Possible to use long exposure during daytime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ND8 means 1/8 of light is passing through. This equals 3 stops, not enough if you look into the table at catchlights' link. ND400 will cut about 10 stops, enough to get several seconds exposure time in daylight with f/11 and ISO 100.
More to read about ND: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

Great info..guess i need a ND400 then..are there ND 200 or 300? I think it cost in the region of $100? :sweat:

this is not an everyday filter, if you have little use of it, don't waste your money.

beside, nobody want to use it under board daylight, probable not much aesthetic value, or very bad color cast issue when you stack two filters

Last edited:
agree with catchlight, if you have little use of it, no point buying... borrow if you could, especially you are planning to use once or twice.

You can go for the cokin type of square filters, so you can reuse the ND filter across different lenses? Also think about stacking fliters if you need to cut more light.

You can go for the cokin type of square filters, so you can reuse the ND filter across different lenses? Also think about stacking fliters if you need to cut more light.

Could be an idea, but not sure about side effects (colour cast, filter flare) when stacking ND8. I got some flare when stacking ND4 and GND when shooting sunrise with sun in the frame. No surprise. But could work well in other situations.
Tagotech offers the Tianya system in bits and pieces. A 72mm adapter, 3 slots filter holder and 3x ND8 will costs only half of an Hoya ND400 but offers more opportunities to play and to use other filters (e.g. GND) from Cokin as well as Tinaya.

Great info..guess i need a ND400 then..are there ND 200 or 300? I think it cost in the region of $100?

you can get nd106 or nd110 from B+W.

i want to get a nd106.. sometimes 10 stops (which is more than 10, i'm sure) is too long.

3671342053_e34b9fa7d3.jpg

30s exposure

3778205320_8fde247e92.jpg

30s exposure

3049203345_3a4e54dc02.jpg

2min exposure

3983626591_41914dd8cc.jpg

30s exposure

3418668616_e76f65df1a.jpg

172s exposure

BUT you must understand that night86mare is the authority on landscapes & seascapes; esp. long exposures.

Woah...the effect is v nice! This is the kinda effect i wanna achieve. :D

Woo.so ND filter is what i need! Thanks for all replies! But they sound expensive?

Hey...any brand to recommend? I dont need a high quality like hoya brand which i know is ex. On avg how much does it costs?

Actually,I use a brand cheapo brand called Tianya,it's sold by eugenep.The cheapest you can get is 5 dollars.Provided you have a ring adaptor and a adaptor which will set you back 10 dollars each.I usually pair it with my hoya nd 8.It's not very much.That's why if you wanna get one,just get a ND 400 or a 110(B+W) and get done with it.

I believe your requirement is not distinct, I guess you want to obtain the effect of night shooting of the foliage and the cloud. But in the daytime, Things are different, The brightness of the foliage and the sky are not in the same level, so if you want to correctly expose the foliage, the clound will be overexposed.

Actually,I use a brand cheapo brand called Tianya,it's sold by eugenep.The cheapest you can get is 5 dollars.Provided you have a ring adaptor and a adaptor which will set you back 10 dollars each.I usually pair it with my hoya nd 8.It's not very much.That's why if you wanna get one,just get a ND 400 or a 110(B+W) and get done with it.

Do u have a few pics taken with that combination to share? :)

Hey..another query of mine before i commit myself to buy this piece of glass. I read some other forums on the usage of 10 stop filter and realised some of them had diffculty seeing the image from the viewfinder and had to pre-focus it before putting on the filter. but i assume they used it on evening or at dim surrounding?

On bright daytime shdnt have this problem rite? Can be used on AF rite? Not MF hor?

http://photo.net/nature-photography-forum/00QXud

http://omgili.com/jmp/jHIAmI4hxg9QL...DZNirE9iSw__sjdcJejnkYLkGRoH4DYmDswOOy7DwRw--

http://omgili.com/jmp/jHIAmI4hxg_I8...7ZyNILAkI119vTYFCiCJ7Z9LAFGwFf3_YQybkO3TUtA--

Hey..another query of mine before i commit myself to buy this piece of glass. I read some other forums on the usage of 10 stop filter and realised some of them had diffculty seeing the image from the viewfinder and had to pre-focus it before putting on the filter. but i assume they used it on evening or at dim surrounding?

On bright daytime shdnt have this problem rite? Can be used on AF rite? Not MF hor?

hello, is 10 stops ND filter, of course is almost black out even on a daytime, you have to compose your shot first, than do focusing (AF), after that switch to manual focus, finally attach filter before you trigger the shutter release.

btw, usually shoot with manual exposure only.

Do u have a few pics taken with that combination to share? :)

not as good as night86mare,but here goes.
4024127663_25a5f76af6.jpg

10sec
this is nd8 and gnd4.As you can see,the water isn't as silky as night86mare's,so that's why i'm contemplating on a darker one
4024884736_4d225fa54a.jpg

30sec
this was taken long after the sun set.So it was very dark.Only had a nd8 on as i was on a rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.