Photography Talk in NTU

Status
Not open for further replies.

chyeo

May 6, 2002
Woodlands
Dear all, NTU Photo-Videographic Society is organising a talk in NTU in conjunction with ClickArt 2003. Below are the details of the talk:

Topic: Photography in the Real World - Photos that sell
Speaker: Mr John C. Cosgrove (from New Zealand)
Date: 24th March 2003 (Monday)
Time: 5.30pm
Venue: LT 2, North Spine NTU

Admission is free!

Feel free to contact me for more details.

Chean Hiang (a.k.a. chyeo)

BTW, the talk is open to all, not only NTU students.

Talk is on photography in the realistic world, how to make your photos marketable and earn cash. This should interest photographers who are keen on making money. Otherwise, you can learn how to take more professional photographs too.

Speaker is a reknowned photojournalist (I think) from New Zealand.

ClickArt is an annual world photojournalist meet, held in Singapore this year.

Directions for coming to LT 2, NTU:
1) Take 179 or 199 from Boon Lay Interchange
2) Alight at the only overhead bridge in NTU
3) Walk up into the canteen
4) Go up the stairs and keep left
5) Go straight down along the lecture threatres
6) Last one is LT 2

If you are unsure of how to get here, you can call me at 90286858 or 94799265 after 1630 (as I have lessons).

For convenience sake, those who are attending it please leave your name here. Thanks.

What do you feel about the talk? I feel that the talk is way too short.

A photojournalist of John Cosgrove's calibre can deliver a much more informative speech. He only touched on the surface of the topic he is delivering. How many of you has a better understanding and knowledge of taking photographs that can sell after leaving the LT?

The talk seems more like a "carrot" for us to attend to listen to their pubilicity on ClickArt.

Anyone here interested to sign up for ClickArt? :dunno:

If his talk is a preview of the kind of seminars ClickArt is promoting, I, in my opinion, feel that this talk, no doubt it brought more awareness and pubicity to their event, is bad guide of what we will be expecting in June.

ClickArt?

How come you all also kena?
Those who went for the pre competition talk at RI also know about it liddat.

So expensive, tho...

Poledra, the talk by John C. Cosgrove is part of the publicity plan by ClickArt. If not for ClickArt, we would not have this talk. Can you imagine the photography talk took at most only 15 minutes?

Though not many people are impressed by the talks in RI, the Raffles talks are much more inspiring and definately longer in duration, with each speaker taking around 1 hour. Imagine the kind of presentation we had in NTU.

Originally posted by chyeo
Talk is on photography in the realistic world, how to make your photos marketable and earn cash. This should interest photographers who are keen on making money. Otherwise, you can learn how to take more professional photographs too.

From the description of the talk,
I knew nothing more about making my photos more marketable.
I knew nothing more about earning cash from photography.
I knew nothing more about taking more professional photographs.

Furthermore, the noticification of the event is so last minute! I have no lesson on Mondays, and I came to school just to attend this talk. Can you feel the disappointment I have?

:eek:

Well, I would have to agree to all who said that the talk was really very short. However, it is up to you who has to make the best out of it.

For me, I went to work super early at 8:00 am so that I can leave by around 4 pm so that I could go for the talk. On top of this, I paid about $15 for my taxi fare as I was coming from Woodlands and got there early.

Yes, I was disappointed by John's presentation as it was really basic stuff, but what I got out of him more was when people went up to him to ask questions and just talk to him. A very good point that he made was that he double clicks everything he takes. He shares with what he is working on and what he does when he is on assignment and how he goes around to sell his shots.

He shared with us who stayed back this one story. He was in some south pacific island and had photographed nearly every single part of the island. He was super bored, but he noticed one interesting thing about this island that he was on. There was a golf course when there is low tide. So he just spent the rest of the day shooting the golf balls going into the reef in low tide. That one photo essay earned him about $4000.

So if we all were to go to photography talks, it is extremely necessary to talk to the pros and get them to give you tips. I guess from now on, I am going to double click everything that I take from now on.

Originally posted by agape01
A very good point that he made was that he double clicks everything he takes.

What was his rationale for double-clicking?

Btw, I presume double-clicking means taking 2 shots of the same thing?

His rationale is that when you shoot people, the first shot might actually capture a surprised look in which the subject could blink (where the eyelids are down); thus ruining your shot. So by taking the same thing twice, you might get a better shot on the second try.

PVS had not expected that the talk only took 15 mins. In fact, most of our management committee members are taken by surprise by the duration of the talk.

ClickArt had previously requested for the talk to be held at a Canteen in campus at lunch hour. However, due to the inavailablity of PA system in the canteen and insufficient time for booking for a PA system, we decided to hold it at an LT after office hours as most LTs are booked at lunch hour. There was vague information given by ClickArt, such as the length of the talk.

On behalf of the Management Committee of PVS, I apologise for any form of inconvienence and disappointment caused.

Mervyn Lam
Vice President, PVS.

Originally posted by agape01
His rationale is that when you shoot people, the first shot might actually capture a surprised look in which the subject could blink (where the eyelids are down); thus ruining your shot. So by taking the same thing twice, you might get a better shot on the second try.

So he was making this statement in the context of shooting people only right?

Actually, he was referring to everything that he takes. Not only portraits, but scenics, street shooting and everything else in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.