Pls advise on this Computer Spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Retro
I used to build my own system, then I got lazy and bought a Dell. The good thing is that you can buy RAM from SLS and add on to the Dell system without voiding the warrenty. You can change your own video card, and add your own CD-RW. That's what I did. Best of all, you have an original OS and 3 year support. Price like I mentioned is about there, but hey, it's a whole lot simpler and less stressful!

Agree with Retro on this since you already seem to have a CDRW, just check what brand of DDR RAM the Dell comes with & try to match it with another 256MB or 512MB even. Do check what type of casing it comes with & the no. of 5.25' bays. Ideally it should have one spare bay so that you put in your CDRW without having to take out the existing CDRom drive for greater versatility.

I used to build my own system, then I got lazy and bought a Dell. The good thing is that you can buy RAM from SLS and add on to the Dell system without voiding the warrenty. You can change your own video card, and add your own CD-RW. That's what I did. Best of all, you have an original OS and 3 year support. Price like I mentioned is about there, but hey, it's a whole lot simpler and less stressful!

Really? I am not violating the warranty in anyway by adding stuff to the system? I know some companies are rather particular abt this. I have a cdrw in my present system and it would be great if I could transfer it to the dell system.

Check with Dell ... that's why they don't have stickers at the back of their PCs. In the past if your sticker is ripped, your warrenty is void.

Hey, that's what they told me. Anyway, I added in RAM, and a CD-RW. Now thinking of upgrading with new secondary hard disk and new video card.

Check with Dell ... that's why they don't have stickers at the back of their PCs. In the past if your sticker is ripped, your warrenty is void.

Hey, that's what they told me. Anyway, I added in RAM, and a CD-RW. Now thinking of upgrading with new secondary hard disk and new video card.

Ok. Will check it out with them. Tks alot for the info!! :)

I'm no computer expert. Hence can't help a lot but got a DIY computer 2 months or so ago for between 1800 to 2k. (+ additional add ons later.)

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.4GHz.
- 512MB RAM at 333MHz
- 80 gig IBM HDD
- 16x Creative DVD ROM
- 128MB Elsa 525 GRAPHICS CARD
- Integrated 5.1 Channel(Audio) Capable
& Integrated intel 10/100 Ethernet on the Abit mother board
- Norton anti virus bundle with mother board software
+ Casing, Fopply disk, int. moderm + 4 additional usb2.0 port + firewire card+ mouse & keyboard & speaker

monitor & CD writter salvage from old set. the above set up is more for 3d & video editing work. base on yr requirment, U should be able to go far below the price.

secondly though these "branded stuff" provides customer/tech support it is important to know where is their customer service base.

Eg. my old office use GAxxxxx computer system. When we called for tech support, we are actually calling KL customer service centre. It takes ages for the tech support to refer a local agent to us. This local agent came by, realise it's the graphic problem, feed bad to the KL ofice, KL office has got no spare part, got to import it in from USA to KL then to Singapore. No doubt the shipment are all done by realiable shipping company. But the key issuse here is it take them 1 1/2 months to settle the matter fully. And this done only with many angry calls from our side

Whereas for a DIY set, u might not get the support U need bt when a problem arises, it can be tackle easily.

Hence, it important for the end user to know what's happening behind the customer service number!

Originally posted by jtnet
I'm no computer expert. Hence can't help a lot but got a DIY computer 2 months or so ago for between 1800 to 2k. (+ additional add ons later.)

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.4GHz.
- 512MB RAM at 333MHz
- 80 gig IBM HDD
- 16x Creative DVD ROM
- 128MB Elsa 525 GRAPHICS CARD
- Integrated 5.1 Channel(Audio) Capable
& Integrated intel 10/100 Ethernet on the Abit mother board
- Norton anti virus bundle with mother board software
+ Casing, Fopply disk, int. moderm + 4 additional usb2.0 port + firewire card+ mouse & keyboard & speaker

monitor & CD writter salvage from old set. the above set up is more for 3d & video editing work. base on yr requirment, U should be able to go far below the price.

secondly though these "branded stuff" provides customer/tech support it is important to know where is their customer service base.

Eg. my old office use GAxxxxx computer system. When we called for tech support, we are actually calling KL customer service centre. It takes ages for the tech support to refer a local agent to us. This local agent came by, realise it's the graphic problem, feed bad to the KL ofice, KL office has got no spare part, got to import it in from USA to KL then to Singapore. No doubt the shipment are all done by realiable shipping company. But the key issuse here is it take them 1 1/2 months to settle the matter fully. And this done only with many angry calls from our side

Whereas for a DIY set, u might not get the support U need bt when a problem arises, it can be tackle easily.

Hence, it important for the end user to know what's happening behind the customer service number!

One of the reasons why Gat8w** are no more in SG.

Originally posted by munfai
like Zerstoner said, flash is mainly cpu intensive. meaning to say that even if you graphics card is the latest Radeon 9800 but your cpu is a lowly tortoise, the animation will still be jerky. the 3d capabilities of a graphics card are not utilised by flash at all.
but we are looking at a p4 here dude :)

Originally posted by gabriel06
but we are looking at a p4 here dude :)

err... so what is your point here? the p4 is powerful enough to provide fluid animation in most flash movies. it still does not depend on the display card!!!

Originally posted by cyrilng
One of the reasons why Gat8w** are no more in SG.

Oh Really?!! that's a blessing for many Singapore User!!!
:gbounce: :gbounce: :gbounce:

err... so what is your point here? the p4 is powerful enough to provide fluid animation in most flash movies. it still does not depend on the display card!!!
other animations????
i feel not point going OT here
if u still feel that a good graphics card is not needed so be it !
for me i still prefer a 64mb or above graphics card
and i would still reccommend a better graphics card !

other animations????

ooops... sorry if i was being too argumentative and persistent!

:embrass:

other animations????

Depends on what you are referring to.

As per the original poster's requirements, Flash and Photoshop are solely 2D applications. All the transforms are done by the CPU and hence the graphics card need only be capable of good 2D rendering speed.

What would you think is a better graphics card for such a purpose?

I was thinking along the lines of a Matrox G400/G550 or a basic Radeon based card.

Please elaborate on how a 64MB graphics card would help in non-3D applications.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Depends on what you are referring to.

As per the original poster's requirements, Flash and Photoshop are solely 2D applications. All the transforms are done by the CPU and hence the graphics card need only be capable of good 2D rendering speed.

What would you think is a better graphics card for such a purpose?

I was thinking along the lines of a Matrox G400/G550 or a basic Radeon based card.

Please elaborate on how a 64MB graphics card would help in non-3D applications.
"Flash and Photoshop are solely 2D applications"
erm.. ok if that is ALL that the user needs
but the choice is with the user
its just my pt of view that a better graphics cards is better
if u dun otherwise, its ur problem :)
i dun actually bother
personally i feel ram & graphics card & processor are the most impt
: )
u may feel otherwise too
but as i said its just a personal preference & i dun see wats wrong with it.........
no point going on & on right??
mr computer expert
i'm really new to computers
i'm so sorry i know nothing about computers

ooops... sorry if i was being too argumentative and persistent!

:embrass:
its ok dude
cos its like kinda personal preferences here if u get wat i meant

there still alot of things to consider..

is there a need for good sound / good speakers
are u an avid music fan?

changing the sound card n speakers would be nice

what about the monitor a 17" crt or a flat ?

would changing the cd-rom to a rewritable be good. A cd-rw is popular and making backups of your system especially photographs

no doubt the ram in the workstation is insufficient. It barely makes the mark.

I am using a p3 800 latop with 256 ram. Able to switch to dreamweaver and photoshop easily. But when photoshop has lots of stuff or when the file is getting big it can be a problem.

A good graphic card can help in Falcon's requirements if he sees the need for dual monitor support. That would ease alot of time/space etc when he multitask.:cool:

i dun actually bother
u may feel otherwise too
but as i said its just a personal preference & i dun see wats wrong with it.........
mr computer expert

Ignorance I have no problem with, the tone of your replies is another...... :what:

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Ignorance I have no problem with, the tone of your replies is another...... :what:
ok care to share wassup with my tone??
sorry if i sounded harsh
best of regards
gabriel

the extra ram on the graphics card are not utilized if the user does not play 3d games or do 3d design. please be aware the different graphics cards on the market are for different purposes and levels of users. it doesn't mean the more ram the better for the user.

don't be blinded by the normal consumer number game.

i dun actually bother
u may feel otherwise too
mr computer expert

i don't think it is enough...
256 MB ram and the 16MB AGP card....
consider DIY...
Win XP Home OEM selling below S$150
u buy this kind of branded computer very hard to maintain. once spoil you must call them. cannot change parts urself... so must pay what they sae... no customizations at all...
haha juz my three sense...
hope this helps

Wow dude. Digging last year thread huh !!! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.