[Photography Settings] Rich & Colourful Image Settings

Jonathan Toh

Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone!

I need some assistance is my camera settings. I have been taking photo of my "products" myself but it isn't as rich as how others do it.

Lighting Issues?
My lighting conditions are just my house light during the night.
Thinking of having a bulb nearby and put some paper to cover it to get the "okok lighting"

How do I take photo like these?

DH5kEYp.png

uC0pCEn.png

The photo I've taken are like these T.T
etdBAJc.jpg

using D600 canon
F4.5(I dont know about this LOL)
ISO 100
3"2
White Balance : White Fluorecent Light
Picture Style : Portrait
AF Mode : One Shot
Tripod(Takes about 2-3 Seconds to snap the image because it isn't very bright here - night)

Fact : Night , Home Ceiling Light, Tripod , I love Auto mode (But nah ~ )
I was wondering if Picture Style was the main cause

Question - Physics : What kind of condition would be the best for images? "Short Shot or Long Shot(Few Seconds) or Doesn't matter?

Any advice how I can get that rich shot ? :(

Try to shoot during the day instead? If you don't have flash and light modifiers I suggest shooting near your window (obviously must be during the day when there's sun)

I suggest you read up about the very basics of photography. It will help you understanding what the camera does. Right now you try to tinker at some special effects when even the basics are not there (see your comment of f/4.5). It's like trying to fix the taste of a dish by putting it into a different bowl.
We have newbies guides here as sticky threads where you can learn the basics and try for yourself:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
This should help you with the basic settings.

With regards to product photography indoors I reccoend reading here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380901

Last but not least, I would suggest making additional adjustments with the Canon software that came with your camera. The software allows you make multiple changes in a selective way where you can easily see the results. in-camera settings are rather 'hit and miss style'.
When using the software make sure you have a decently calibrated monitor (see Digital Darkroom section for more).

I am not touching here the topic of how to present / position your products. That's something that you and / or your clients need to define.

Question - Physics : What kind of condition would be the best for images? "Short Shot or Long Shot(Few Seconds) or Doesn't matter?

Doesn't matter, more important is the lighting. If you are taking photos of objects that doesn't move, then the lighting will determine what shutter speed you use (not forgetting the other variables in the exposure triangle).

If you look at your shot, the white balance is off (reference the white areas in both images), it's a bit too blue-greenish
Secondly there is some image blur - is your tripod or tripod-head stable?

Mod Octarine has pointed out some very useful resources, and brapodam gave you a very big hint. Guess have to take some time to do some reading up

Product photography looked deceptively simple until I started trying out ;)

Hello everyone!

I need some assistance is my camera settings. I have been taking photo of my "products" myself but it isn't as rich as how others do it.

Lighting Issues?
My lighting conditions are just my house light during the night.
Thinking of having a bulb nearby and put some paper to cover it to get the "okok lighting"

How do I take photo like these?

The photo I've taken are like these T.T

using D600 canon
F4.5(I dont know about this LOL)
ISO 100
3"2
White Balance : White Fluorecent Light
Picture Style : Portrait
AF Mode : One Shot
Tripod(Takes about 2-3 Seconds to snap the image because it isn't very bright here - night)

Fact : Night , Home Ceiling Light, Tripod , I love Auto mode (But nah ~ )
I was wondering if Picture Style was the main cause

Any advice how I can get that rich shot ? :(

Needs more light...best is day light....u can also adjust the white balance...for slow shutter speeds u should use a tripod..

First learn the basics of your camera. After that learn the basics of lighting

Yeah, shoot in daylight. You don't have to go out -- window light will do.

And as you suspected, Portrait is probably the wrong Picture style if you want vivid colours. I think there's one called Vivid. Or set your own Picture Style, adjusting Saturation in particular. Easy to change, and free to try.

The photos you posted have white balance and focus problem. There is no shortcut to producing good product image, invest some time in learning the basics as suggested by mod.

Photography is drawing with light

If your light is bad, it is hard to have a good photo