Pictures from Nikon and Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS, I like your inqusitive and objective approach to understanding..maybe because I am like that also.

I laugh at pseudo scientists, amused by the parrots and entertained by out of context echoes. I like to enjoy a hobby with factual understanding, my IQ permits. It may not directly help in my practical skills, but at least i won't laugh at myself in the mirror.

In TV or Hi Fi systems, products from Europe, US and Japan have characteristics which meet different taste of the people in different countries.

Before LCD TV, when I bought TV set, I went for european set, I prefer their color to the Japanese set. For hi fi speakers, I like the sound of products from certain countries.

In cameras, do different brands have their own unique color or presentation? Wonder what's the difference in the pictures from Nikon and Canon. Is this the main reason you choose your camera?

Answer is Yes there are nuances of difference in photo, hifi, TV. We all know that.
Answer is buy both brands + then some....if it bothers you a lot.
Answer is if you don't want to buy a lot, then choose which nuance you like best and stick to that.

Last edited:
LBL2009 said:
- since you have already bought the camera, why still want to compare this and that?

[Not comparing this and that, only wish to learn something I don't know.]

- what kind of answers you will get here? Nikon better? Canon better?

[Which is better is not the answer I am after. I have repeated a few times and if my question is still misleading, I have to write better. Some response to this thread are very useful and answers which are factual are most helpful. It helps me in this hobby.]

- what kind of answer you looking for? for telling you meet a right choice? or a wrong decision?

[Answer I am looking for are characteristics of cameras of different brands. Information helps a person to stay objective and he can make informed decision. I am not unhappy with the first camera I bought, it was a right decision but I should not stop learning.]

- so if you come to a conclusion that another system is better, are you gonne change system? yes? no?

[No plan to change my camera. And it is not the purpose of this thread.]

- Why don't just spend the efforts on your current camera, learn how to use it, make full use of it, learn how to use your current gear how to make nice photographs. unless you are more interested on comparing cameras than taking photographs.

[Thanks for the reminder, I spend a lots of time with my camera and take pictures.]

It's good to be inquisitive, but perhaps your energy would be better spent learning how to tweak this and that on your D40 to get the pictures you want (unless you say you're already an expert on the D40).

I lead you back to my point, which is that the camera does a lot of processing in order to produce the JPEG output. The reason why a Nikon JPEG and a Canon JPEG (or other brand, for that matter) might look different, is because they use different default processing algorithms. I would hazard a guess that it'd be possible to get the JPEGs almost identical, but I have neither the time and patience to do it, nor the Canon camera to try.

It's good to be inquisitive, but perhaps your energy would be better spent learning how to tweak this and that on your D40 to get the pictures you want (unless you say you're already an expert on the D40).

I lead you back to my point, which is that the camera does a lot of processing in order to produce the JPEG output. The reason why a Nikon JPEG and a Canon JPEG (or other brand, for that matter) might look different, is because they use different default processing algorithms. I would hazard a guess that it'd be possible to get the JPEGs almost identical, but I have neither the time and patience to do it, nor the Canon camera to try.

I am tweaking the D40 to try to get the picture I want as you have suggested. So I am on the right track. :) Still need lots of practice, reading and learning. And asking.

People respond to this thread differently, some add values, some send reminder, some seem to tell me not to ask. It is alright. The approach of learning is different. :)

I wouldn't call this particular thread a 'war', which I guess is not what you meant too, since you put it within quotation marks.
It's only natural that 2 competitor brands get compared endlessly.
BMW vs Mercedes, Google vs Yahoo, Microsoft vs Apple, Boeing vs Airbus, etc etc etc.

what's important is not to get carried away with inflammatory comments about the other brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.