Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyesthruthelens

Deregistered
Sep 3, 2003
Sengkang
Visit site
Hi,
I just signed up with PSS in late Dec 03 and want to gather some feedback from the members of this forum if anyone has attended any of the courses or outing conducted / organized by them?
Is it good ?
Outing
Courses

Beside organized cources and outing, any other benefits, wonder if there is any other benefits gained as a PSS member..

I understand they organised indoor shoot on Sundays. Not sure which Sunday though. Facilities at their studio is limited too.

for indoor shoot, modal post cannot change, lighthing cannot change, too many ppl, everybody was given 1 minute for shoot. aperture & shutter speed was inform. due to space constraint, everyone will get same photo :)

good for new b tot

They have a critique session on Fridays in the evenings. Bring yr slides or prints and present them to the more experience photogs n "old birds" for comment. Be prepared for a no holds barred critique session tho. Also go for their LRPS, APPS and FRPS certifications where yr work is judged by external judges from the photographic/imaging industry. Personally I don't think the outings are of much use but look out for their overseas trips.

You are familiar with their indoor shoot. Are they held weekly or which Sunday. Thanks.

I joined PSS recently too, although I have not received the membership details yet.

They have courses ranging from basic photography to studio to lighting, etc. (check out www.pss1950.org). I just attended the Creative & Travel photography course in January. It was about 6 classroom lessons plus 2 outings (morning & evening). Well, I'm not sure how one would quantify benefits from the courses, but one thing for sure, photography is a very subjective art. You get 10 photographers to shoot a subject and likelihood is that you may find 10 different images with varying composition or angle. I've seen it from the images we all took during those outings.

personally, what I learnt from the course is how others view or see objects and then I adapt my own style with it.

There are also photo competition which PSS organizes. The 2003 one ran on a bi-monthly basis and I think the last competition is due end Feb 2004. Theme for this month is "People". Competition are fun too... if u're into that kinda fun.

If u're a member and not sure where to start, visit the place at Selegie Arts Ctr. Also, go up to the 3rd floor - they occassionally have exhibits up there. Not sure if the Singapore River monochrome is still there... but good way to learn is to look at others' work.

-Wai Kit

Hi,
Just to update on the PSS activities.. (surprising, just after I started the post on what PSS can offer to their members). Lately, there are a lot of courses posting from the PSS.. email to the members..
For new photographers that just took up digital photography, recommend to join the PSS club.. Visit their website for registration..

http://www.pss1950.org/

i sent an e-mail to them with some question but never got any reply

Don't bother to send emails to them. They hardly reply ;( . If you need info,
Call them its much faster. Also, their operational hours also kind of odd and their staff work on shift patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.