Photography Courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many courses all over in Singapore.

Some are organised by "ancient" photographic societies, some organised by private organisations like Objectifs, Knowledge Bowl, SLCC, Nature @ Work etc, some organised by private individual.

I used to be a member of PSS (Photographic Society of Singapore), SCPS and Photoart Association.

I was taught by my guru Steven Yee whom is now operating Knowledge Bowl (KB) and teaching the courses there. I have also attended some courses at other places.

So far, personally, I feel a beginner will learn a lot from Steven Yee. Though he is young, he has a string of credentials and according to his website he has todate more than 2000 students in his past 7 years of track record in coaching. His candid approach made me attend his other courses as well. His popular advance classes include the Art of Seeing which he now renamed as DSLR Photography Course (Advance Level) - Creative Photography.

For Nature photography, I learnt a lot from Raymond Chua. But the place where he teaches is really way out of place for me, far away in the West.

Hence, for a beginner, there are a few ways to decide which courses to take:
(1) Duration (are 4 lessons enough to learn Basic Photography?) KB at least is more realistic with 9 lessons at S$200 compared with SLCC 4 lessons at S$210.
(2) Instructors (KB has Steven Yee who no doubt has advantage in terms of experience in coaching and track record in number of students taught compared to SLCC)
(3) Location, both are at Middle Road area but KB is located in Fortune Centre with car park and close to the main road bus stop.
(4) Course syllabus: which course has a better structure to enable the beginner to be grounded well in the basics as well as the workflow?

Well, I am glad that my guru Steven Yee whom I still keep in touch with today, create syllabus and provide locations that fulfil the above criteria,

and of course Raymond Chua (but minus the location)

I used to take up the Basic Photography Course at PSS, but I find it a bit too draggy though it is really cheap at S$144 for 12 lessons (but must pay S$80 for 2 yrs membership). It can be a bit anti climax at one point when Edward and Steven complete their Module 1, 2 and 3 and the rest of the instructors are not on par with Edward and Steven when it comes to presentation skills. Class size also a bit too huge, My batch got about 27 students. Reminds me of those Secondary school days.

Hope the above info is helpful. Ta Ta ;)

Kwowledge bowl located in fortune centre ??? thats a good place for massage, heard the "SKILL" in the parlour there not bad. maybe the students can all go for a mass massage after the lesson conducted by the so called guru. Cheers to the "GURU"
PSS is way better than KB, the environment is more decent, unlike in fortune centre.
Don't eat too much wanton mee, or else you will be as bald as the "GURU"

I have previously compared the syllabus in the earlier days when I first started.

Value for money wise, 9 lessons (2 outdoor practical lessons and 2 practical photoshop indoor lessons) at KB compared with 4 lessons (2 outdoor practical lessons) at SLCC for a basic class beginner. Viability wise, to learn basic photography in 4 lessons? PSS has 12 lessons but it is really like a marathon and we can see people get lesser after the 8th lessons. I gave myself a clap when I finally ended my last session.

It is important to be well grounded fundamentally which is something our guru always tells us, and equate that with practical sessions. This is why the KB basic course got day and night outing. That is also why he came up with the Art of Seeing in PSS which is 90% practical sessions outdoor. This should clarify why he pushed hard for people to attend his Art of seeing workshop in those days, which he has now renamed "DSLR Photography Course (Advance Level) at KB. It is sure a very popular class, but a lot of hard work for the instructor as the returns is not high compared to the other courses at PSS. I think his passion in photography is running in his blood to do it.

I have looked at his KB syllabus and anyone with a sense of judgement can see the logical flow from beginner to the next level.

Rome is not built in a day. A sword made too fast is brittle. Heehee, actually I copied this quote from him. He is another whizkid for strategic management.

Perhaps you would like to scrutinise the whizkid's quote more carefully. A sword will not be brittle when it was made too fast, it will be brittle when the steel is too hard, too much folds (in fact it take more time to fold) too much carbon and not well tempered.

(One more reason for the brittleness of swords which I forgot to include is the cooling down of temperature too fast.)

Rome was not built in a day is not his quote it is a standard English Idiom.

Try not to idolise someone too much, it will blind you.

Kwowledge bowl located in fortune centre ??? thats a good place for massage, heard the "SKILL" in the parlour there not bad. maybe the students can all go for a mass massage after the lesson conducted by the so called guru. Cheers to the "GURU"
PSS is way better than KB, the environment is more decent, unlike in fortune centre.
Don't eat too much wanton mee, or else you will be as bald as the "GURU"

I think this amount to personal attack. Perhaps you should apologise for such attack. A person's skill, the location and how he look has no connection. A lotus stands out from the mud, but that does not mean it is dirty.

It is spelled as Knowledge bowl.

Steven Yee and I have no connection. In fact he and I have more fiction then being friends. Even as such, I sincerely doubt he deserve treatment.

Please give us a break..just a simple question on enquiring for a photography course lehz..:sweat:

Perhaps you would like to scrutinise the whizkid's quote more carefully. A sword will not be brittle when it was made too fast, it will be brittle when the steel is too hard, too much folds (in fact it take more time to fold) too much carbon and not well tempered.

Rome was not built in a day is not his quote it is a standard English Idiom.

Try not to idolise someone too much, it will blind you.

I don't think it is simple idol worship.
It looks to me like she had an axe to grind with SLCC and my search found this:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=120616
Guess she's still smarting from being slapped by many people for her false accusation.

Hi...

Mi just join SLCC 42nd Basic photography course,,
instuctor is wei liang for a grp of 8~10..

all i can say is for newbies like mi...
Lesson 1 already value for money liao..
I.E, e type of lens to use / buy, how to bargain..
wat to look out for when taking diff type of shoots..
all e nitty gritty info n tips a greenhorn shall require..

And some qn we asking in class is realli e "dunno le.. orh issit?" type..
yet, he still patiently explain le..

Looking for 2nd lesson w outdoor shoots..

Cheers
Peng

How about the practical? :D

Surprized me that Truth-Photographer=Steven Yee who is the owner and instructor of Knowledge Bowl. refer to :

http://forum.clubsnap.com/showpost.php?p=3152583&postcount=173

Both account got de-registered.

And in a nutshell, it seems that SLCC has many different user names in clubsnap. I am trying to filter them out. I prefer honest postings from real genuine clubsnappers. This forum should not be misused.

Come on...... this is irritating! Anyway, good marketing effort though.

The pot is calling the kettle black!

Enough is enough, there no point flogging a dead horse.

I suggest you take a break. The incident has already come to a closed as per the other thread.

I am closing this thread to prevent any more OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.