Portrait lens recommendation and where to buy

steady...
i look forward to your macro shoots!

Dear Brian,

Thanks for the very valuable advice. haha basically i tried using sticking to various FL on my 18-55 during me and my gf's trip to botanica garden.

I inclined to think that 35mm suits my purpose more at the moment.

DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited => Most likely will get this lens to try out as well as to explore macro photography...

problem now is where to get it at good price... try seeing online site seems daunting after adding shipping/ gst and watnot:dunno:

Thank you boss, for kind advice!
somehow my heart is sold to 35mm macro....

Will buy it when i getting my wedding band to do some macro shots ! hiak hiak

Good choice... i have the DA35mm and I love it :lovegrin:

but have to tell u first: the DA35 is great a lens for portraits, walkaround, food photography, flowers and other static subjects. the 1:1 magnification is real handy. but once u get to the more challenging macro: INSECTS, u would find it too short :sweat:

a decent working distance is essential for touchy insects. Hence, u need another poison: 100mm WR :lovegrin:

Good choice... i have the DA35mm and I love it :lovegrin:

but have to tell u first: the DA35 is great a lens for portraits, walkaround, food photography, flowers and other static subjects. the 1:1 magnification is real handy. but once u get to the more challenging macro: INSECTS, u would find it too short :sweat:

a decent working distance is essential for touchy insects. Hence, u need another poison: 100mm WR :lovegrin:

haha lucky my interest in macro do not extend to insects.

more on maybe products or static shot of funny things around me!

cant wait to get it.... but wallet not very full due to wedding preparation......

cant wait to get it.... but wallet not very full due to wedding preparation......

Ah, you can invite all the Pentaxians to go and take photograph of your wedding... likely FOC and congratulations

Ah, you can invite all the Pentaxians to go and take photograph of your wedding... likely FOC and congratulations

Aiyah, where got free?
Driver must give ang pow, person open bridal car door must give ang pow...
so photographer/s taking photos also must provide ang pow/s... :sweat:

I'm not so sure. Once u see those insects macros picstures u would probably want to try it. If not 1:1 is such a waste for not taking those cuties bugsy wugsy insects. :bsmilie:

I'm not so sure. Once u see those insects macros picstures u would probably want to try it. If not 1:1 is such a waste for not taking those cuties bugsy wugsy insects. :bsmilie:

Especially those 8 legged, 8 eye creepy spider with funny hair here and there. :faint:
*Goose bumps* :eek:

mmm...how come no one recommends the "poor man's 77mm", the DA70 f/2.4?
That's not as fast but nonetheless a really nice portrait lens too and a whole lot cheaper than the 77mm (hence the "poor man" moniker) :bsmilie:

Aiyah, where got free?
Driver must give ang pow, person open bridal car door must give ang pow...
so photographer/s taking photos also must provide ang pow/s... :sweat:

He invite us, we give ang pow.
We take pictures for him, he gives ang pow...so break even.:)

I once took pictures for my friend's wedding, starting in the morning till dinner...armed with K1000+M50/2.0.

mmm...how come no one recommends the "poor man's 77mm", the DA70 f/2.4?
That's not as fast but nonetheless a really nice portrait lens too and a whole lot cheaper than the 77mm (hence the "poor man" moniker) :bsmilie:

DA70 f2.4 don't seem very popular leh. Probably heavily over shadowed by FA77.
I have one DA70 too and taking portraits is easy outdoor but not so indoor. Gotta make ample distance for subject to be framed.

Thanks alot bro! If i know Pentaxians so friendly, can save on my AD photography liao

haha but all paid liao!

DA70 f2.4 don't seem very popular leh. Probably heavily over shadowed by FA77.
I have one DA70 too and taking portraits is easy outdoor but not so indoor. Gotta make ample distance for subject to be framed.

That is 1 reason that why my preferred FL is not not to be too long.

just checked around seems like not alot of store having stock for 35mm macro.

My friend checked for me @ SLR, now about 780, seems like price going up up and away:dunno:

He invite us, we give ang pow.
We take pictures for him, he gives ang pow...so break even.:)

I once took pictures for my friend's wedding, starting in the morning till dinner...armed with K1000+M50/2.0.

bro give me ur 35 mm as present, treat u eat my whole bowl of shark fins!

onz bo! hahah:sweatsm:

Sure or not?
A bowl (serves 10) of shark fins cost more than my 35mm.;p

Confirm la!

U can bring 9 friend to eat.

1 dish nia, where got more than 35mm unless the whole 8 course hahah:lovegrin:

Dear All,

I am relatively new to DSLR and got myself a K-X. Had the dual kit lens version (18-55,50-200mm)

I am looking for recommendation on lens for taking portrait.

Think it will be only the 1 non-kit lens that i will be purchasing so i do not mind paying more for something.

Mostly taking pictures of my gf. haha any recommendations.

Tried looking thru the threads but seems alot of lens are no longer available now, so looking for lens recommendation which are easily available.

thanks alot for the help!

If you only want the new lenses, then here are a few suggestions :

1. FA50/1.4 - can't go wrong with this one actually. Very versatile as well
2. Tamron 28-75/2.8 - Fast normal at 28mm; Nice/sharp telephoto at 50-75mm; All for ~$700.
3. DA70ltd
4. 50-135/2.8 - a really fantastic zoom. The quality of the output is incredible. Ok, its $1K+, but you won't need anything else within its focal range once you get it.
5. 100mm macro (WR) - Portraits, Candids, Macro, mid-telephoto, fast lens. A big difference is its rounded aperture (very rare nowadays in modern lenses from any brand). Great versatility.
6. Some of the Sigma or Tamron mid-tele macros. (Eg. 105/2.8; 70/2.8, 60/2, 90/2.8, etc) - if the price is right ;)

If you only want the new lenses, then here are a few suggestions :

1. FA50/1.4 - can't go wrong with this one actually. Very versatile as well
2. Tamron 28-75/2.8 - Fast normal at 28mm; Nice/sharp telephoto at 50-75mm; All for ~$700.
3. DA70ltd
4. 50-135/2.8 - a really fantastic zoom. The quality of the output is incredible. Ok, its $1K+, but you won't need anything else within its focal range once you get it.
5. 100mm macro (WR) - Portraits, Candids, Macro, mid-telephoto, fast lens. A big difference is its rounded aperture (very rare nowadays in modern lenses from any brand). Great versatility.
6. Some of the Sigma or Tamron mid-tele macros. (Eg. 105/2.8; 70/2.8, 60/2, 90/2.8, etc) - if the price is right ;)

So many lens, so little money =(