Pls advise ..


Status
Not open for further replies.

simon80

Deregistered
Oct 8, 2004
1,469
0
0
#1
Hi ..
Somehow I think this the best forum to tell u guys about my problem..
Cos got more working adults ~

I am 25 this yr .. with a dip. in mechatronics.

Not a hardworking kind of student during sec sch ..
So my O level results was so-so. Manage to scrap to Temasek P after 2nd attempt. But still however the courses offer were limited.
Ending up in mechatronics - is wat I expected even before the posting results come out.

Even before the start of the course . . I decided to op out and go to NS. But after all the ranting from relatives blah blah .. I decided to stay in the course. I know I am following the motion throughtout the 3yrs. With really good study mates I manage to pass all subjects without getting a sub paper. Of course the worst grade is 'D'

Completed the course with an average of B- to C+ grade. Ended up in NS. Orded only Oct04. The very next day I ended up working as a camera sales promoter - till now.
Although the pay was good, probably good for a dip grad ..

Afterall I am still a dip. grad .. I think they should be a better job for me, wat I mean is an organising ladder for me to climb.. -- Probably Engineering .. But well ~ I don think I want to go into something I don really fancy. And most of engineering is 12hours shift.

The other option is gg to SIM .. The course I keen in is Banking & Finance.
I don know why too .. Probably most local banks job are office hours ..
The closing date for application is end of this month.

If I choose to study .. Part or full time ?

And somehow I am stuck at my path. I see no light ....
Ani advise ? Those from engineering / Banking & Finance field ?

25 years old ... quater life crises?

My advise to those young pple out there .. is to study hard and go the course you are keen in ..
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,694
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#3
you are too young to be going through a crisis.

25 is still young, time is all you have,
Are you married? Do you have dependants?

Success to me, is being able to do what ever you like.
There is no point in going after a high salery if you have to
drag yourself to work everyday.

Just stand at the MRT stations in the morning and look at the
faces of people draging themselves to work. Pitiful.

If you can go for your dreams and make it come true.
hope it helps.

Cheer up :)
 

Pro Image

Senior Member
Oct 31, 2003
2,822
0
0
47
Last planet from the sun
#4
ortega said:
you are too young to be going through a crisis.

25 is still young, time is all you have,
Are you married? Do you have dependants?

Success to me, is being able to do what ever you like.
There is no point in going after a high salery if you have to
drag yourself to work everyday.

Just stand at the MRT stations in the morning and look at the
faces of people draging themselves to work. Pitiful.

If you can go for your dreams and make it come true.
hope it helps.

Cheer up :)
Yes fully agree with Alex.

I beg to differ and you are still a young man. You should be enjoying life. Not stressing yourself. When I was 25, man I was enjoying my full life in Melbourne. Maybe in Singapore, life maybe tougher but who cares.

When you start to work for someone or have your own business, have a family, house loan to pay, car loan to pay, insurance, your kids educations, and blah blah...........That's when you start to stress.

So go enjoy......pls! Besides, being lazy is nobody but your own fault. So unless you get your life back in one piece in your education department, nothing else matter for now.
 

alankuik

New Member
Jan 26, 2004
92
0
0
Toa Payoh
www.picturesky.com
#5
yar man bro...

always look on the bright side of life.... *humming*
Study and do wads in your interest. Only dat way u prob dun have to force / drag urself to work next time.
 

simon80

Deregistered
Oct 8, 2004
1,469
0
0
#6
tks for the advises ..

theITguy said:
I ORD in Oct 04 too, now looking to get into SIM Banking and Finance. Note that application if not wrong is by 15th March.
I was at the career fair yst .. I got the applications and it stated 31st of this month .. :)
 

Hommie

Senior Member
Oct 11, 2004
925
0
0
Singapore
#7
ortega said:
you are too young to be going through a crisis.

25 is still young, time is all you have,
Are you married? Do you have dependants?

Success to me, is being able to do what ever you like.
There is no point in going after a high salery if you have to
drag yourself to work everyday.

Just stand at the MRT stations in the morning and look at the
faces of people draging themselves to work. Pitiful.

If you can go for your dreams and make it come true.
hope it helps.

Cheer up :)
My advise, be your own boss! Start your own dreams, or at least work toward it!!

If what Ortega said is true, then I am already living my dreams, haha!
 

Pro Image

Senior Member
Oct 31, 2003
2,822
0
0
47
Last planet from the sun
#8
Hommie said:
My advise, be your own boss! Start your own dreams, or at least work toward it!!

If what Ortega said is true, then I am already living my dreams, haha!
I think he needs some working experience b4 opening up his own. Hehe.....without any kinda of experience, he will end up where he first started.
 

blurblock

Senior Member
May 30, 2003
3,827
0
0
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
#9
25 yrs old and you are complaining? I am 33 and I just quit my job to try to pursue my dreams ...... working like a dog in a place where appreciation is only given people with long tongue (for use with bootlicking) is pulling me down :D ......

Trying to be my own boss ;D ..... I hope I can make it :D
 

Hommie

Senior Member
Oct 11, 2004
925
0
0
Singapore
#10
Pro Image said:
I think he needs some working experience b4 opening up his own. Hehe.....without any kinda of experience, he will end up where he first started.
Definitely, that's why I said at least work toward the goal. Lots of people are aimless working people, trying only to expand their pay check. No life, no dream.

Dare to live, dare to dream! That the point of living! :bsmilie:
 

Pro Image

Senior Member
Oct 31, 2003
2,822
0
0
47
Last planet from the sun
#11
Hommie said:
Definitely, that's why I said at least work toward the goal. Lots of people are aimless working people, trying only to expand their pay check. No life, no dream.

Dare to live, dare to dream! That the point of living! :bsmilie:
Okie okie......so young boy. You heard the Lao Jiao oredi. Go work towards your goal. Don't become a photographer!!!!! :sticktong
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#12
From what u wrote, u are not very keen in studying, so the next best option to start working and make a living.
Having a diploma in mechatronics is a good start. There are still many factories in Singapore. You can apply for Assistant Engineer/Quality Engineer/Production etc. Get some hands-on experience and learn the skill.

If you are more outgoing type, and can talk well, get those Sales Engineer job.

A career path needs 10-20 years to climb, you wont see it when you are at bottom of the climb.....
 

Hommie

Senior Member
Oct 11, 2004
925
0
0
Singapore
#13
Pro Image said:
I think he needs some working experience b4 opening up his own. Hehe.....without any kinda of experience, he will end up where he first started.
Anyway we all failed one way or another in life, if he ended up where he begins, then got the experiences to avoid the first mistakes and try, try again. And yes, work smart! No point 'chong, chong, chong' without knowing the directions!!

Chong! Chong! Chong!!Chong! :sweatsm:
 

John Teoh

Moderator
Staff member
Oct 16, 2004
2,059
1
0
Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
#14
simon

Sorry to say this but I think you are in a passive mode. You are waiting for people to decide for you what your life going to be. Like now, you can't even decide if you want to study or working. You are going to blame people when the things don't turn out as what you expected.

Maybe you want to ask yourself what you want to do or be in the after 10 years. With that goal, at least you can plan and decide for yourself. I already wasted 10 years before, I'm not going to waste another 10 years thinking what I want to do or be.

Cheers
John
 

Pro Image

Senior Member
Oct 31, 2003
2,822
0
0
47
Last planet from the sun
#15
John Teoh said:
simon

Sorry to say this but I think you are in a passive mode. You are waiting for people to decide for you what your life going to be. Like now, you can't even decide if you want to study or working. You are going to blame people when the things don't turn out as what you expected.

Maybe you want to ask yourself what you want to do or be in the after 10 years. With that goal, at least you can plan and decide for yourself. I already wasted 10 years before, I'm not going to waste another 10 years thinking what I want to do or be.

Cheers
John
Very good advice........thank god i was never in a passive mode. I decided my fate and what i wanted to do when I was 15. To be a photographer.

I think it's because of stiffer competition among many Singaporeans makes him think thrice. So that is probably why he wanted to ask us liao jiao.
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#16
simon80 said:
Hi ..
Somehow I think this the best forum to tell u guys about my problem..
Cos got more working adults ~

I am 25 this yr .. with a dip. in mechatronics.

Not a hardworking kind of student during sec sch ..
So my O level results was so-so. Manage to scrap to Temasek P after 2nd attempt. But still however the courses offer were limited.
Ending up in mechatronics - is wat I expected even before the posting results come out.

Even before the start of the course . . I decided to op out and go to NS. But after all the ranting from relatives blah blah .. I decided to stay in the course. I know I am following the motion throughtout the 3yrs. With really good study mates I manage to pass all subjects without getting a sub paper. Of course the worst grade is 'D'
Seriously sound like u studied blindly. OK, anyway u passed with a Diploma. Not too bad an attempt.

Completed the course with an average of B- to C+ grade. Ended up in NS. Orded only Oct04. The very next day I ended up working as a camera sales promoter - till now.
Although the pay was good, probably good for a dip grad ..
Hmm... Sounds like u're not really happy with the job.

Afterall I am still a dip. grad .. I think they should be a better job for me, wat I mean is an organising ladder for me to climb.. -- Probably Engineering .. But well ~ I don think I want to go into something I don really fancy. And most of engineering is 12hours shift.
And u think Diploma is big f***? I believe a couple of guys here got Masters and they are NOT hopping on the low pay and short career path they're getting.

The job does not revolve around u. Have u proved ur mettle to show ur bosses that you DESERVE a promotion rather den sitting around and daydreaming about it?

The other option is gg to SIM .. The course I keen in is Banking & Finance.
I don know why too .. Probably most local banks job are office hours ..
The closing date for application is end of this month.

If I choose to study .. Part or full time ?
Don't keep drifting. Now ask yourself, WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO?

And u can sure bet u'll be working AFTER office hours... waaayyyy past the 8hr mark.

And somehow I am stuck at my path. I see no light ....
Ani advise ? Those from engineering / Banking & Finance field ?

25 years old ... quater life crises?

My advise to those young pple out there .. is to study hard and go the course you are keen in ..
Quarter life crisis? Hey, I'm 26 this year. I'm not facing any so-called 'quarter life crisis' other den paying off for my part-time studies with my pay.

Is there any difference between u and me? No. Except the fact I ended my official state education at ITE level and u at Poly.

Part-time or full-time studies it matters not. U can go and take full-time Masters, don't know what u want and eventually still go back to square one.

Now, ask yourself. WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOURSELF 20YRS LATER?
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#17
Pro Image said:
Very good advice........thank god i was never in a passive mode. I decided my fate and what i wanted to do when I was 15. To be a photographer.

I think it's because of stiffer competition among many Singaporeans makes him think thrice. So that is probably why he wanted to ask us liao jiao.
And u're living out ur dream nw. Good for u bud. :D
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#19
I sound so fierce meh? :embrass:

I think I muz tone down liao or ppl will start thinking dat I'm a butcher, pathologist, embalmer and undertaker by career... :sweat:
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#20
from most of the post... i see alot of ppl saying wanna be bosses & such... just to relate a recent incident...

i have 1 company with few partners, we join into their as a 'joint' venture, partly cos they can't sustain themselves, and also we have the expertise but lack manpower... but when becoming bosses, mean that you have to be prepared to sacrifice your time, savings, or whatever, for the goal & purpose of that company you intent to build... but when everybody becomes selfish... the company just collapse... if u think that your every month's pay is important, your time is fixed, you becoming a boss means that you have the luxury of money that flows like water down a rapid stream... then thats all an illusion cast by the modern invention called the TV, nothing is as close as it seems on TV...

without hardwork & sacrifice, you won't make it big... even if you put in your best, the results may not be even the least bit you have projected... life is not a bed of roses... out of 100 companies registed, maybe 50 gets going, 1 get to be on TV... the rest all bites the dust... i am being optimistic here...

if you think you are not the motivated kind... i suggest that just work for others, spend your life just working for other ppl's dream... having a passion is good.. having a goal in life is good... but not everybody can do that... most ppl who went into making their own business flung blames on the govt, the luck, and everything else except themselves... but most of the time its their strategy that went wrong... and they envy ppl's success but have no idea how they did it & said he was lucky... maybe they are lucky... but there is still hardwork...

(enough of my bible... just not to pour cold water... just that i hope everyone just not get carried away by the entrepeurner dream)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom