portrait len

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivlaOof

May 5, 2007
little.RED.dot
Hi guys..
need advise on this...
i m looking for a portrait len... was looking at the nikon vr 70-200 f2.8..... but feel that it was too ex... so 2nd choice came sigma 70-200 f2.8 with marco.... then i was told by the saleman to also consider nikon 80-200 f2.8 becuz it cost as much as the sigma..

wat do u guys think???...

need feedback from those who own the above 3 lens... wat do u recommand??... is nikon 70-200 worth the bucks?... how is the perform of sigma..? does vr make a big diff???...

Pls advise :)...

Btw the 70-200 is not consider as a true portrait lens, you should be looking at 85mm or even 105mm range .. :)

anyway if you likes nikon 70-200mm then is worth the molar to go ahead .. :D

It depends on your 'style' as well.
While the zoom (80-200) can be useful, I'd prefer a simple 85mm 1.8 or 1.4 ;p.
take your time to choose!

prime like 58mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, 180mm or 200mm all can be use. ;)

Yup. But, 58mm is best for full body or 3/4 shots. Anything closer like full face portrait is not that pleasing (just my personal POV). The rest of the lens is OK for any close shot. And do take not of the closest focusing distance of each lenses & guage from there. :) Good luck shopping dude.

actually i have a prime 50 1.4... very sharp len:thumbsup:.. but thought that a zoom of 70-200 would be useful.... hmmm... actually im still considering.... that y need feedback and advise from u guys...

anyone used these zoom lens for portrait??? do share with me ur though? :)
any1 using the sigma 70-200?... how is the performance??...

sorry bro... wat do u mean by FX???

FX Format Image Sensor

The D3 FX format CMOS imaging sensor was designed from the ground up to offer exceptional light transmission properties, so photographers can acquire outstanding image quality even in low light conditions. With a high signal to noise ratio, a pixel pitch 15% larger than competitive cameras, gapless surface micro-lenses and advanced on-chip noise reduction means high-quality images under very low light levels are now possible. The sensor enables an ISO settings range from 200-6400, expandable up to the equivalent of 25,600 or down to 100.

FX Format Image Sensor

The D3 FX format CMOS imaging sensor was designed from the ground up to offer exceptional light transmission properties, so photographers can acquire outstanding image quality even in low light conditions. With a high signal to noise ratio, a pixel pitch 15% larger than competitive cameras, gapless surface micro-lenses and advanced on-chip noise reduction means high-quality images under very low light levels are now possible. The sensor enables an ISO settings range from 200-6400, expandable up to the equivalent of 25,600 or down to 100.

hmm.. dont think that those lens im considering have any FX... and im using d80... no $$ for D3.. :)

aiyah.... 85mm... 105mm.. good liao.

i have 85 1.8. so far good enough for me..

some have the 105DC. also very very good...

personally. my 85mm good enough liao..... i am contended with it. :bsmilie:

aiyah.... 85mm... 105mm.. good liao.

i have 85 1.8. so far good enough for me..

some have the 105DC. also very very good...

personally. my 85mm good enough liao..... i am contended with it. :bsmilie:

For you time to upgrade from d2h to d3 liao. :devil:
Also get the 85f1.4 or the 105DCf2 lah. :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

For you time to upgrade from d2h to d3 liao. :devil:
Also get the 85f1.4 or the 105DCf2 lah. :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

nononono....

105DC not so soon....

70-200 must come first liao.. since i dumped the idea for a 5D and 70-200 combo. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

den...... save money from there.

nononono....

105DC not so soon....

70-200 must come first liao.. since i dumped the idea for a 5D and 70-200 combo. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

den...... save money from there.

nah you just need excuse for the FX sensor lah... should be around the same price of D2xs loh.
keke :devil:

YMMV

If u are purely into portraits, go for 85mm prime lens. If u need a tele also for other shots, the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 is still sharp wide open but DOF isn't tat shallow compared to 85mm prime.

sigma 50-150 f2.8 ?

hmmm

here another qns... :)

isnt 50mm 1.4 as good as 85 1.4?... i thought the only diff is the (85-50=35mm) range rite?... correct me if im wrong :think:

hmmm

here another qns... :)

isnt 50mm 1.4 as good as 85 1.4?... i thought the only diff is the (85-50=35mm) range rite?... correct me if im wrong :think:

at the same aperture, and same distance, shooting something, the 85mm will give you approx 3 times thinner a depth of field, and perhaps a different bokeh as compared to the 50mm.

however given that the 85mm is a longer focal length vs 50mm, eventually when you take a few step backwards for the whole subject to be inframe, the depth of field is no longer as drastically thin as 3 times thinner, but perhaps 2 times.

Hi, I'm planning to get myself a walkabout cum portrait lens and I'm deciding between the 50mm f1.8 and the 85mm f1.8.

I'm haven't used lens of this focal length often so I would love to hear opinions about these 2 diff focal lengths. What are each of them primarily used to shoot? I didn't considered the 50mm f1.4 cause if i would use that focal length, I'd rather spend on the cheaper f1.8 variant and save the money.

Pls advice! Thanks:D

A question, does anyone shot portrait with 50mm at aperture f/1.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.