pics of tokina 11-16 mm in action at f/2.8?

nahtanoj

Feb 9, 2009
Hi guys, I am considering getting either the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or Sigma 10-20 mm f/4-5.6. I am not quite sure how useful f/2.8 is for an wide angle lens (I am thinking of using the wide angle lens mostly for landscape). Can someone please post shots taken with the Tokina lens at near f/2.8? Thanks! :)

Do we have any proud owners of the 11-16mm lens around to share their words of wisdom with us? I am thinking of buying one this week.

Thanks for the link. So far one interesting use of the f2.8 that I saw on flickr is this:

low light landscape
- foreground @ f2.8 to capture the details and texture in the low light (dun need flash)
- background @ smaller aperture for the depth of field
- blend the 2 exposures into one spectacular image

Of course you could just set up a tripod and use one long exposure instead, but I guess the above is great if your foreground subject is a person or moving.

Are there other good ways of using the f2.8 at a wide angle? Thanks!

hey.. i am looking for the tokina 11-16 as well... do you know the current price ?

I only know the tokina price from the forum

AT-X 11-16 f/2.8 : MS $888/ CP $940

check under canon

hey.. i am looking for the tokina 11-16 as well... do you know the current price ?

$950 Nikon mount, as quoted by MS cash settlement. CP quoted $1,030, but can pay in instalments! Price has increased. :cry:

I do love his street shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ken-gilbert/3096251813/

And this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tokyololas/3232660680/

And this..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/courterblog/3230359486/

PS: TheChef, is it possible get better price if get together..?

I can call lady boss Florence from MS tomorrow to check if you will. But, there is some rumours that Sigma may be coming out with 10-20mm f2.8. Don't know whether it is true or not. But, Tokina 11-16mm is still the best wide DX lens currently according to expert reviews.

Last edited:
And all this prices dont yet include UV filters hor?...++$$

bought this afternoon at SGD950 + a Hoya UV filter (SGD65) :)

i got it from John.. in-fact.. i plan to "test" it and go home.. get another time.. but is just too "addict" ... who know the price will go up again tomorrow. :confused:

Like what TheChef suggested.. u guys can buy few.. could get better discount from MS? *free UV filter hehe

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. So far one interesting use of the f2.8 that I saw on flickr is this:

low light landscape
- foreground @ f2.8 to capture the details and texture in the low light (dun need flash)
- background @ smaller aperture for the depth of field
- blend the 2 exposures into one spectacular image

Of course you could just set up a tripod and use one long exposure instead, but I guess the above is great if your foreground subject is a person or moving.

Are there other good ways of using the f2.8 at a wide angle? Thanks!

You don't need to blend two images to get detail in the foreground. There's something called hyperfocal distance.

As for how you can use f/2.8 for wide angle applications, it's really a lot of self creativity.

Hi.. I am comming to Singapore this march and will do some lens shopping. I wonder whats the price there for this lens?

I have a Sigma 10- 20mm and just bought a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 as an upgrade. I like the Sigma but think things look better with the Tokina. It is very sharp! I wanted a faster lens for low light situations. I have only used it once so far- these are unedited but only resized by Photobucket for posting. Between the Sigma and Tokina- the choice would be easy. Go Tokina if you can afford it. In the US it is about 25% more but worth it in my opinion.
1) Lifeguard Tower
DSC_0011.jpg

2) Lost Shoe
DSC_0040.jpg

3) Pier Cafe
DSC_0054.jpg

Sorry- these were not shot at f/2.8 but at f/5.6. But this one was:
4)Marina and Boats
DSC_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots JeffryZ. I want to get this lens, but the camera store that I frequent has run out of stock.

It is hard to find which is why I snatched one up when I saw it. I was hoping to save up a little more money but can still afford it for now. I live in California and they just said they are going to raise sales taxes so that was a consideration too. I was at my local dealer looking for something else- went out and shot the afternoon with the Sigma and decided to pick up the Tokina on the way home. I would also be eventually interested in trying their 50- 135mm f/2.8 as an "event" lens- a DX equivelent of a 70- 200mm f/2.8. The lens is solid and feels really good.

It is hard to find which is why I snatched one up when I saw it. I was hoping to save up a little more money but can still afford it for now. I live in California and they just said they are going to raise sales taxes so that was a consideration too. I was at my local dealer looking for something else- went out and shot the afternoon with the Sigma and decided to pick up the Tokina on the way home. I would also be eventually interested in trying their 50- 135mm f/2.8 as an "event" lens- a DX equivelent of a 70- 200mm f/2.8. The lens is solid and feels really good.

Congrats on getting the Tokina 11-16mm. Yes, according to reviews the Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 lens is a very competent lens too. The pictures in your photo galleries are very nice. Thanks for sharing.