155.5 KB · Views: 15
  • $image-484533894.jpg
    $image-484533894.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 14
  • $image-1603774357.jpg
    $image-1603774357.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm no pro but I can offer some tips on how to improve.Do bear in mind that this is your
artistic impressions or vision...there is no right or wrong. What makes a portrait special...the lighting,framing, clothing selection/colour matching, makeup, hair and most of all facial expression of the subject. Thanks for sharing.PS you combine 6 photos into one so I can't separate them unless I reprocess them in windows paint.Add normally for a maximum of 6 photos next time.

Since you asked for a critique in general a critique have three points..
1. What's good about the photo.
2. What's bad about the photo.
3. What can be done to improve it.

PS It helps if you number your photos for reference easily.

Pic.1

What's good...skin colour looks healthy and pink, it's not reality but art...haha.

What's bad...Photo don't look razor sharp but I guess you like a soft look?
The pose of her right hand because it is inline with the elbow looks odd to me.The flow
lines could be better?

What can be improved...If you are one on one with model maybe you could have visualise the framing better too? Are you using existing/available lighting?

$bath2.jpg

Pic.2 What's good...a brave attempt at glamour photography.

What's bad...photo lacks pop, contrast dull.They say men are more prone to
colour blindness..haha.Just kidding! Compare your original with my retouched version.
I only use the tone curve in Lightroom 2.5...very old I know. Which do you prefer?
Your's is more yellow and mine more to red for skin plus more contrast.

What can be improved...practice and more practice looking at colours.

Pic.3

What's good...skin colour.

What's bad...right leg cut off. Again the alignment of right hand with elbow produces
an odd shape.

Edit: By odd shape hand I mean hands that look claw-like ( fingers opened) are less attractive and to be avoided compared to gands that have the karate chop look ( fingers closed) or natural relaxed hands with curved palms and fingers.

What can be improved... better posing.

Pic.4

What's good...high key exposure for subject.

What's bad...perspective distortion because hands are nearer the lens making them appear
larger.

What can be improved...can try blurring hands by soft focus.

Pic.5 and 6

What's good...nice skin tone and soft lighting.

What's bad...bad framing leads to feet being cut off.Lower half of body out of focus unless you want to hide something.Has to do with shooting angle.

What can be improved...better framing/composition. Only pic.6 has catchlights in the eyes.
Compare this to all other photos without catchlights in model's eyes.They are less alive right ( expression I mean)? Of course you can add catchlights in post processing but it is always better to capture them in camera. May look more natural.Pity you spent money and time but more preparation like reading up could have prepared you to take good photos.
Better luck next time.

Edit: PS it's not easy to capture true emotion and beauty ( inner beauty ) unless model
is a seasoned pro. Cultivating trust and professionalism is key..(building rapport is easier said than done for some photograhers). Reading books on posing of this genre helps..."search" if you know what I mean.Bright lighting not conducive to generating mood.

Last edited:
Bro, next time got this kind of lobang fill me in ......maybe if you are lucky, can pick up some practical tips from me..... :bsmilie:

Thanks for the comment

The pictures looked like they were shot on film, it's either your focusing was off or the scanning was not done properly.

no. 2, 5 and 6 have potential. you are not controlling the light well, light all over the place. Try to shoot with natural light 1st or ambience light for more natural feel.