Pocket Wizard Or Phottix Strato??

adfvr

Sep 11, 2008
Behind VF
Sorry if I ask a very stupid question about strobist since I’m really new in this field.

I’m a Canon user (40D, 580EX2 and 430EX) and plan to fully utilize my flash with wireless trigger.
I’m considering between PW Flex+TT ($$$$) and Phottix Strato ($) and still in dilemma since my budget is really low.
I understand the concept E-TTL wireless support, but is this the main reason why I should choose PW over Phottix?
Can you please help to give me some input which one should I buy and why?

Thanks for your help.

seems like you have answer your own question with the $$ symbols and "really low budget".

Go Phottix way seems you are low on budget. You can always upgrade later. The sooner you get a workable piece of equipment that you can work with , the better.

if you don't have a problem with adjusting your flash powers manually, go with the phottix.

and of course if you are on a tight budget.

also the PW hit ratio would be higher than the strato I'm guessing, but i've heard the phottix atlas is on par with the wizards. Hey if PW are suing phottix over the atlas, i should think there is a good reason for it. Might want to look into the atlas.

Try the yongnuo rf series, same as strato (2.4ghz) and cheaper/more reliable (based on personal experience)

also the PW hit ratio would be higher than the strato I'm guessing, but i've heard the phottix atlas is on par with the wizards. Hey if PW are suing phottix over the atlas, i should think there is a good reason for it. Might want to look into the atlas.

I am also looking into it after seeing the test conducted by Rod Galbraith. Too bad, the FCC version will not be sold in US. The market still have lots of CE version.:bsmilie:

phoakm said:
I am also looking into it after seeing the test conducted by Rod Galbraith. Too bad, the FCC version will not be sold in US. The market still have lots of CE version.:bsmilie:

Yea my one all FCC also. Lol

phoakm said:
I recently just increased by PW ansenal. :)

Haha have no doubt. What did u get??

Loss my mini TT1 and AC3 during a shoot. :(
Got the mini TT1 and Plus 2 instead for the strobist training I am giving. :)

Shifu,

Can I attend your strobist training? How to register?
I'm keen to learn this from you.
Thanks.

if you don't have a problem with adjusting your flash powers manually, go with the phottix.

and of course if you are on a tight budget.

Paiseh, my knowledge in adjusting flash manually is as low as my budget.. :embrass:
Do you know if there is other wireless trigger that can do ETTL wirelessly? And of course with reasonable price. Thanks.

Last edited:
Shifu,

Can I attend your strobist training? How to register?
I'm keen to learn this from you.
Thanks.

I am a resident trainer for Studiospace. You can find them in the workshop thread.
I mostly trained people on outdoor strobing. There is a lesson on 27 Feb 2011, you may interested in signing.:)

Paiseh, my knowledge in adjusting flash manually is as low as my budget.. :embrass:
Do you know if there is other wireless trigger that can do ETTL wirelessly? And of course with reasonable price. Thanks.

Currently, only PW Mini and Flex can do that but very costly. Train your self on manual first. There are more fun in using manual. ;)

I am a resident trainer for Studiospace. You can find them in the workshop thread.
I mostly trained people on outdoor strobing. There is a lesson on 27 Feb 2011, you may interested in signing.:)

Cool, I will try to sign in if there is no commitment from my boss on that day... :)
Thanks.

Currently, only PW Mini and Flex can do that but very costly. Train your self on manual first. There are more fun in using manual. ;)

Sorry for asking, will you cover manual flash setting in your class?
I will learn how to do basic lighting from you and then buy the Strato later.

Sorry for asking, will you cover manual flash setting in your class?
I will learn how to do basic lighting from you and then buy the Strato later.

The training will cover how to take images using the flash and camera settings manually. This is good for those who have manual triggers. Will also add in some points on how to take shots beyond your camera sync speed manually.

Loss my mini TT1 and AC3 during a shoot. :(
Got the mini TT1 and Plus 2 instead for the strobist training I am giving. :)

ouch. stolen or lost?