Picking up Photography

Woot! 1st Post!!
Hi all!! =D

As per title, I wish to pick up photography as a hobby but have trouble deciding.
I wish to get a decent digicam and pick up some skills before making a decision to buy a DSLR. My research seems to point me to Panny's TZ8/10 due to its flexibility.

Much appreciated if you could advice me on which compact cam I shld go for =)
This is my 1st time buying a camera.

Camera Type/Size:
- Compact, smaller than LX3 (to slip into a jacket pocket.)
Use:
- Picking up photography skills
- Photos for blogging/facebook (resolution is not an issue)
- A light companion for oversea travels if do get a DSLR
Required Features:
- Decent ISO quality up to 800
- Decent no flash, low light shots (For wider learning & party shots. Again, resolution not an issue.)
- Manual Modes (To learn photography skills with)
Budget: $500 ~ 650 SGD
Brand Preference: None
Models in mind:
- Panasonic TZ8/10 (has a 3mp high sense/low noise mode)
- Cannon Power Shot SX210 IS (15 - 1/3200 shutter)
- Fuji F200 EXR (has low noise/high sense mode)
Other notes:
- I prefer to stay away from memory sticks if possible.
- Not intending to do much post processing. Raw is not required.
- Zoom is not an issue.
Intend to get 2x telephoto magnetic lens if its below 5x, exclusive of budget.
Eg: http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/Besel+Digital+Camera+Telephoto+Lens

PS: Out of curiosity and pure fun...
How much optical zoom can i get if i decrease image resolution on Tz8/10 to 3mp and attach the 2x telephoto lens above?

Your topic should be about buying a camera. Picking up photography is totally a different subject and nothing in photography is discussed here. If you understand how a spectrum of light passing through an optical system gets recorded on film/sensor to form an optical image, and how different variation of each will affect the image formed, shopping for a camera is the simplest and most basic step. Aprreciation of the art itself is totally different. So picking up photography should begin with some vision of the type of photographs you want to capture and for what purpose. Then, go ahead and pick up the most basic camera that allows you to control the key basic principles like aperture, shutter and ISO. Shoot different variant of the combination of these principles and understand the resultant images and why they were formed that way. That's how I will advise anyone who wishes to pick up photography instead of just buying a camera and not understanding how those images were captured.

Your topic should be about buying a camera. Picking up photography is totally a different subject and nothing in photography is discussed here. If you understand how a spectrum of light passing through an optical system gets recorded on film/sensor to form an optical image, and how different variation of each will affect the image formed, shopping for a camera is the simplest and most basic step. Aprreciation of the art itself is totally different. So picking up photography should begin with some vision of the type of photographs you want to capture and for what purpose. Then, go ahead and pick up the most basic camera that allows you to control the key basic principles like aperture, shutter and ISO. Shoot different variant of the combination of these principles and understand the resultant images and why they were formed that way. That's how I will advise anyone who wishes to pick up photography instead of just buying a camera and not understanding how those images were captured.

whoops... sorry for e misleading title.
i am keen on learning photography but dont have a camera. this is why i specified e need for manual controls as i do wish to learn how aperture, exposure, iso n such affect the taken image such as bokeh effects.

but yeah, i have managed to narrow down my search after much research n reviews. e links provided by daredevil were helpful in making my decision. will head down over e weekends to make my decision =)

i'll be looking at canon's sx210 is and panasonic's tz10 as i need a versatile compact for my frequent future travels.

Last edited:
Hi I started off like you, wanna get a pro-sumer type (manual setting adjustable) type camera to start off photography hobby not knowing if will it be a 3-mins passion type of situation. SO my decision was to get S90. (reason being - sleek, light, new, fits my requirement + budget)

To me at that point if time - MAD to bring DSLR around first its bulk, heavy and troublesome.

When i arrived MS color, i was introduced to LX3 coz i still itchy backside ask the sales person LX3 better or S90, so he told me of coz LX3 though he use GF1 to posion me too.

Ok all along i been liking LX3 so i got it instead of my decision of s90.

After using from feb till now - i realized that i came to understand that LX3 is good but still have limitation comparing to DSLR. Secondly, if i want to play with long exposure, high Aperture value or like zooming - LX3 cant serve me on it. End up i am prone towards DSLR now ... but still using my LX3.

And now when i go out for taking photos etc even my recent trip, i brought LX3, D80 and tripod. (this tells you that once u r into photography or keen this having nice photos or holding higher expectation to your photos, you dont mind lugging heavy bagpack around)

My ultimate purpose of this response is to inform you, it really depends on yourself. See and decide.Since u narrow down the list already. the more u ask the more u r being introduced to different items and ur decision might start to flicker.

From your initial requirement - S90 fits the bill super well.

If u see S90 in real, its really sleek and stylo to me.

Only after u started using ur camera, depending on how u want to explore your type of photography, then u will understand that maybe u need something better.

TO start off ... no matter how, the user is you, the payer is you, so you decide and u and start off the journey to photography.

Above from my newbie experience .....
:)

Sorry for e late reply.

Due to some stuff, I'll prob be traveling alot in abt 10 months from now.
Therefore, I need something small to carry around.
Though I'm in no rush to buy camera, LX3 n EX1 are too bulky for my travel needs.

Hence, I've reviewed my needs and am willing to learn to work round e camera's drawbacks.
Pls advice =)

Camera Type/Size:
- Compact, smaller than LX3 (to slip into a jacket pocket.)
Use:
- Picking up photography skills
- Photos for blogging/facebook (resolution is not an issue)
Required Features:
- Decent Low light shots
Achieved via bayer compression/twilight modes or ISO 400/800 0.5~2 sec exposure
- Optical Zoom while recording
- Manual Modes (To learn photography skills with & work round low light issues)
Budget: $500 ~ 650 SGD
Brand Preference: None
Models in mind:
- Panasonic TZ8/10
- WB650
Other notes:
- Not intending to do much post processing. Raw is not required.
- Zoom & Resolution is not an issue.
- Global Warranty is not an issue

Hi I started off like you, wanna get a pro-sumer type (manual setting adjustable) type camera to start off photography hobby not knowing if will it be a 3-mins passion type of situation. SO my decision was to get S90. (reason being - sleek, light, new, fits my requirement + budget)

To me at that point if time - MAD to bring DSLR around first its bulk, heavy and troublesome.

When i arrived MS color, i was introduced to LX3 coz i still itchy backside ask the sales person LX3 better or S90, so he told me of coz LX3 though he use GF1 to posion me too.

Ok all along i been liking LX3 so i got it instead of my decision of s90.

After using from feb till now - i realized that i came to understand that LX3 is good but still have limitation comparing to DSLR. Secondly, if i want to play with long exposure, high Aperture value or like zooming - LX3 cant serve me on it. End up i am prone towards DSLR now ... but still using my LX3.

And now when i go out for taking photos etc even my recent trip, i brought LX3, D80 and tripod. (this tells you that once u r into photography or keen this having nice photos or holding higher expectation to your photos, you dont mind lugging heavy bagpack around)

My ultimate purpose of this response is to inform you, it really depends on yourself. See and decide.Since u narrow down the list already. the more u ask the more u r being introduced to different items and ur decision might start to flicker.

From your initial requirement - S90 fits the bill super well.

If u see S90 in real, its really sleek and stylo to me.

Only after u started using ur camera, depending on how u want to explore your type of photography, then u will understand that maybe u need something better.

TO start off ... no matter how, the user is you, the payer is you, so you decide and u and start off the journey to photography.

Above from my newbie experience .....
:)

Thanks for sharing w me your experience!! =D
I think i'll still go for SX210 or TZ10.
They may not have as much capacity as LX3/S90 but I I'll work round their weaknesses.
I learn better when there are a few walls here n there XD

Additionally, I saw some photos/videos taken via these models that are really solid!
If i can take photos like those, I would be quite satisfied =p

As for S90... its inability to zoom while recording is really disappointing =/
Though it may not have much zoom, i would buy bought a 2x telephoto lens to make up for it.
If it could optically zoom while recording, i would have bought it immediately.

Last edited:
They may not have as much capacity as LX3/S90 but I I'll work round their weaknesses.

Additionally, I saw some photos/videos taken via these models that are really solid!

Though it may not have much zoom, i would buy bought a 2x telephoto lens to make up for it.

Sounds like you have come to a decision. Congrats! ;)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Welcome to the path of photography :>

Thanks guys! =D
i'll head down to e store over e weekends to make decision.

If you are doing 1 sec? I really hope you have it on a tripod. If you have it on a tripod, there is no need to go 400 or 800, large aperture and raise EV. Just use a fairly small aperture (F8 or F11), ISO set to base, let EV=0, and shoot in timer mode, mounted on a tripod.

Shot on an old prosumer Fuji S9500 (9MP) by my wife on a $40 tripod. keystone distortion corrected in PP.

ISO80, 20s, F11, EV0, 28mm
4490657392_ec0d98d466_z.jpg

You sure you do not want to go DSLR? Compare to this:
4892675244_a112d4dd12_z.jpg

whoops...
missed this post. my mobile's screen is too small >.<

great pix! =D
thanks for e comparisons but i'll stick w tz10 or sx210 (lol now having a hard time deciding as both are just as good! will resolve this when i go to e store)

i was thinking of 1 sec exposure for party shots at 400 iso. i got this suggestion while researching on tz7/8/10 which produced decent results without flash. for landscape, i was thinking of using tz10's 15~60 sec exposures at base iso w a tripod.

pls advice cos i'm puzzled. wouldn't base iso and a smaller aperture as you suggested result in a very dark picture?

Last edited:
i was thinking of 1 sec exposure for party shots at 400 iso. i got this suggestion while researching on tz7/8/10 which produced decent results without flash. for landscape, i was thinking of using tz10's 15~60 sec exposures at base iso w a tripod.
How do you manage to stop all people for 1sec?
To me it rather sounds like 1s exposure for ambient light and freezing people in foreground with 2nd curtain flash. But 1sec will give you light trails. Can be quite fun for party shots, though.

If you find LX3 too big for comfort, you can forget about DSLR.

pls advice cos i'm puzzled. wouldn't base iso and a smaller aperture as you suggested result in a very dark picture?

Not if your shutter speed is long... ;) It is all a 3 point balance, between ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

If you find LX3 too big for comfort, you can forget about DSLR.

I never said anything abt buying a dslr & dont intend to buy one any time soon =p
I'll be busy travelling about...

Not if your shutter speed is long... ;) It is all a 3 point balance, between ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

oh ok XD
But that's applicable only to night scenery rite?
What abt party shots?

How do you manage to stop all people for 1sec?
To me it rather sounds like 1s exposure for ambient light and freezing people in foreground with 2nd curtain flash. But 1sec will give you light trails. Can be quite fun for party shots, though.

EDIT:
Found it!
http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2010/05/tz10-flash-and-no-flash-night-photography-with-people/

the 1st pict in that post is taken without flash. seems decent and usable. it was taken at 0.5sec shutter.

Last edited: