photography-friendly places

Status
Not open for further replies.
no i'm not.i love sgp.but i hate the venues and laws governing photography.
dont forget they think sgp has many locations because they are tourists and prob carry pns?:dunno: sgp services tends to be bias-slant toward tourists dont you think?:dunno:

Not necessarily tourists. For example, I have heard of serious amateur photographers saying that they do not know where else to shoot at in their hometown. But when you bring visitors to that city, these out of towners often see many things that the local photographers had never thought of being interesting to shoot at.

When you look for a location to shoot at, sometimes don't think too big. Think simple. Often times, those secluded, normal-looking, not pretty looking, and less famous places can be good locations for photography.

i'm really thinking of 'booking' the lots there, do a model shoot with cars.(i'm serious)
just that i havent check with authorities but i doubt they will entertain.

i'm really thinking of 'booking' the lots there, do a model shoot with cars.(i'm serious)
just that i havent check with authorities but i doubt they will entertain.

Call them lah... I'm sure something can be negotiated.

BC

Not necessarily tourists. For example, I have heard of serious amateur photographers saying that they do not know where else to shoot at in their hometown. But when you bring visitors to that city, these out of towners often see many things that the local photographers had never thought of being interesting.

When you look for a location to shoot at, sometimes don't think too big. Think simple. Often times, those secluded, normal-looking, not pretty looking, and less famous places can be good locations for photography.

thanks for the tip.will remember in mind.
btw, any of these secluded, normal looking, not pretty looking and less famous places to recommended a noob like me?;)

I frequently shoot at millenia walk where the water fall is...no issue..
As for Chimes, if you are not in a crowd and not disturbing anyone else, shooting there is ok. I also did several session there with my family.
For Hotel lobby, (Fuleton and Pan-pac) go there on Sunday where there is lots of people..this will not attract attention to yourself. I did some there too.

All in all I think as long as you do not disturb the people around and keep the noise down also not too obvious, no one will chase you off.

As for Chimes, if you are not in a crowd and not disturbing anyone else, shooting there is ok. I also did several session there with my family.
For Hotel lobby, (Fuleton and Pan-pac) go there on Sunday where there is lots of people..this will not attract attention to yourself. I did some there too.

All in all I think as long as you do not disturb the people around and keep the noise down also not too obvious, no one will chase you off.

thanks for tips.
i would prefer to shoot without worries, than having to worry every minute we will get chased off.it's kind of embarassing.:embrass:

For a start, check out this thread for some inspiration.

i already did.and went through most of the locations.
most are naturescapes IIRC n doesnt need permissions.:embrass: :dunno:

Oh yeah, that's a good thread that I almost forgot. I think there must be at least a few places that you can use. I guess it all depends on the theme of your shoot too. But then again, themes don't always have be shot in certain locations that correlate with the theme. Breaking the rules (not the laws ;p ) by shooting in an unusual location for that theme sometimes could look interesting too.

I think there is usually no problem taking a camera shooting your family or friends. But our Jeanie here is going to bring her reflectors, strobes, tripod, lightstands, models, cars, large lenses, team of photography assistants, maybe stylist,...

BC:sweat:

Oh yeah, that's a good thread that I almost forgot. I think there must be at least a few places that you can use. I guess it all depends on the theme of your shoot too. But then again, themes don't always have be shot in certain locations that correlate with the theme. Breaking the rules (not the laws ;p ) by shooting in an unusual location for that theme sometimes could look interesting too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Couldn't agree more with SilentWave.

If you want some suggestions, here they are
1. Chinatown
2. Little India
3. Lorong Buangkok
4. Ubin

I think some places will allow Jeanie to do that as long as she is willing to pay the property owner whatever they are charging for professional works.

Jeanie, the point is, all the places you suggested were all shot to hell already. Why go there? Oh, one of those, Chijmes, can be arranged for free. Did a shoot there once. JUst have to get permisison before hand, and to assure them none of the pictures will be used commercially.

Back to my point, go find places to shoot. There are many places, no one knows or very few people know, shoot there until everyone starting to show up. Early morning is always great time to shoot. The light is beautiful, and there is hardly anyone around.

I think most locations you suggested are pretty okie... but jeanie is bringing a whole studio down which will prove quite hard for the property owner to swallow and believe she is not doing commercially. How many of us hobbyist brings a whole F1 team down for location shoot? jeanie, have you tried writing in to someone who is in charge rather than the normal receptionists who are taught to play safe most of the time?

Yah lor... SG so boring....

Did you mention you'll pay? Simple lah... Book a plane, fly ur models,MUAs and all the equpt to some europe countries loh....

Why bother to 'trap' a filthy rich gal like yourself in SG?

:)

good one.millenia walk allowed?
you can shoot at millenia walk, but you need to fill in your particular and grt the pass from the security desk, think they should still doing the same thing now, my last visit was about 2 years ago.

Anyway, like DP says, many places you can shoot, with going thru proper channel, talk to the right person, get the permission, fill in the paper work, you are free to shoot.

If trying to do it sneaky, challenging the system, telling the security guard off, are just simply disgrace the name of photographers.

Just to clarfy, I doubt that you are trespassing if you went in to a private place normally open to the public and take photos without permission. I reckon that it is only AFTER you have been asked to leave and you remain, that you are tresspassing.

So ya, just a minor inaccuracy.

Yes, while there is no law (as far as I know) that restricts anyone from taking pictures in the public (that includes anyone can just take pic of anyone on the street), for private properties, you will have to seek for permission. Otherwise there will be not much of difference from trespassing...

I think there is usually no problem taking a camera shooting your family or friends. But our Jeanie here is going to bring her reflectors, strobes, tripod, lightstands, models, cars, large lenses, team of photography assistants, maybe stylist,...

BC:sweat:

correction.

strobes?sb800 so small also count ah?
tripod?i dont use it for portraiture
lightstands?for what?
models, usually 1, most 2.
cars?only 1.if i intend to do a model/car shot.
large lenses?105dc very large meh?
TEAM OF Photography assistants?haaaaalllloowww!you really think i pro or what?
remember .... HOBBY ONI!!!!!!!
stylist?yes, i have one which i always use.and i usually book her one full day.
so in total, about 4-5persons max.no fanciful outdoor equipment, and no 'meant-to-blow-leaves-wind-machine'.:bsmilie:

wave, give me some ideas.
my friend just ask me to shoot her.she told me she leave everything to me.
so, is a theme really a must?:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.