Please recommend a short portable motorized slider ...

RyanKhoo

Apr 6, 2008
Hi there,

I have a Varavon motorised slider which is 1 meter in length, can be programmed to do timelapse.

However, I find it too troublesome to carry around even in Singapore itself, let alone to overseas. Also,a long slider requires 2 tripods, makes it even more troublesome for me ...

I am now looking for a short and portable motorised slider which can be used to do timelapse.

Any recommendation, please ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Actually, the Nebo slider can be customised to any length. But maybe you can come up with your own solutions by rethinking:
Must it be a slider?
Can you stabilise your shots in post or with a gimbal?
Can a Syrp Genie be modded for your short distance motion timelapse by tugging on an eldelkrone pocketskater or an iflow pro?
How about the Hercules or the Myrmica 50 cm for shorter exposures (daytime TL)?
What do you enjoy more, the process of creating a timelapse or the satisfaction of getting good results with little effort?
Will using a fisheye and Panolapse work for your purpose?
A slider only offers a few looks so it can look repetitive (eg very near foreground parallax, exegrarated z axis perspective on wideangle etc) But if you lug it and don't use it on a holiday...

Last edited:
Hi there,

I have a Varavon motorised slider which is 1 meter in length, can be programmed to do timelapse.

However, I find it too troublesome to carry around even in Singapore itself, let alone to overseas. Also,a long slider requires 2 tripods, makes it even more troublesome for me ...

I am now looking for a short and portable motorised slider which can be used to do timelapse.

Any recommendation, please ?

Thanks

If you have the budget for it, Edelkrone's Slider Plus (Small 40cm / US$400) + Action Module (US$570) looks like it checks all your boxes.

https://www.edelkrone.com/p/138/slider-plus

Dont u have a myrmica? That's suitable

Another way is to mount varavon (panning head only) onto a wheeled carriage, then it's quite portable and able to do long slides ... add on diy rail and voila! :)

Dont u have a myrmica? That's suitable
Haha yes, to be honest I really forgotten I have that ... but this myrmica does not have a motorised device to record timelapse, right ?

Another way is to mount varavon (panning head only) onto a wheeled carriage, then it's quite portable and able to do long slides ... add on diy rail and voila! :)
Me not good in DIY leh ... :embrass::dunno:

If you have the budget for it, Edelkrone's Slider Plus (Small 40cm / US$400) + Action Module (US$570) looks like it checks all your boxes.

https://www.edelkrone.com/p/138/slider-plus

Thanks kandinsky,

Pardon me because I think I am missing something ...

I looked at the specs, why the small 400mm slider can travel on tripod a max distance of only 400mm ?

Notwithstanding that after we minus both rubber ends (and considering the plate cannot move fully end to end), shouldn't the travel distance be about double the length of the slider (ie around 800 mm or 700+ mm) ?

But how come the 400mm (ie. 336mm to be exact) length slider can only travel a max of 400 cm when it should be able to travel roughly double its length ?

Thanks

Thanks kandinsky,

I looked at the specs, why the small 400mm slider can travel on tripod a max distance of only 400mm ?

Notwithstanding that after we minus both rubber ends (and considering the plate cannot move fully end to end), shouldn't the travel distance be about double the length of the slider (ie around 800 mm or 700+ mm) ?

But how come the 400mm (ie. 336mm to be exact) length slider can only travel a max of 400 cm when it should be able to travel roughly double its length ?

Thanks

This is because the platform on which you mount your video head or ball head has a certain width. If this platform is 10cm wide, your camera's sensor will be 5cm away from the ends of the slider even when you slide it to either end. Thus you'll lose 10cm of sliding length.

When you get a slider, choose one that has the smallest platform. It will give you the longest effective slide possible.

Unless you put it on a tripod to get 40cm of effective slide, I believe the 40cm Edelkrone will perhaps only give you 30cm without a tripod (this is my guess coz I dun own an Edelkrone). So with a tripod you gain 10cm??

Haha yes, to be honest I really forgotten I have that ... but this myrmica does not have a motorised device to record timelapse, right ?

Me not good in DIY leh ... :embrass::dunno:

ur myrmica have a motion control (i think it works as a really slow move, not a shoot-move-shoot)

it should be able to support mirrorless, i doubt can use a d750 on myrmica

Last edited:
Thanks kandinsky,

Thanks

I think alternus's guess is correct. Because the tripod base is large. Given that it's a small slider, so this takes up a larger percentage of the 'travel'. If you see their images, the base is 1/3 the width of the Small already. Also it seems like their 'travel' measurement probably measures from the center of the camera mount (the mounting screw). So the travel measurement only starts about 7cm in on both sides. Which is probably how they arrived at 200mm usable travel (on ground) on a 336mm device, and 400mm on tripod. If you measure from the side of the carriage then you will have a longer perceived travel.

A rough drawing based on their pictures that I think explains this:

o4jWpLQ.gif

Last edited:
ur myrmica have a motion control (i think it works as a really slow move, not a shoot-move-shoot)
Yes now I remember, I bought an extra motor. So it came with a fast motor & another slow motor ... Your memory is good ...

it should be able to support mirrorless, i doubt can use a d750 on myrmica
Yes too heavy for D750

Thanks kandinsky for the diagram illustration ... fully understand ...

But am I correct to say that this combination can only do daytime timelapse ? If we do a night timelapse, the shutter speed with a long exposure of say 3 secs per shot will cause the picture to shake as the slider is moving slowly along the slider all the time ... unless the slider can stop for 3 seconds when the camera is taking a shot ...

Thanks

I think alternus's guess is correct. Because the tripod base is large. Given that it's a small slider, so this takes up a larger percentage of the 'travel'. If you see their images, the base is 1/3 the width of the Small already. Also it seems like their 'travel' measurement probably measures from the center of the camera mount (the mounting screw). So the travel measurement only starts about 7cm in on both sides. Which is probably how they arrived at 200mm usable travel (on ground) on a 336mm device, and 400mm on tripod. If you measure from the side of the carriage then you will have a longer perceived travel.

A rough drawing based on their pictures that I think explains this:

o4jWpLQ.gif

Last edited:
@ryan - edelkrone action module should have shoot-move-shoot function (but make sure you confirm with edelkrone first before buying) since it's made for timelapse
sliderplus is only the slider
action module is the motion control attachment

total damage = at least USD1k =)

But am I correct to say that this combination can only do daytime timelapse ? If we do a night timelapse, the shutter speed with a long exposure of say 3 secs per shot will cause the picture to shake as the slider is moving slowly along the slider all the time ... unless the slider can stop for 3 seconds when the camera is taking a shot ...

Thanks

No idea. Don't own one. You have to look at the specs of the motion control module to see if it can do that.

Thanks

No idea. Don't own one. You have to look at the specs of the motion control module you wanna buy to see if it can do that.

Last edited:
Hi pettypoh & kandinsky,

Don't know why ClubSnap website is currently so slow like tortoise ...

Anyway, thanks for this manual link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfsYUJo6YuQ

If you see some where around 21:30, it says that for timelapse, you need to answer/key-in these 5 questions:

1) starting point
2) ending point
3) how long you are shooting
4) frame rate
5) how long you want the final outcome of the video to be.

So, from these 5 questions, the slider will determine the interval and how fast the slider will move ...

Before you start, the system will warn you of the max shutter speed that you can set on the camera based on the 5 inputs that you have made ...

For your info ...

panning head - amazon is selling USD$128.99 (also got cheaper versions)

i think i have seen this at funan before, but can't remember which shop already

u have radian2, why need this?

Last edited:
panning head - amazon is selling USD$128.99 (also got cheaper versions)

i think i have seen this at funan before, but can't remember which shop already

u have radian2, why need this?
Yes, I have radian2 , so don't need this.

Was thinking if this is really cheap no harm getting one bcos this panning head is convenient, no need to charge battery and also no need to sync with iPhones ...

Also, was wondering, why that website list their product but do not list the price ... kinda weird ...

Cheers

Last edited: