Photos from 50mm Challenge #2 @ Little india

wormz777

Nov 3, 2002
N/A
This thread is for those bros who joined the challenge on 6 Oct 2014.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453072

Total shooting time is around 2 hours and the challenge is to stick to a 50mm (or equiv) lens throughout. Location: Little India. Weather: Overcast turned Sunny after 1 hour.

Everyone is to only post 3 best shots of the challenge. Discussion and critique - free for all :)

Last edited:
wormz777 #1
ST_20141006_-_1.jpg

wormz777 #2
ST_20141006_-_2.jpg

wormz777 #3
ST_20141006_-_4.jpg

This is very good! I love the colours, texture and the inverted composition. It looks like a splash of colours onto a dull grey canvas.

Last edited:
Waited for awhile before capturing her looking forward.
$PA061290.jpg

Nice gentleman but going back india next sun, will be back in singapore when the temple need his service to do special prayers again. BTW on deepavali, the temple will be giving out free meals mainly to the foreign workers and it will starts from 4pm onward.
$PA061247.jpg

On top of the tekka market where nobody went to shoot, very quiet with little subject but it is good for your shots as it frame subject out individually.
$PA061220.jpg

Here are some so-so shots to share...

1. The scholar
15456342992_e796c07957_b.jpg

2. Holy break.
15269989220_1817989988_b.jpg

3. Seeking happiness.
15433610686_8cb723f8e1_b.jpg

Would like to thank Wormz777 again for organizing this outing, you did a great job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here are the pick of three favourite shots, the rest of my favourite shots are posted here, Hello Strangers

#4,

#6,

#12,

wormz777 #2
ST_20141006_-_2.jpg

I like contrast in emotions captured here, great eye contact and smile in an excellent candid street portrait.

#1 - Where is the bus?

Practically the last shot of the day. Saw this lady just when I was crossing over to return to the rest of the group. She was positioned perfectly. It was literally, run and gun from the hip. Glad it came out alright.

Where's the bus? by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

#2 - In her own thoughts

While the adults shopped and bargained at the Deepavali stalls, this little girl was more than happy to keep herself occupied with a single peacock feather.
In her own thoughts... by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

#3 - Red, White and You

When I saw the tiled veritcal Red and White stripes, I knew it'd be a great backdrop. Problem was, given the focal length, I pretty much had to stand on the road to get a good close-up. I hung on to the kerb as much as I could, pre-focussed, and waited for the right subject.

Red, White and You. by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

Do comment / critique. Let me know what you think.

The other photos from the set can be found here -- Streets and Moments

Last edited:

It's not always easy to get interesting subjects through the window frame of a vehicle, but you did a great job here, capturing a decisive moment of happiness!

Last edited:
The moment i saw this image, i flipped, fortunately i was looking at it on my tablet. To me it reflected a tear in the fabric of an orderly society. 

The reflected building even looked war torn. Alongside the building seems like flow of blood and the yellow flames of fire. 
Kind of reminded me of a recent unfortunate event which fortunately was resolved with no loss of life on either side.

A grim reminder that we are fortunate to live in a stable society given the escalating tensions in some other parts of the world.

I absolutely love it.

Hi zaren, i hope you don,t mind flipping your image 180degrees for the benefit of those who may attempt to do a headstand in front of their monitor.

zaren #2
CIMG0527a.jpg

the rest of the photos can be found here; http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454538

Waited for awhile before capturing her looking forward.
View attachment 4999

I feel that the girl is placed too far at the side and the de-focused charms at the top middle is distracting. If the girl is in the centre and surrounded by all the decorative stuff (without white canvas) with better lighting, this picture can be a keeper.

Would like to thank Wormz777 again for organizing this outing, you did a great job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#6,

This should be titled "Kopi Break". I am assuming one of them is the lorry driver :):thumbsup:

I like contrast in emotions captured here, great eye contact and smile in an excellent candid street portrait.

This is nice! Great capture! Could easily be on any one of the many posters in Little India!

Thanks for the nice comments. Personally, I feel the ladder spoiled the picture.

However, my biggest takeaway from yesterday shoot was that I gained back some of the confidence which I lost in engaging my subjects :)

These are my 3 faves from yesterday!

Attachments

• $image-788432466.jpg
    $image-788432466.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 9
  • $image-4118797665.jpg
    $image-4118797665.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 12
  • $image-3457533914.jpg
    $image-3457533914.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 8