is the issue. Any bro has any experience to share or suggestions? Thanks

20 days, assume u take 1 gb a day.

anyway, CF card can buy a few... 2x10, 4x5, 8x3, etc...

batts is tricky, no power along the way, maybe u might wanna buy some enelope since it can hold its charge well. others loses charge in few days, might not last your 20 days. DSLR batts are darn ex...

but consider that, u might wanna buy lithiums/titaniums and throw them along the way. get lighter & lighter instead of carry all and carry back... demoralising.

else shoot sparingly on film.

... but consider that, u might wanna buy lithiums/titaniums and throw them along the way ...

Good idea to get the lithiums, they are quite lasting. :thumbsup: But not environment friendly to throw them along the way :nono: ...

I'd advise against bringing fewer, larger CF cards, once one dies, you'll be in trouble (not just losing the images you have on it, but the unused capacity as well). I'd get lots of medium-sized cards (1GB, 2GB), to spread out the risk, the weight difference is negligible.

I'd advise against bringing fewer, larger CF cards, once one dies, you'll be in trouble (not just losing the images you have on it, but the unused capacity as well). I'd get lots of medium-sized cards (1GB, 2GB), to spread out the risk, the weight difference is negligible.

Agree.

20 days without power. Not advisable to use rechargeable NiMH batteries as they lose charge faster than Lithium/Alkaline batteries.

Unless the new sanyo eneloop but at lower power ratings (2000) mah.

Do test out lithium batteries on how many shots you can get a pack and plan from there.

I am a Canon DSLR user. Going on a trekking trip in the mountains for 20 days soon. Likely to be taking lots of photos- probably 10-15 Gb in total.
Thinking about problems with power supply for both the camera and storage device.
For camera, the obvious solution is to buy and carry lots of batteris- both expensive and heavy.
For storage, possible solution is to buy high-capacity Cf cards rather than using the storage device- again expensive.

In both cases power is the issue. Any bro has any experience to share or suggestions? Thanks

Bro,
I don't have any practical experience on this one. Interesting situation, this one. And I like the variety of responses too.
When I have travelled, at the most its 2 days of travel without power supply - which is quite manageable.
Here's my 2 cents worth of advice.
1. Get 5-6 spare batteries. Shoot without displaying images on your LCD. Try to find ways to conserve power. At cooler termperatures, batteries will die faster. So carry them close to your body or buy some insulation material to keep the batteries warm. I have taken photos of 2-3Gb with one battery fully charged. Carry a spare charger too - in addition to the one you would already have. Who knows, you find some place with electricity - you can at least charge 2 batteries at one go.

2. Get multiple 1-2Gb cards. Even if one dies on you (highly unlikely, but then there are no guarantees in life - you could be the unlucky one), you won't lose a lot of images.

3. Carry a portable storage like the Digimate one. I got mine earlier this year for 280 bucks - 80 Gb. At every available opportunity, backup your photos. Keep the photos in your CF cards, don't format them, unless you run out of empty CF cards.

Depending on when you are travelling (hopefully not in Jan, as I am travelling too), I can lend you a spare battery and a 1 Gb card.

Good luck for your trip :thumbsup: and hope you share lots of those images with us when you get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.