Plasma TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phildate

The gf and I are getting seriously tempted by the currrent range of Plasma Tvs but it is an obvious minefield and I'm confused by some of the terminology/technical aspects. Any experts out there can shed any light?

Contrast ratio. More is better right? Or more decrease half-life of gas?

Do you need 1024x768 or 852x480 ok for DVD/TV viewing?

Anything else to look out for/avoid? Would love to get the Pioneer but doesn't seem worth spending the extra few thou over the Panasonic or Samsung. Any other models to consider?

Thanks in advance!

I find that Pioneer is worth the premium. Somehow, the Samsung ang LG sets loose a lot of details in high contrast scenes. Panasonic is not too bad.

Cheers,

You get what you pay, I am using the Pioneer and in terms of colour and details it is one of the best. However you do not really need 1024x768 as currently no broadcast in singapore reach that definition unless you always connect to a computer. DVD viewing is no problem unless of course if you use HDMI output than no choice. The second choice will be Panasonic but beware of connectivity as their connectivity are modular and you will have to buy them if you need more connections.

Phildate said:
The gf and I are getting seriously tempted by the currrent range of Plasma Tvs but it is an obvious minefield and I'm confused by some of the terminology/technical aspects. Any experts out there can shed any light?

Contrast ratio. More is better right? Or more decrease half-life of gas?

Do you need 1024x768 or 852x480 ok for DVD/TV viewing?

Anything else to look out for/avoid? Would love to get the Pioneer but doesn't seem worth spending the extra few thou over the Panasonic or Samsung. Any other models to consider?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Dennis and Benny for confirming what I thought and for clearing up resolution issues. Will probably go for Panasonic but the Samsug trade-in deal is tempting - would get $1000 for my two-year old Sony 29" - didn't even cost me that in first place!

If you can afford it, get as high resolution as possible. This would not only allow you to use your PC with it, but also watch High Definition content when it becomes available. These are typically 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080. Your normal DVD is 720 x 576 (PAL) or 720 x 480 (NTSC), TV programmes here are 720 x 576 too.

Regards
CK

There are some really cheap and spoilt 29" TVs that are being sold on Yahoo! auctions for less than $50. Samsung's website says that the trade in is valid regardless of the condition of the television.

I made a check and found out that the price of a typical 32" Plasma / LCD television will still cost $4000+ after the trade in.

The LG RT42PX10 (with XD Engine) is the most value for money Plasma you can get now.

It's about $4800 , probably the cheapest you can get for a 42" Plasma. However there are reviews that say that there is a out-of-sync problem with the audio and video. But I have no problem with mine at all. And I think it's money well spent!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.