Photography schools

Not open for further replies.


New Member
Dec 16, 2004
I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post this thread and I must apologize if its not. But I wasn't sure where else to post this.

Would like to ask, if someone is interested in pursuing a photography career and wants to study photography in depth, what are some good schools/universities that can be recommended from overseas?
And do these schools require you to always show a strong portfolio before they consider you or does it differ from school to school?

Any other advice/comments will be appreciated.

Thanks alot. :)


New Member
Jan 29, 2002
Visit site
There are several insitution of note (read as the school has a brand name) in the US. Europe and some say Australia. Any school worth its name will require you to submit a portfolio on application. Weak or bad or no portfolios cases normally do not make the admission grade - its the same like you applied to read engineering - you need to have the appropriate A level grades.

One point to note - the pool of opportunity does not really look that lucracative locally - the big market is the US but there the problem is that talent is a dime a dozen and you do have to be really good to stand out.


Senior Member
Feb 16, 2004
If you have the time and money, take up some short courses here to learn your fundamentals in photography. At the same time, do some research on the available universities out there. There are probably several places you can read RMIT in Melbourne (3 yrs full time degree in photography), also can try some institutions in New York, etc. but they dont come cheap.


Jun 3, 2005
I have the same paasion with you but the big problems is I have a family.

What I would like to advice you to do, is to take some short course frist (objective or NAFA).

Temasak Poly Has a photography course and some of the lecturers are very good and I mean very good. Be prepare to go through hell. There is where you learn.

Singapore Poly has a photography course. they have a Japanese lecturers forget the name of the lecturers.

If you still want to further your course. Try some school in US or UK. I know there is a good school in UK (St. Martin).

Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom