Please help me decide whether to get Minolta 5D or Nikon D70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefflyc

Mar 11, 2004
Hi everyone, trying my luck then spinning a coin to choose 5D or nikon D70s.
Mainly want fast AF to capture my 3 yrs old kid.
If I post in nikon forum, they will advice me to get nikon, vice versa rite?
any comments is appreciated. thks

Do you own existing lenses of either brand? If you have then stick to the system you already have.

If you don't consider the 5D because of Anti-Shake, and good image quality even at high ISO. That would make the 5D better for available light photography (can handhold when others already need a tripod).

jefflyc said:
Hi everyone, trying my luck then spinning a coin to choose 5D or nikon D70s.
Mainly want fast AF to capture my 3 yrs old kid.
If I post in nikon forum, they will advice me to get nikon, vice versa rite?
any comments is appreciated. thks
i would tell you to try both together, be it at sitex or any shop. see which one you are comfortable with as well as the results (photos).

5D Focus is fast enough. BUY.. BUY..BUY...!!:devil:

PICT0122a.jpg

PICT0130a.jpg

d70s is faster however d5d also fast enough to capture such
_ict9624_copy.jpg

_ict9628_copy.jpg

_ict9446_copy.jpg

All taken with kit lens

I am in the same dilemma as jefflyc, except that I am deciding between the 5D and D50 (IMHO, D70s is in a totally different price bracket and more comparable to Canon 350D).

Basically as a family photographer, I seem to think the 5D has better features for the price - AS and the more usable 18-70mm lens kit (vs. D50's 18-55mm and pricier D70's equivalent)

eow's pictures certainly look sharp, but I wonder whether the pictures would be blurry in less capable hands like mine.

Decisions, decisions -> budget, budget:embrass:

Hi jefflyc & Simon4rings,

Atleast for me, I did some review on the net, check the features, go to the shop, ask for the KMD5D, paid and straight charged my batteries. ;p No second though!

The price is amazingly reasonable. Just imagine the money you would save from buying all those IS/VR lens. Nothing beats that, although some of my friends are quite scepticle about the built-in AS but what the heck, even benz had a full-line called back. ;p

Can i clarify one thing? Did you post a similar question in Nikon's channel too?? If not, you know you have decided. :sweatsm:

if you have no brand loyalty, i'd recommend the d5d too. anti-shake and better ergonomics IMO.

d70 user

Both are capable to do the job. D70 (D70s?) ergonomics is better IMO. What is your budget in mind? If you want to keep the budget low, go with 5D. The price is very attractive and AS is a big plus!

the only thing i don't like is D70 viewfinder, very small.

ortega said:
look at the whole system and decide if it is the one for you.

agreed.. but budget and needs have to taken into consideration.

deslim27 said:
agreed.. but budget and needs have to taken into consideration.
also look at your kakis and get the same system as them (sharing of resources)
you'll never know if you need to borrow something

ortega said:
look at the whole system and decide if it is the one for you.

Ortega has raised an important point here; "Whole System" vs "Camera", so my choice is either Canon or Nikon, so if need to get 3rd party or original lenses, accessories etc. they are readily available here (most of the time).

ortega said:
also look at your kakis and get the same system as them (sharing of resources)
you'll never know if you need to borrow something
Sharing resources will be the last thing on my mind, my main priority will still be the system, just because I have 95% friends in Canon, doesn't mean I won't purchase a Minolta.

Like you say dude, the system matters.

When I go out for a photoshoot with my kakis
and i see a good scene that will benifit from CLS
i'll have afew SB800s to do it, thanks to my kakis

at the same time when (touch wood) i run out of juice for my cam
there will be an extra battery somewhere.

and if there is something that you need info on (like a setting or problem)
someone will know and be able to advise.

think about it, "the system" to me includes the shooting experience
to have fun while shooting

Hiee..Pals...

There are different level of users....some of which:

Type 1 - go for just the camera + kit lens and the rest is history. You dont see them drooling over accesories....probably only batteries (Shops don't like these type of people...:bsmilie: ) They can use the camera until next two to three generation.
Probably buying a couple of lens or two....along the way ...to enjoy the simplicity and stress relieving benefits of photography as an art and hobby....

Type 2- go for Camera + kit and third party stuff - budget. Includes flash and
accesories. Get the lens from the widest zoom to the longest zoom. As long as can cover
attitude - get job done.

Type 3 - go for Camera + kit and original brand stuff - more money to spend. Includes flash and accesories. Get the lens from the widest zoom to the longest zoom.

Type 4 - Take the catalog and work on buying all thats in there. Then complete. Sslowly sell off one by one to change system to start wrkin gon completing another catalog purchase.

Type 5- Take the catalog and work on buying all thats in there. Sit in the dining table with all the items laid out and daydream to "feel like" a pro.....Or probably take lead to organise outing to "shine" their investment...and pai swee.... to let others drool... (Shops like these type of cameragrapher)

Type 6 - Actual Pros...or users who earn die hard money as a photographer - don't care brand, as long as can have some items from catalog to meet his/her requirment or even better off getting sponsorship...

Type 7 - Test engineers - buys items to test mand make sure things are in specs - if not in specs..... report it to a forum....(not the manufacuter :bsmilie: )

lists....goes on....

if you are basically you are type 1.....then the 5D would be a great one to choose personally - AS really works ...its not a myth...cut the crap about the looks of it....its external appearance does not effect the photo...

rgds,
sulhan

jeffhiew said:
Ortega has raised an important point here; "Whole System" vs "Camera", so my choice is either Canon or Nikon, so if need to get 3rd party or original lenses, accessories etc. they are readily available here (most of the time).

I think jefflyc should indicate budget for the camera/system. "Whole System" is quite meaningless for a person who are looking for a camera, probably additional just a longer zoom, and a accessories flash. ;p

sulhan said:
if you are basically you are type 1.....then the 5D would be a great one to choose personally - AS really works ...its not a myth...cut the crap about the looks of it....its external appearance does not effect the photo...

Same opinion lor..

"cut the crap about the looks"? 5D looks ugly meh? :bsmilie:

sulhan said:
Hiee..Pals...

There are different level of users....some of which:

rgds,
sulhan

Hi Sulhan

You left out my type of user:

Type 8 - do tons of online research to look for that "perfect" camera. Thinks he's found it, buys it though out of budget, still takes crappy pictures, gets frustrated, leaves camera in cold storage and reverts back to his PnS :sweatsm:

In terms of aesthetics, I have to admit the 5D isn't the sexiest. It has a rather dated boxy look, and doesn't have the nice textured surface. Still, an all round performer without any particular achilles' heel, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.