Picture got cut out when developing

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLee said:
Mmm...:bsmilie: ...Thank for your advice.
But I'm still puzzle about this a bit.
Does this mean that the photo never get "bigger" when we go from 3R to 4R?:think:
The problem comes out when the "aspect ratio" (not sure whether i used the right term) of 3R and 4R is different?:dunno:
Will this problem cause the picture to be cut in all directions, i mean top, bottom, left and right??

Regards
SLee

Actually you'll get the same thing (some cropping) even in Singapore when you print 3R, 5R and etc. I use to complain about that a long time ago until I found out about the aspect ratio issue. A 35mm negative is 2:3 ratio, a 3R is 3:4 and a 4R is 4:6 (which is the same as 2:3). Do you get the picture? Actually if you go to these developers they have their machine calibrated to print such that you won't get a full 100% of your negative image on to even your 4R. This is because they want the image to be always slight enlarged as compared to your photo size to ensure that you won't get fringes lines onto the printed photo. So, what they do is they usually would enlarge the image slightly and also set a kind of offset presets based on some edges and print from there; hence, you'll see croppings of different sizes on all 4 sides on these machines done automatically. But when you go for selective reprints sometimes the guy will do some manual adjustments and if he knows what he's doing he'll adjust the cropping to see how it best fit. Hope this helps in explaining what you've encountered. I guess you'll know more about aspect ratio once you go digital and start to print your own photos on your inkjet printers. ;)

zcf said:
The ratio between 3R & 4R are differrent,
3R 3.5" x 5" 7:10 1050 x 1500
4R 4" x 6" 2:3 1200 x 1800
So the they can either squeeze the 2:3 ratio into 7:10 and cause distortion, or they cut it from 2:3 ratio into 7:10, so they choose to cut the out of 7:10 ratio part.

yup...i think the standard film frame dimension is 24mm x 36mm which is 2:3. so this would enlarge nicely to fit 4R paper. 3R is is 7:10 or approx 2:2.86. so u would lose around 5% of the long side...maths rusty so excuse me if numbers are wrong ;p

SLee said:
The crop away can be seen on the negative. Is just they cannot reproduce it on the picture. Have no idea how much has been crop away though, because never seen the full size one.

That means the statement from the shop is true??:dunno:

Ai ya....guess i have to apologise to the shop for calling them unethical.:bsmilie:

I thought they cropped your negs.

They're right man....3R will get cropped. Better to print 4R.

HI all,
A BIG thank you to all the Bro and Sis here.:thumbsup:
Finally i understand the whole picture.
so how you guys solve this problem?:dunno: Like for example, object got cropped away. Cannot possibly ask the shop people to take care of the picture one by one right.:bsmilie:

So normally will go for 4R print then select one nice one for bigger print or something like that?

SLee said:
HI all,
A BIG thank you to all the Bro and Sis here.:thumbsup:
Finally i understand the whole picture.
so how you guys solve this problem?:dunno: Like for example, object got cropped away. Cannot possibly ask the shop people to take care of the picture one by one right.:bsmilie:

So normally will go for 4R print then select one nice one for bigger print or something like that?

i usually go for 4R. about $3-$4 more per roll i think, but looks nicer to me.. and dun have to worry so much about getting cropped off.

SLee said:
Paiseh :embrass: , dunno how to show, because I got the print out photo and the negative only, from the negative can see there are quite a bit of space but then on the photo the object is cut off a bit. :bheart:

ahhh.... so it's not the negative then, but the print. and yes, that's normal. like someone else wrote - different aspect ratio. unfortunately, in my case, it was the negatives that were cut. :cry:

sgphoto said:
ahhh.... so it's not the negative then, but the print. and yes, that's normal. like someone else wrote - different aspect ratio. unfortunately, in my case, it was the negatives that were cut. :cry:

hmm..that one i think they aim wrongly when positioning on the negative cutter :think:

i recently crop my pictures using photo shop to 6x4 inches but in the end sent for printing also kana cropped... so sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.