Portable Rechargable Drybox at Suntec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeguy

Jan 19, 2002
Jurong, S'pore
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Went down to Suntec Carrefour yesterday to try searching for the $19.90 drybox but they ain't selling it anymore. Only have a $39 version instead. Anyway, was walking around Suntec and saw this shop "Digital Point". Besides selling Am-Pro dry cabinets, there was this "portable rechargable drybox" on sale at $39 as well. Was rushing off already so didn't go into the shop to ask more about it. Just wondering if anyone knows about this drybox. Is it electricity based, since it's "rechargable"? If that's the case, I believe it would run on batteries right? Maybe someone can provide more info about it. :D

hmm.. i think u saw the same box i saw at carrefour. Actually its juz a air-tight box wif slicia gel. I nv buy it beco i can DIY it......

weeguy said:
Hi,

Went down to Suntec Carrefour yesterday to try searching for the $19.90 drybox but they ain't selling it anymore. Only have a $39 version instead. Anyway, was walking around Suntec and saw this shop "Digital Point". Besides selling Am-Pro dry cabinets, there was this "portable rechargable drybox" on sale at $39 as well. Was rushing off already so didn't go into the shop to ask more about it. Just wondering if anyone knows about this drybox. Is it electricity based, since it's "rechargable"? If that's the case, I believe it would run on batteries right? Maybe someone can provide more info about it. :D

Well, if I'm not wrong, it's just this rechargable electrical device that enable you to reuse the silicon bead. The $39 package includes a $19.90 dry box (with build in hygrometer), a bottle of 500g silicon beads, and one rechargable housing for silicon beads. The rechargable thingy cost $20 if you buy separately.

I see. In that case, what does this electrical device run on? AA batteries? How long would it take before I need to change the batteries then?

Well, just wondering if this can become a cheaper electrical and hassle-free (no heating of silica gel) alternative to the dry cabinet. :cool:

The "silica gel" is actually a de-humidifier. When it "absorbs" the moisture and turns color, you remove it from the drybox and plug the unit into the power outlet to "recharge" or more accurately speaking "re-dry" the unit and drive out the moisture. (it is like some people frying the used silica gel, or placing them in microwave to re-use it)

When the unit is dried, you unplug the unit and place it back into the box and it goes back to work to dry the air inside the drybox.

Konota also sells the dehumidifer only for $19.50, but it is a larger size than the one sold at Digital Point at Suntec.

Useful for placing inside cupboards to prevent molds from forming on your Lowepro bags and leather belts and shoes too. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who replied! Guess i learnt something new today. :)

Wonder if the price $39 quoted by Digital Point a fair deal. Does anyone know of places that offer a more competitive price?

errmm you sure you wanna pay $40 for a box and silica gel technology? I can sell you the same technology for almost 1/10 the price, a plastic box from mama shop, some silican gel, and the SUN as the free recharging unit. :D

I suggest if you really wanna fork out $40, just top up a bit more and get a dry cabinet. fuss free, constant humidity. (silica gel may be too dry for your equipment)

hoppinghippo said:
errmm you sure you wanna pay $40 for a box and silica gel technology? I can sell you the same technology for almost 1/10 the price, a plastic box from mama shop, some silican gel, and the SUN as the free recharging unit. :D

I suggest if you really wanna fork out $40, just top up a bit more and get a dry cabinet. fuss free, constant humidity. (silica gel may be too dry for your equipment)

Anyone knows if AP is still selling the DigiCabi/Olympus 30L Dry Cabinet at $70?

hoppinghippo said:

Can sun recharge the silicon gel beads, in the perpetually humid Singapore? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.