Portraiture lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangles112

Aug 31, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Visit site
I have been wanting to try portraiture for a long time now, but haven't the money to rent a set of 800w lights repeatedly. I have been talking to a few friends of mine, who actually make feature films over here, and they said that there are some lights at the hardware store, already on a tripod and all, for 40 dollars each. They are 500w and he vouches for their brightness and clarity. Has anyone had a simmilar experience with lights or any recommendations for what I could do.

Thanks a heap.

If this kind of lights gives out heat, you might even think of shooting your subject in an air-conditioned environment.

I'm not sure if they are hot lights, they are just garden spot lights and apparently they do the trick pretty well. I'd also love a flash umbrella setup, but I just don't ahve the money. Any ideas on cheap and effective lighting?

Tangles112 said:
I'm not sure if they are hot lights, they are just garden spot lights and apparently they do the trick pretty well. I'd also love a flash umbrella setup, but I just don't ahve the money. Any ideas on cheap and effective lighting?

torch lights ;)

Tangles112 said:

I am not trying to be funny but maybe outdoors would be a good idea?
It's free. :)

Happy shooting. :)

agree with wolfie...

Heaven's biggest softbox is at your disposal... you just have to learn to adapt to its emotional swings...

but hotlights are useful for adding effects

Wolfgang said:
I am not trying to be funny but maybe outdoors would be a good idea?
It's free. :)

Happy shooting. :)

you can use make shift lighting to a very effective extent... like those nice bowl lights from ikea? can install different power bulbs and install coloured gels over the bowl... really works... and play with mixed lighting... tungsten, blue and see the effects on daylight film... really nice.

I like outdoor shots, but the sun often gives harsh shadows below the nose and eyes. I could get a white sheet or something and use for a softbox or buy a small reflector...but i'd like to take pics when the time suits me, and not when weather permits :p. I work alot, so I was just going to lay a black or white sheet on a wall here, and light it like a studio with a slightly rippled white, or totally flat black backdrop. Most of my free time away from work is at night time, and the sun seems to disappear after around 6pm :p.

Thanks for your help guys, and would appreciate any advice, experience, or ideas that may be able to help me even more. Thanks to all those who have replied so far as well. You been of invaluable help.

Maybe you can tell us your budget.

Anyway you can also use the those compact flashes with umbrella, not cheap still if you don't own any of them currently......

see this
http://www.lonestardigital.com/flash_accessories.htm

should be able to use sigma 500 flash instead of canon 550 which has very similar features.

I'd love some umbrellas, they would be awesome, but i dont have $1300 to spend in the setup :S. I would only be looking at a few hundred...and thats maxing out my funds, because I will need to buy a backdrop as well. Anyone know where to buy them and how much they are? But yeah, I would love flash umbrellas, they would be great....but the cost is too great for me at the moment. I was going to get the spot lights, but they would look unprofessional and im also worried about the colour temperature of them, if they are more yellow and dont give rise to the natural flesh tones of the subject. I'm in a bit if a jam hehe. I guess there can be no real cost cutting in this inductry if you want great shots.

thanks for the help guys....if i dont have the money to buy a decent flash setup...i might go grab some of those lights for temporary thing. I just need to get something to light subjects....natural light has too many imitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.